Pregnant after IF
Options

What to expect at first ultrasound?

My first ultrasound with my RE will be tomorrow (Thursday).  I'll be 6 weeks 1 day.

I'm not sure what to expect from my first u/s.  I've never made it this far before!  LOL!

I'm assuming it will be an internal ultrasound only?  Will I get a picture?  What can they really tell this early?  I'm assuming just a heartbeat and measurements?

My nurse also told me when I last spoke to her that I'll stay on the Endometrin and Estrace until I'm 8 weeks.  Then I'll be released to go to my OBGYN.

Just curious if you have and another ultrasound with your RE after coming off all the meds (before you go to your OBGYN)?

My Journey to Motherhood
Me 36, DH 42
7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
TTC Since January 2009
Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
TTC Since June 2013
Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
EDD 10/15/16
At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What to expect at first ultrasound?

• Options

Yea! Congrats on making it to this milestone!

My last u/s was at 8w4d and that day I was allowed to stop my meds and graduated all at once.

Some RE's are different, I actually still have yet to "hear" the heartbeat.  Our RE did TV u/s so we could SEE the heartbeat.  I know some other have heard it.  (Apparently the different wand used to hear that early in a TV emits more heat, and our RE doesn't think they should be done TV.)

Ours gave us pics, one for each my H and I.  I think they figure once you spend a million bucks there, you want a freakin picture at least!  They will be able to take measurements, count how many babies and the HB.

Have fun seeing your precious baby!!

TTC with Endo-DX-10 yrs ago
    IUI#1-April 2010- Clomid 100mg, Ovidrel and timed intercourse= BFN
    IUI #2- Cancelled due to cysts
    IUI #3- June 2010- Clomid, Ovidrel and timed intercourse= BFN
    Break due to DH deployment
    Lap #7 Dec 2010- this time my Colon was adhered to my abdominal wall
    Since the start of our journey, new issues along with original Endo, 3 MFI unexplained, Cervical Stenosis, AMH .08, Low AFC, 2 blocked tubes
    IVF #1 - ET 09/18-Transferred 2 Embryos
    Beta #1 09/29-23 Beta #2 10/01- 52 Beta #3 10/05-342!! Lil Cub born 5/20
  • Options

My first u/s was an internal with my RE at 6w5d. That early they are mainly trying to make sure the embryo is growing in the right place and to detect a heartbeat. Our's was @ 130bpm and I was told I could stop my meds since we saw the HB. I did have another internal u/s with my RE at 8w5d because my insurance would allow it, not sure if I would have otherwise. After that 2nd u/s I was offically released to my OBGYN and have my 1st appointment with them Friday and I'll be 10w2d.

Best of luck tomorrow!

after 2+ years, 3 failed IUIs, 2 failed IVFs with a c/p
    IVF#3 brought us our miracle baby girl on June 26, 2012

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's nearly always internal that early.  At 6w1d, you might get lucky and see the HB, but there's a good chance it will be too soon for that, so don't freak out if it isn't there yet -- it shows up between 6w and 7w.  You should definitely be able to see a yolk sac inside the gestational sac, though.

My RE released me at 6w3d after seeing the HB, so I don't know what standard practice is, but I would guess they would want to do another u/s to make sure everything still looks good, before they release you. 

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My first u/s was at 5w1d. They drew blood and did and internal u/s that showed a gestational sac and yolk sac.  Today at 6w3d was the same thing ---- blood draw and internal u/s.  They measured the babies and the heartbeats and we chatted with our RE.  We got pics at both appts.
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • Options
    Ours was 6w6d...internal and we saw the baby, yolk sac and the heartbeat. We got tons of photos....our nurse rocks for that!  ;) They released me to my OB that day but I am on my PIO & estrace until 10w. 

Good luck!
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Options
    We had an internal one at 6w5d and we were able to see and hear the heartbeat.  We got 3 pictures printed and took video with our phone of the screen showing the heart beating. We spoke with the RE and were released to the OB.  I haven't had an ultrasound since! My next ultrasound will be my a/s scan on December 14. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"