Cloth Diapering

Questions for Cloth diaper mommas

1. My son is almost 1 is it too late to save money with cloth diapering? (we plan on more kids eventually)

2. How did you get started? We can't afford to spend  money on cloth diapers and then not like them, they all seem so expensive!

3. Ok kinda juvenile I know but....is it gross cleaning the poo off?  And how much extra time do they consume compared to disposables?

Thank you Momma's for you input I'm ridding the fence on if I should spend some money to try out Cloth diapers... (my husband is against the idea.)

Oh also, my other concern is that our washer is very old and doesn't work very well. I mean it gets regular clothes clean but I'm not sure how well it would work on diapers. Do you need a good washer?

Re: Questions for Cloth diaper mommas

• 1.  You can definitely still save. Especially if you get one size diapers you can use on future kids!

2.  I recommend a trial. You get to try lots of brands and types with very little commitment or money invested. Also if you do choose to purchase diapers the resale value is great so you can recoop some of your money back.

3.  Poop doesn't bother me. The worst was that early solids peanut butter poop phase which I assume your past. Now I just plop it on the toilet and it's done. Before solids the whole thing goes right in the wash no rinsing required!

Check out the FAQ if you haven't already and lurk here. You will learn a ton! 

photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Ps I just saw you're in Kansas!  Me too!  What part?  The KC area has some great CD stores!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had no idea there was an FAQ section cool I'll check it out thanks!  I'm in the Topeka area KC's not to far but a bit of a drive.
  • Yeah. That's a bit of a drive for diapers. Especially when so many online sites have free shipping. 
  • Is it unfeasible to just buy one cloth diaper with a few inserts to try and see what you think of them? I was thinking of just buying an Econobum diaper with a couple of inserts just to see if we would even like cloth diapering. Is this a bad idea?

• 1. My son is almost 1 is it too late to save money with cloth diapering? (we plan on more kids eventually)

I didn't start CDing until my daughter was almost one. It still saved money and will save even more when we use them on our new baby (if I could stop buying new cute ones, that is).

2. How did you get started? We can't afford to spend  money on cloth diapers and then not like them, they all seem so expensive!

I started with 3 BumGenius 4.0s. I highly recommend these. They are good quality, work well and are similar to disposables. 

3. Ok kinda juvenile I know but....is it gross cleaning the poo off?  And how much extra time do they consume compared to disposables?

No. Once they are on mostly solids, the poo just falls right off into the toilet leaving only a skid mark in the diaper. Looser, messier poops are grosser but no grosser than dealing with blowouts in disposables. 

I really recommend getting a couple and trying it out. You'll be hooked in no time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemeep13:

Is it unfeasible to just buy one cloth diaper with a few inserts to try and see what you think of them? I was thinking of just buying an Econobum diaper with a couple of inserts just to see if we would even like cloth diapering. Is this a bad idea?

I just started recently.  I started out with 5 Kawaii diapers and did a wash every day to keep up (obviously using some disposables too).  Once I got used to CD, I started to buy more to build my stash.  Kawaii's are pretty cheap so you don't have to spend a whole lot to start a stash. 

Personally, I think its a good idea to start small and see how you like it!  Even if you start off with one and go from there.  It can be a gradual transition.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• 1. My son is almost 1 is it too late to save money with cloth diapering? (we plan on more kids eventually)

Our triplets were around 20 months when we switched to cloth and even over the past couple of months we have saved. If you plan on having more kids then you can use them again for them. If not you can resell them later and still get quite a bit back if they are in good condition. I would highly suggest the one size diapers she he can grow with them and it saves you more.

Trials are a really good idea. I personally like pocket diapers because you can adjust the absorbency and it is really easy for DH to change. You might want to check out Kawaii. They are really cheap compaired to other diapers but the quality is really good. They also have a trial pack.

https://www.theluvyourbaby.com/categories/Cloth-Diapers/

For us, the poop just falls right off into the toilet. Super easy.

They don't really take up any more time then disposables in my opinion. I have also found other advantages for us too. One of mine has really sensitive skin and would get horrible diaper rashes in disposables, but we have not had them in cloth.  

Oh also, my other concern is that our washer is very old and doesn't work very well. I mean it gets regular clothes clean but I'm not sure how well it would work on diapers. Do you need a good washer?

We have an older washer too and have never had any problems.

Good luck on whatever you decide :) 

• 1. My son is almost 1 is it too late to save money with cloth diapering? (we plan on more kids eventually) We didn't start until DD2 turned one, so we've only been doing it a couple months, but plan on doing it with DC3

2. How did you get started? We can't afford to spend  money on cloth diapers and then not like them, they all seem so expensive! You can buy used diapers for really great prices, I bought enough to last me a day and then I washed at the end of each day (about 9 diapers) and then I slowly grew my stash from there. I tried a few different brands and I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch of one kind because I ended up not liking the AI2s like I thought I would. I much prefer pockets

3. Ok kinda juvenile I know but....is it gross cleaning the poo off?  And how much extra time do they consume compared to disposables? Honestly yes, the first week I was thinking that I was crazy and this wasn't worth it, but I was determined to stick with it, I had DH install a diaper sprayer and I use flushable inserts in the afternoon when she normally poops and now I don't think anything of it. It's just a change of mind set, and once you get past the beginning shock factor it is so worth it

• imagemeep13:

Is it unfeasible to just buy one cloth diaper with a few inserts to try and see what you think of them? I was thinking of just buying an Econobum diaper with a couple of inserts just to see if we would even like cloth diapering. Is this a bad idea?

Nope! Not a bad idea at all. Obviously, you won't be able to CD full-time with a "stash" like that -- so it may take you a little longer to get into the "cloth mindset." But lots of people build their stash up slowly!

Also, bear in mind that if you HATE the Econobum, that doesn't mean you'll hate EVERY cloth diaper.

To answer your question about cost savings... I started CD'ing DD at 15 months, she PT'd on the early side (27 months), her stash was nowhere NEAR minimal, and I still broke even on diapers for her. And, of course, I handed lots of her diapers down to DS and soon to our next baby, so yes, absolutely, it saves money, even if you start "late."

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"