2nd Trimester
Options

which pump do you choose?

I'm trying to figure out whcih breast pump I should get.

Thinking about the hospital grade Medela. I also have heard about the Lansinoh Affintiy, but not sure if its as high quality.

What are your thoughts? Im a first timer so I'm totally lost! :)

Re: which pump do you choose?

• Options
    I'm a huge fan of Medela PIS or PISA are good ones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagemrsjengle:
    I'm a huge fan of Medela PIS

This is the one I'm going with.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have used Medela in the past and it held up great to pumping all day everyday for months with two sets of twins.  If you have the funds it's the only pump you will ever need.  I wouldn't waste money on the cheaper ones only because it may not work as well as I would hate to ruin my milk supply if I end up having to pump.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

The hospital has the Medela PIS for rent for 64.20 a month.

But Target has it for $300 with a back pack. I am only going to pump. So should I just buy it instead of renting?

• Options
    I used the Medela PIS with my son and it worked great!  I plan on using it again this time!  The cheaper ones just don't empty you all the way so I'd go ahead and spend a little more to get a good pump!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am a mom of a premie and had to pump for several months. I loved my medela pump in style (wich does both breasts and once) It was great for going back to work too. I started out renting the hospital pump and then after a month switched to my pump in style and actually like the pump in style better than the hospital one. It is easy to use and my milk supply stayed up great until I could actually bf and like I said it worked at work too. It came in a nice bag too for transport. Worth every penny.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagepreggocraigo:

But Target has it for $300 with a back pack. I am only going to pump. So should I just buy it instead of renting?

If you are going to pump for five months or more, it makes sense economically to buy it. plus, you can always pass it on or sell it when you no longer need it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagepreggocraigo:

For sure buy and dont rent. You will more than pay for it. Watch the sales and the target coupons for this because I got mine for $250 a couple years ago. Worth the money.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I bought the Medela Freestyle Pump when I was preg with DS.  Gonna use it again for this one too.  I loved it.

Go to Medela's website & you can compare all the pumps to see which is best for you!

Medela Breastpumps    <-- Opens in new window

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • Options

I used a Medela Freestyle with my first.  I plan to use it again.

It's got a nifty LED display and it has a rechargeable battery.  It was great for pumping at work.

• Options

I loved my Medela PISA.  I pumped exclusively for 10 months with #1 and on and off with #2 and it is still going strong.  I've only had to replace the normal wear parts and I got new tubing before #2 free from Medela.

I just wanted to give you a few pieces of advice.  Some insurance companies (depending on your plan) will cover a Pump or put it towards you deductible.  You will need to call them to see what they require and probably get a prescription from your OB/lactation consultant.

If you are going to be doing a lot of pumping invest in a Hands Free Pumping Bra. I got mine from Easy Expressions.  It allows you to eat lunch, read, or play on the computer while you pump. (I even drove while pumping)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am going with Lanisinoh. My sister has it and loves it. Her friend had the Medela and after trying the Lansinoh immediately went out and switched. It is more in our price range as well.

*YCSWU June Siggy*

DS Born May 5th, 2012

Baby #2 due November 19th, 2015

• Options

I really liked my Medela PISA.  I don't think the Lansinoh is as good but it's not a bad option.  The Ameda Purely Yours is very popular too.  If you'll only be pumping occasionally and want to save some money, you could easily get by with the Medela Swing.

Just to clarify, the Medela PISA is not a hospital grade pump.  The Symphony and Lactina are Medela's hospital grade, closed system pumps (see here).  I don't think it's worth renting the PISA for $63/month when you can buy your own for $200-250.  Just make sure you don't open it until you need it.  It can be returned as long as the box is still sealed.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    I used a Medela PISA for 11 months and I have no complaints.  It did the job and did it well.
  • Options
    I used the medela freestyle. I pumped in my car a lot so it was great for me. I'll use it again although I might replace the battery.
  • Options
    I have heard nothing but good things about Medela pumps
    TTC since November 2010
    BFP: March 22, 2011 M/C: April 8, 2011 @ 7 weeks
    BFP: June 29, 2011!!! Crossing my fingers for a sticky baby :)
    LO Born early March 2012 We are so blessed image
  • Options
    I managed with a manual for 11 months but I was always with T and had a crazy supply. At 11 months I bought a Medela Swing because I was leaving her for a few nights and I could not pump enough for her with the manual. I love the swing. I highly recommend it for anyone who does not need to build a huge supply but wants the option to store a few bottles here and there. 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for all your advice! It has been very helpful! :)
  • Options
    I registered for the medela because it seemed like the easiest one to get replacement parts for if I lose or break something. There are seriously a dozen places around where I live to get them, plus the internet. Some of the other brands I would have to drive 20 minutes to BRU or order online and wait for them to ship.
  • Options
    I have the Lansinoh Affinty I love it. It is a closed system, unlike Medela which is an open system and milk can get into the motor an cause mold issues. However I will say it dose not have a car adapter to pump in the car with say if you are out for the day away from you LO. Since I will be in school full time next fall and will need to pump while I am away from LO I am looking into getting a new pump that has a car adapter to it.
  • Options
    imagepreggocraigo:

The Medela PIS is not a closed-system pump, meaning that breastmilk from another mom can back up into the pump and contaminate the same pump that you would be using.  For this reason, I would never rent or buy a used pump.  Also, if you are going to pump for more than 5 months, it will pay for itself if you just buy a pump.  The Medela Symphony is the hospital grade pump and is a closed-system, and so it it safe for multiple users.

To the OP:

I used a Medela Freestyle with my first who was a preemie and wasn't able to latch.  It is hands free and it operates with a rechargeable batter, so you can walk around a pump....which was a god-send for multi-tasking with a newborn.  GL with your decision!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"