Special Needs
Options

SPIO Rave

Hi ladies!  I came here a couple of weeks ago asking if anyone's LO has used SPIO compression clothing.  I discussed my DD gross motor and feeding issues and got a lot of great feedback from you all.

I just wanted to come back and let everyone know how amazing SPIO has been for her. She started wearing the vest and pants a little less than 2 weeks ago and we've already seen incredible changes.

She has started pulling herself up to standing and will walk if she has something to push.  Before SPIO she would refuse to take steps even if we were there to support her.  Our main issue has been with eating and swallowing and it appears SPIO has helped there too.  She is now eating full meals and actually swallowing her food!  She spits very little out at the end of a meal and is starting to gain some weight back.  She is 14 months old and before now has never eaten more than a couple of bites and rarely swallowed.  

I feel like a weight has been lifted and am thrilled at the progress in such a short time.  If any of you are dealing with gross motor delays and/or feeding issues, SPIO may also be the ticket for you.  I wish we would have learned about this sooner!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: SPIO Rave

• Options

That's great news!

Do you think the SPIO helps her "know" where she is in space and this is what has helped? My son is still not walking and when he does walk with hands held it seems like his balance is all wacka-doodle. Maybe he needs a little extra sensory input to help is brain track his body....hmmmm.....*taps chin*

ETA: Do you see a difference in her gait etc when wearing the SPIO vs when not wearing?

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

That's great news!

Do you think the SPIO helps her "know" where she is in space and this is what has helped? My son is still not walking and when he does walk with hands held it seems like his balance is all wacka-doodle. Maybe he needs a little extra sensory input to help is brain track his body....hmmmm.....*taps chin*

ETA: Do you see a difference in her gait etc when wearing the SPIO vs when not wearing?

Yes, yes and yes!  I absolutely think she is more aware of her body now that she wears the SPIO.  I also think that because it gives her body feedback, she has gained some confidence in the movements she makes.  I also think her body is learning these same behaviors even when we take the SPIO off.  She can pull to standing and is very mobile and can eat even not wearing the SPIO.  Makes me hopeful she won't have to wear them for too long.  I'm honestly speechless with how well she is doing.  We had a session with our speech therapist yesterday and she brought along the leading feeding therapist in our area.  They were both amazed at how well Hadley did with her eating.  It's miles apart from where we started and even far better than our last session 2 weeks ago.  If you want to read more about our experience, I just wrote a post on my blog (in siggy). 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went to your blog linky and got to a main wordpress page and not your blog....Crying
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

holy sh!t They are expensive!

Did you buy one, borrow or did insurance cover it?

It looks like they are sort of custom made. Is it even possible to borrow one as a trial to see if it will work before you invest?

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

Crap!  I'm gonna have to fix my link.  My blog is bencu.wordpress.com.

Yes, insurance does cover it.  Sadly, we're having issues getting reimbursed but that's because our therapist submitted our order directly through SPIO and not the Durable Medical Supplier.  We're hoping we can still get money back.

I do believe you can trial them before buying.  Feel free to email Brad at SPIO for more info.  He is very helpful!  Brad@spioworks.com.  You can tell him Marcu gave you his info.  

• Options
    I thought about getting this for my DS. How often and when do you put it on?
  • Options

imageash2:
    I thought about getting this for my DS. How often and when do you put it on?

We put them on her in the morning when she gets dressed for the day and they come off at night.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"