High-Risk Pregnancy

Coumadin/Lovenox

hi ladies,

So I am on coumadin, and will be switching to lovenox tomorrow as long as all looks good with my bloodwork. I had a m/c last month and was on my lovenox for about 3 weeks. I just found out I was pregnant again last wednesday. It is still early and I am getting my blood re-checked tomorrow to make sure HCG and progesterone are rising as they should be and then I will go back on my lovenox. I really hate injecting myself and my husband is not good with even the sight of needles. I had just gotten my INR back to therapeutic range when I found out I was pregnant again....I'm just nervous to go off and start lovenox then have another m/c and have to go through the INR thing all again......

Re: Coumadin/Lovenox

• When I found out I was PG I was currently taking 5MG of Coumadin.   The Dr's took me off of the coumadin and started my Lovenox at 7 weeks.   I had about a week of no treatment.  I suffered a DVT in my right calf after breaking my foot over the summer.   So far, so good with me.   I'm sure you will be fine, hang in as the whole process is stressful.   Congrats

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Can I butt in on this conversation for a second? I am new to the Coumadin world - I thought that it was an absolute no-no to take while pregnant, but it sounds like both of you were on it for at least a little bit while pg before switching to Lovenox.

I had a PE after giving birth to my son last month. Since I can't use the pill, and for various reasons (including metal and latex allergies) don't have many other bc options available to me, I have been terrified of an oops while on Coumadin. Like really, really terrified. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I read this post. In your experience, was the Coumadin ok until the BFP? We would like to try again once we feel ready and have the all clear from all my docs. So I could live with an oops as long as the Coumadin won't do massive harm to the baby in that "I didn't know I was pregnant" timeframe.

Not that I want to get pregnant on Coumadin, but knowing that an oops wouldn't be as devastating as I was imagining would help me relax a lot over the next 5 months.

• Loading the player...
  • It is ok to be on coumadin in the very begining of your pregnancy. I had consulted my hematologist before getting pregnant and she saaid that the first couple months of pregnancy would not be affected by the coumadin. However once you know you are pregnany they prefer you to switch over to the lovenox- withing the first trimester. So you will be fine if you get pregnant while on it. Just let your doctor know as soon as your pregnant and they can get you switched over.
  • Oh my goodness, you have no idea how relieved I am right now. I will ask at the clinic tomorrow when my INR gets checked to confirm, but it is so good to hear this. I am not planning on TTC right now - my body and heart need time to heal. But knowing that an oops would not be catastrophic will make me much more relaxed. (my husband thanks you!)
  • My MFM Dr and Hemo both stated that as long as you stop the coumadin before 6 weeks everything should be fine.   They stated that the only issue is that baby could be born with yellow bones.. but who sees your bones?.   My PG was a Oops, a happy opps since I couldn't take BC because of my DVT.  My only recommendation is that if you suspect you are PG .. take a test and stop the coumadin..

Good Luck;)

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"