Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Ferber help please for BFing mom

I started DS on Ferber's plan on Monday night. He's doing well with it -- sleeping longer stretches. I am continuing to feed him twice at night, however, because he nurses vigorously and so I assume he is truly hungry. I'm worried that I'm sending him mixed messages by going to him when he wakes, and I'm curious if anyone has any input.

I will go in if he's slept at least 4 hours, and I will feed him. This has been happening around midnight and 4 a.m. I then leave him in his crib awake. For the first waking he's been going right to sleep. The second waking is harder and he has been crying for about 15-20 minutes. Is this ok? Should I stop feeding him? I know he's capable of going all night without food (he's 17 pounds), but if he's hungry at night because that's what he's used to, it seems mean to make him sit in there with an empty belly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ferber help please for BFing mom

• Options
    Have you read the Ferber book? It has tips on how to encourage them to eat more during the day and not need so much at night. I personally don't think weight is a good indicator of how much a baby needs to eat, but that's just me. I'm afraid I'm not too much help though, as my own 17 pounder wakes (usually) twice a night to BF! :) One thing I would suggest, though, is don't go cold turkey and not feed him. If he's eating a lot at the feeding, it's probably because he's used to getting those calories then. I'd try slowly pushing the feeding back by increasing your time intervals between night feedings. But really truly read the Ferber book first, if you haven't already. Good luck!
  • Options
    Are the two night feedings a problem for you? If not go ahead and keep doing them as long as he is really eating. If you don't want to do two feedings a night then ferber book has a meethod for slowly spacing out or elminating a night feeding. I do not think it will confuse the sleep training to allow those night feedings. As long as its down to business and right back to bed its ok. He will get the hang of it and hopefully soon put himself back down after the second feed without tears!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJacqui105:
    Are the two night feedings a problem for you? If not go ahead and keep doing them as long as he is really eating. If you don't want to do two feedings a night then ferber book has a meethod for slowly spacing out or elminating a night feeding. I do not think it will confuse the sleep training to allow those night feedings. As long as its down to business and right back to bed its ok. He will get the hang of it and hopefully soon put himself back down after the second feed without tears!

Thank you. The night feedings are fine with me so I will stick to my routine. And I've read Ferber's book about a dozen times between my two kids! Sometimes the information gets a little jumbled in my head. Thanks for the input ladies. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"