Attachment Parenting
Options

Can someone please explain baby-led weaning to me?

I read about it a bit in my LLL BFing book, and the theory makes sense, but it still makes me a bit nervous. Can the baby really just be trusted to eat "real" food as their first experience and not choke? I would love to hear the experiences of people who have gone this route.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

Re: Can someone please explain baby-led weaning to me?

• Options

I am nervous about the choking, too. When I give D bigger pieces of food to play with and when he swallows something too big... he throws it up, along with whatever else he's eaten that sitting.

I do see that he likes to play with food and he really enjoys feeding himself, but I'm laying off and not going at it too hard for now. I am doing more with the mesh food bags until it starts to click a little better for him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our family LOVES baby led solids. DD got the hang of it around 9 months old and has been a pretty solid eater since then. Her favorite thing to eat is soup from the crockpot with stewing beef and whatever veggies we have on hand. The beef gets very tender and puts my mind at ease concerning the matter of iron intake. I read the book that was suggested (Baby Led Weaning) before we began and it was very helpful. The safety tips are crucial (never put food in baby's mouth, baby must be able to sit unassisted, knowledge of the difference between gagging and choking and appropriate reactions). The first couple of months were challenging because family thought we were nuts but they relaxed when they watched her push large bits of food out rather than choke on them. Have fun! Your LO certainly will!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our experience was like what PP described.  Except we didn't do "chunks" of food, but rather long food that extended past her fist--baked sweet potato fries, broccoli.  It took DD while to even consider opening her fist to get to the food inside
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As others said, I would definitely recommend reading the book which it explains it better than I could.  DD is 10 months old and we LOVE BLW.  It was slow-going at first but at this point DD eats everything.  People are always amazed and a few moms have even decided to do BLW just by seeing her eat.  One of the best decisions I have made as a Mom.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"