June 2011 Moms

Update: Is my kid really that behind?

Took LO for his 6 month appointment today and the doctor put me at ease.  As for DS not rolling much at all... doc said that since he's a big boy, it's harder for babies his size to roll so he's not worried.  As far as his  vocalization (not saying 'ma,' 'da," or 'ba' yet), doctor said that as long as he's vocalizing at all, that's all that matters.  For sitting up unassisted, it's considered a 6-9 month skill and since he's doing the "gorilla sit," the doctor says that it will be coming soon.  He advised us to baby proof the house asap because babies tend to just start crawling one day without any warning.  Hard to imagine since LO hates to even roll over, but whatever.

I did tell the pedi LO's new  ability to pass things back and forth between hands and he said that that's an advanced skill for a 6 month old and it's a very important skill at that.  He said most babies can do certain skills... one from column A, one from column B, and one from column C... and that it's rare that all babies are doing everything from the "advanced column."

As far as his flat spot on his head, doc says it's looking better from the last visit so to just continue putting him on his belly and as long as it doesn't get worse, a helmet won't be necessary.

He said it's easy to drive yourself nuts over every little milestone, but most kids do things on their own time and it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong.  My worrying totally reminds me of when I was pregnant.  I remember when I wasn't feeling LO kick inside of me as early as other moms on this board or when LO wasn't kicking as much certain days.  My OBGYN just said to me... "Listen, the kid does what he wants to do.. he's got a mind of his own already and you just have to relax and accept it."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update: Is my kid really that behind?

• Yay! I'm glad you had a good visit, it's hard not to worry about every little thing. Jacob is awesome and you're doing a great job!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree w/PP, you're doing a great job, mama! I think this is one of the toughest parts of parenting - ignoring other people when they insist your kiddo should be doing something. Your little boy sounds like he's doing just fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelynn97:
    I agree w/PP, you're doing a great job, mama! I think this is one of the toughest parts of parenting - ignoring other people when they insist your kiddo should be doing something. Your little boy sounds like he's doing just fine.

This! Good job! That's what we are here for! To encourage you through!

• Great news!! Keep up the good work mama!
  • Its so hard not to get hung up on milestones - I swore to myself that I wouldn't do it this time around because I did it all the time with Thing#1.  You're doing a great job - the fact that you remember to even ask all the questions at the Pedi's office is testament.  I can't even remember 1/2 the things I want to ask and I usually have Thing#1 with me so she adds distraction! LOL 

Out of curiousity - how much did your LO weigh?  My LO hasn't completely rolled on her own yet (here I go, worrying about rolling...) and I have been passing it off to the fact that she is such a little porker!

Keep up the good work!

• imageElatedMom2B:

Its so hard not to get hung up on milestones - I swore to myself that I wouldn't do it this time around because I did it all the time with Thing#1.  You're doing a great job - the fact that you remember to even ask all the questions at the Pedi's office is testament.  I can't even remember 1/2 the things I want to ask and I usually have Thing#1 with me so she adds distraction! LOL 

Out of curiousity - how much did your LO weigh?  My LO hasn't completely rolled on her own yet (here I go, worrying about rolling...) and I have been passing it off to the fact that she is such a little porker!

Keep up the good work!

He's 18lbs 14oz now.  Your LO is 4 months?  I think at 4 months, my LO was 17lbs 4oz.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, they're about the same - she'll be five months this weekend.  At her four month she was 17.9!  She's a chunker!
  • If it makes you feel better our LO one has yet to roll over and she'll be six months on friday. She sits on her own and is VERY talkative but refuses to roll.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Free Disney Tickers Met my soulmate 3/18/2006, married him 9/26/2009 Baby L 11/06 Natural M/C Baby L 2.0 9/08 Natural M/C Lily 6/2/11 6 lbs 12oz
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"