Working Moms

Moms of school aged kids

I feel like I've asked this before but I can't find it.  Maybe I just kept thinking of asking it :-p

How do you handle childcare for your school aged kids?  I know I have a while to go but I was just thinking what a giant pita it will be to deal with school.  Start work late and bring them to school?  Find before school care?  Same with after school - go to a babysitter?  A friend? Do they take the bus at such a young age (I'm thinking kindergarten, first grade age). 

Hi, I'm Allison and I like to plan for things way far in the future :-p 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

Re: Moms of school aged kids

• I don't have a school aged kid yet, but DD's future elementary school offers a before school and after school care.  I think the hours are like 7am - 6pm. 
  • ditto PP - I checked our local school already and they have before and after care.  I think they are open like 7-6 or something.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm very lucky that my ILs help out.  If they weren't able to, I would probably use prime time care at the school.  I think it starts at early at 7 am and is open until 6 pm.  Our old daycare is also within the school zone, so when DD was younger we could have dropped off both there and had DS get on/off the bus for school there.  Ideally, if my ILs weren't available, I'd have an AM/PM babysitter though b/c I really do like my kids being home, especially in the PM.  Or, DH and I would work staggered hours so that they wouldn't be in prime time/daycare for too long each day.  My kids are so tired in the AM/PM and it's hard to get them to bed early enough in the evening, I don't love the idea of waking them up earlier to get to school or having them sit at daycare for a couple hours before I'm done with work.  But, if it's what we had to do, we would do it.   
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • We have an au pair (and the bus takes DS to and from school) but I have two in preschool right now and I drop them off at school on the way to work (9:00) and DH picks them up.  If I have to go in early for some reason, school is closed or one of the kids is sick we have the au pair as a back up so we don't need to miss work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Our elementary school has SAC (school aged childcare) from 6am-6pm Mon-Fri. They are also open on any half-days or inservice days too, which is a bonus. They are not open during school breaks or snow days.

We use SAC on Friday mornings, when I am driving home from work and DH is driving into work (we overlap schedules) and I also have used it on half-day afternoons when I am sleeping after my night shift. It has worked out great so far.

• For us, K3 was a huge PITA because it was from 9:00 to 11:30 and there was no bus option available to us.  My DH was able to work his schedule so that he could take our son to school but then we had a whole host of people to pick him up.  Sometimes it was my DH, sometimes it was my sister who also watches our children, sometimes it was my  mom or dad and even sometimes my mom's friend. 

This year he is in an all-day K4 program and it's start early, at 7:40 so I'm able to drop him off on my way to work and then either my DH picks him up at 3:15 or he goes to the extended care program and I pick him up around 5:30.

Many schools offer before and after school care so that can really help.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Our aftercare at the elementary school is insane.  Doing that to my kid would be a last resort...

I work 3 days a week.  I go in late and do the drop-offs - school and daycare.  Two of those three days, DH works from home, so he picks DS up and I pick DD up later.  The third day, I leave work early and get DS and then he gets DD on his way home. 

I am very lucky to have such a flexible schedule - and I can make my time up in the evening or even from home on the T/Th that I don't work.

• DD is in 1st grade, and DS is in preschool.  I drop them both off at the preschool at 7:30 and the director walks the group of elementary kids over to the school at 8:45.

After school, the director meets them at the school and walks them back to the preschool and I pick up both kids at 5.

I like that she's socializing with her friends before and after school, there's no video games, and she sometimes gets most of her homework done there after school.

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • imagehoneybee111:
    I don't have a school aged kid yet, but DD's future elementary school offers a before school and after school care.  I think the hours are like 7am - 6pm. 

I'm a teacher.  We have "Kids Club" which is before/after school care at the school.  It's very helpful for some parents.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I work from home most days, and we also have a nanny who takes care of the baby and gets DS off the bus. I do know that his school has before and after care, and the bus service also does pickup and drop-off with one of the daycare centers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS will start private school (Pre-K/K4) next school year and they have an on-site before and after school care program.  They also offer before and after school care 93% of the time when the school is closed---for example, Spring Break.  Their hours are 6:30-6 pm.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• my dcp takes her to school and picks her up
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The preschool DD will begin at 2.5 is direcly nex to our elementary school- but in no way affiliated with it (sp?).  They do before and aftercare for elementary aged kids. The kids ride the bus like .2 of a mile because there is no sidewalk. For us it is a better option that at the school because the ratio is lower.
  • School opens about 6:45am or so, H drops DS#1 off at school at 7am so he can get breakfast.  Daycare has an aftercare program, they pick up DS#1 from school in their small school bus and take him to daycare.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers We're Finally Three

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Cassie has read 1 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • My hours are weird so we only have a nanny on Fridays, but a lot of DD#1's friends have WM.  Most of the daycares in the area have after school programs with buses that pick the kids up right at school.  A lot of the kids still go to the same daycare they always have so that works well for them.  Here, elementary school starts at 7:50 and kids can be dropped off as early as 7:20 (and must be dropped off by 7:40).  Most parents just drop the kids off and continue to work or have a neighbor run them over if they have to leave before 7:20.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"