Food Allergy

What do I eat... What do I do?

Had an appointment with the Pediatrician GI today.  He was really great but his suggestion was that I cut out the following:

Wheat, Corn, Dairy, Soy, Green Beans, Bananas, Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Eggs, Carrots, Potatos, Sweet Potatos, and Peas.

What the heck do I eat?  I've already cut out dairy.  And I cut out soy a week ago.  But I have no clue what I can realistically survive on while breastfeeding if I cut all those things out of my diet.

I am so close to just switching to formula... but am scared to because sometimes the only way to comfort DD is to nurse her. 

Any advice?

Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do I eat... What do I do?

• I'm so sorry.. that list is deep.  HUGS!

i would eat avocados (guacamole style) for the fats

make yourself bean burgers (can you have panko? or any type of crackers? if so.. drain a can of beans, add panko or crushed crackers, safe veggies, ketchup and bake) ..i make this in meatball style or burger style.

How about Quinoa with baked apples and some cinnamon and brown sugar. yum!

i'll add if i think of anything else. 

• Thanks for the reply, magdusia... no I can't have avocados (I'm slightly allergic).  I don't know if I can have panko, I will have to take a look at it though.  Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I am pretty close to just switching to formula.

Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry! We are trying to make the switch to formula because my eliminations aren't working and I'm having such a hard time finding things to eat.

But at 8 months he is so attached to the breast he isn't taking to the bottle or sippy :(

Hang in there!! GL!

::hugs:: 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh you poor thing!!!   No--panko actually has wheat...which SUCKS!  What we do for breading is actually grind up rice chex.  Maybe you can have that???

Let me tell you this first of all---yeah for you doing all you can for your LO.  Secondly, I want to say that I'm so glad you are finding out early what your LO is allergic to (or possibly allergic to).  I don't know the backstory--what's been happening???

I wish I would have found out with DS1 earlier--we didn't know until he had an anaphylactic reaction at his first birthday that he was allergic to wheat, egg, dairy, soy, peanuts and tree nuts.  Yeah--all that were in his cake!  Prior to that, I knew he was possibly allergic to milk--I had BF'd and he was very unhappy.  Blowouts all the time, rashes, etc.  Docs said no allergy though.  When I intro'd formula---he had an instant rash all over his face.  

I was still BFing when the diagnosis came--and honestly, the allergist was no help.  she said they don't really know the amount that goes in to breastmilk, etc etc--blah blah---. 

So when DS2 was born and we knew right away he had a milk allergy (gut feeling on my part and some rashes/etc)---we had his poop tested and it came back high.  I was given the choice to eliminate stuff, but then what do I eliminate to know for sure????  Just like what you are dealing with.  So I made the decision to stop and switch to alimentum formula.  BEST decision ever.  Within about 2 wks he was a new baby and super happy. 

Maybe it's coincidence--but he hasn't been as sick as DS1 was up to this point either.  (knocking on wood).  I would imagine allergic responses shut down the immune system so that's why DS1 was always sick.  And now we've eliminated hopefully most by switching to the formula = overall health and happiness for all.

So go with what you feel you need to but after MANY tears on my part--I realized that his tears were far more important than mine.  And as long as he was fed...and fed the stuff that wasn't going to hurt him---that I was doing the best I could.  You will both be happier.  And honestly--the sooner you do it, the better for both of you.  This could be a great Christmas gift! 

((hugs)) 

• Oh geez. Being in the same boat, on Ted for the last 2 months, I would say switch if your baby is still unhappy. I'm trying to switch but think we waited too long and she will not take a bottle, no matter what is in it. Hang in there momma. You rock. Wish I knew someone like you irl so we could commiserate in person . 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try Namaste mixes if you can get them (I get mine at Whole Foods).  They're pretty much top 8 free and some are even sugar free!  Eat lots of beans, lentils are great, and if baking Ener-g egg replacer works great.  Good luck!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• imagesmiling76:

Oh you poor thing!!!   No--panko actually has wheat...which SUCKS!  What we do for breading is actually grind up rice chex.  Maybe you can have that???

Let me tell you this first of all---yeah for you doing all you can for your LO.  Secondly, I want to say that I'm so glad you are finding out early what your LO is allergic to (or possibly allergic to).  I don't know the backstory--what's been happening???

I wish I would have found out with DS1 earlier--we didn't know until he had an anaphylactic reaction at his first birthday that he was allergic to wheat, egg, dairy, soy, peanuts and tree nuts.  Yeah--all that were in his cake!  Prior to that, I knew he was possibly allergic to milk--I had BF'd and he was very unhappy.  Blowouts all the time, rashes, etc.  Docs said no allergy though.  When I intro'd formula---he had an instant rash all over his face.  

I was still BFing when the diagnosis came--and honestly, the allergist was no help.  she said they don't really know the amount that goes in to breastmilk, etc etc--blah blah---. 

So when DS2 was born and we knew right away he had a milk allergy (gut feeling on my part and some rashes/etc)---we had his poop tested and it came back high.  I was given the choice to eliminate stuff, but then what do I eliminate to know for sure????  Just like what you are dealing with.  So I made the decision to stop and switch to alimentum formula.  BEST decision ever.  Within about 2 wks he was a new baby and super happy. 

Maybe it's coincidence--but he hasn't been as sick as DS1 was up to this point either.  (knocking on wood).  I would imagine allergic responses shut down the immune system so that's why DS1 was always sick.  And now we've eliminated hopefully most by switching to the formula = overall health and happiness for all.

So go with what you feel you need to but after MANY tears on my part--I realized that his tears were far more important than mine.  And as long as he was fed...and fed the stuff that wasn't going to hurt him---that I was doing the best I could.  You will both be happier.  And honestly--the sooner you do it, the better for both of you.  This could be a great Christmas gift! 

((hugs)) 

Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"