Parenting

RP: If you had a Fetal Growth Ultrasound

Has anyone had a growth ultrasound -- around 37 weeks? If so, why, what did they look at, and what was the outcome?

I'm measuring a little over 2 weeks ahead and have been consistantly for 3 weeks now. My doctor said at my 36w appt if I'm still measuring ahead she's going to order a growth u/s at 37w.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: RP: If you had a Fetal Growth Ultrasound

• With DD I had 2 'extra' USs at 37 and 39 weeks because I had GD and they were worried DD might get too big. It was alot like the US around 20 weeks, the tech took measurements of the baby and I got copies.

I was induced the day before my EDD because the US aren't exactly accurate, they are about +/- one pound. So if they say baby is measuring about 7 pounds, that could mean a 6 or 8 pound baby really. I think it depends alot on the skill of the tech and how good their measurements are.

DD ended up being 6 pounds 15 oz and the last US they estimated her at 8 pounds.

DS came a couple of weeks early, but I was suppose to get growth US with him as well. I actually called and canceled the US appt the morning after I gave birth.

• Yep, had them with both kids around that time to see if they were bigger than expected.  I measured 3-5 weeks ahead with both kids and they estimated the babies to be 8 lbs a couple weeks before my EDD so they wanted to see what they were dealing with.  Both were born under 8 lbs and measured right on track at the u/s.  I think it's just for liabilitiy purposes.  In case the baby is super large, they don't want a surprise or potentially bad outcome because they weren't informed. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't remember all the specifics, but they measured a few things (head and femur... probably some others as well) and came up with a percentile. With both of my kids it was quite accurate. The u/s put them in the 25th-30th percentile and that's what they were (for weight) when they were born. But I've seen many stories where someone was told they'd have a 9-10 pounder and ended up having average sized babies. 
  • I never measured ahead but I had a growth u/s with DS (my 2nd pregnancy).  DD was 9lbs 3oz and I had a lot of bleeding after delivery, so they didn't want me to deliver DS vaginally if he was looking to be over 9lbs.  The 37wk ultrasound measured him to be about 8lbs 10oz so they decided to wait and see.  I went into labor 3 days later, delivered vaginally quick and easy, and he was 9lbs even.

I think they measured his head, belly and femur in that u/s.

GL!

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • I had one at 36 weeks with DD.  She was consistently measuring 3-ish weeks behind so they were concerned about her growth.  I also had one at 28 and 32 weeks.  She was in the 7th percentile if I remember correctly, based on her head, stomach and femur measurements.  If she had been any smaller they were going to induce me at 37 weeks.  The outcome was that she was still above the 5th percentile so they did not induce (well they did be for other reasons at that point.)

I wanted to add that they estimated DD to be just under or at 6lbs and a week later she was born at 5lb 5oz.  So it was a fairly close estimate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had them for different reasons. DS was at risk for IUGR, so the US was to make sure he was still growing well in-utero.

DD it was because she'd measured big all along and they wanted to have an idea of how big she was going to be.  But they also look at amniotic fluid levels - too much or too little fluid can be an indication of problems.

• I had one around 36 weeks? Maybe a week or so earlier. I was measuring 6 weeks ahead (!!!).

They wanted to check my fluid levels and check the baby's size.

The baby was big, fluid was fine.  He ended up being 9 lbs 1 oz when I had him at 38 weeks (he came on his own) and all was fine.

imageimage
  • I had two at the end of my pregnancy with Joey, one the day before I had my c-section at 39w,2d (and one around 37w).  They estimated he was going to be 9.5-10lbs.  He was 8lbs 15oz so just shy of 9lbs.

• I had one with my second because my first was 9'11".  I was hoping to VBAC so at 38 weeks they did an estimate which put DS at 8'13" at that time.  He was born at 39 weeks, 4 days at 8"14 so I think he was likely around 8' at the time of the estimate.
  • I had one with #1.  It was similar to 20 week, except that laying there on your back is TORTURE!  I actually got really dizzy.  Luckily that was right at the end, so I rolled over on my side facing away from the tech while she plugged in a few last numbers and then FREAKED OUT when she said "OHHHHH...MYYYYY GOD!"  I thought my kid had 2 heads or something.  Well, apparently she had never "had an ultrasound measure so large!"  It estimated T. to be 11lbs 11oz. "give or take a pound"  Soooo, I opted for c-section...immediately.  T. ended up being a petite 10lbs 3 oz..and that was 9 days early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"