Preemies
Options

hydrocephalus

We got a call this morning from the neurosurgeon who will be placing Ryan's shunt.  The surgery will be next week. 

What we didn't expect is to hear that Aiden has hydrocephalus as well.  We knew that Aiden had a grade III & IV bleed, but we weren't expecting hydrocephalus because for one, his head didn't grow the way Ryan's did.  With Ryan it was kind of obvious.

So now we are looking at two shunts being placed probably within the next two weeks.  We are a little sad today.  These little guys never did anything wrong and they have gone through so much already.  When will they get a break?

What kills me is that this is probably why Aiden has been so fussy.  With babies in NICU you almost can't be a normal mother.  You can't fix what's wrong your babies.  It isn't as simple as picking them up and soothing them.  

I know my babies will never be "normal".  We will always deal with extra doctor's appointments, PT, OT, etc.  But I can't wait for the day when I have my babies home and we can just snuggle and be a family.  I'm tired of the NICU.  

Thanks for listening.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: hydrocephalus

• Options

<hugs>

I'm so sorry.  We didn't deal with all of the challenges you're facing, but I completely get it when you say you're sick of the NICU.  It's just miserable sometimes.  A lot of the time.  And it sticks with you even when you're discharged. 

I hope the surgery goes well for both of your little guys and that you're home with them very soon.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options

I'm sorry you are having a down day.  Those days are hard, and it is hard not to be pulled into the darkness.  There is still a lot of hope.  Hydrocephalus can resolve.  The shuts may very well be temporary.  

I'll be thinking of you.  Lots of T&P and Hugs your way!  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    big cyber hugs to you and your boys. I didnt have as difficult a road as you are having, but I can certainly remember feeling the way you do. Its hard to be a NICU parent, and harder still to feel helpless when your little guys are struggling with things like this. I agree that there is stil a lot of hope, T&P for you guys.
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    ((HUGE HUGS)) My question is, why can't R&A's momma catch a break? You've been through so much, and honestly, it's probably harder on you than your little guys. Watching your baby go through hard stuff is the most painful thing I've done in my life. T&P for this difficult news and that you guys get home ASAP for those snuggles!!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    ((HUGS)) That's a lot to take in all at once. The NICU is so, so hard.  I had many a breakdown about not being able to comfort my son - everything about the environment is just so unnatural.  I'm praying that the shunt surgery goes well for both of them, and that you have some good days soon.
  • Options

Oh, J Sad  I'm sorry you're having a tough time.  The NICU sucks.  But the good news is that things can turn around quickly.  Before you know it, your boys will be home and you'll be asking what happened to your two pound babies.

Hang in there.  You know how to get me if you need to talk.  I'm more than happy to listen. 

• Options
    I'm in the same boat emotionally. I'm so sick of the NICU and I know we have at least 2 more months. I'm just ready to throat punch everyone that works in there. I know it's a slow process but fix my damn baby and get him home. I don't even feel like a mom most of the time.
  • Options
    Lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way!  (((hugs)))
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Options

I'm so sorry to hear that news.  You and your family have had such a hard journey in the NICU.  Even though my experience wasn't quite like yours, I can completely relate to how it feels to just wanting to be "normal" again and have babies home.  It's very easy to get burned out after so long.  I remember also feeling how unfair it was and how much I wanted to be able trade places with them and take away all their pain. 

If it gives you some hope, I have a co-worker who had preemie twins who are now 5 years old.  One of her girls had to have a shunt placed.  She's had to to PT and OT for a while and is now in a regular kindergarten class because she passed all her entrance tests and did not need any special ed.  She's basically a normal healthy kid now.

• Options
    Nothing but hugs. You guys are really having a rough NICU ride. 
  • Options
    Sending big hugs your way.  The NICU is awful.  Watching your sweet completely innocent babies going through hell is the worst experience imaginable.  While we didn't have it as hard as you do, I can empathize with how badly you want to be home with your babies in a "normal" family setting.  We were just there not too long ago, and already it seems like the twins have been home forever.  Know you will feel this way before you know it too.  Hang in there mama.  I'll be keeping your twins in my prayers.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Sending hugs your way.  I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better, but I know there isn't!  Just know you and your LOs are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options

I'm so sorry. I remember that feeling of just wanting to snuggle my babies and it is so hard. 

((hugs)) 

• Options

{{hugs mama}}

It is so hard having a baby in the NICU and not being able to fix things or soothe them. But having their mommy there with them is so important, and you are doing an amazing job just being there with them. Hang in there. Lots of T&P for your sweet little boys.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Oh sweetie, that is tough.

It's very hard to be a NICU mom and be so out of control with eveything.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Huge hugs for you... I keep praying that you guys will get over the hump and your little guys will get better. I hope it happens sooner than later, and maybe this is what they need to cross that point.... prayers!!
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for your continued thoughts and kind words.  I know we will get through this.  Today is a much better day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"