Nurseries and Baby Gear

Why are car seat covers unsafe?

It is starting to get really chilly so DH and I want to get a car seat cover. However, I saw a post from a few day ago where everyone was saying they are unsafe and void your warranty.

Are they ALL unsafe? We want to get this car seat cover. It just covers the top of the seat. Is that ok? If not, what do you recommend people do in cold winters? TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why are car seat covers unsafe?

• That one is fine, go for it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That one is totally safe because it goes around the car seat, not under the child.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLittleApple:
    That one is totally safe because it goes around the car seat, not under the child.

This, exactly.  

• imageLittleApple:
    That one is totally safe because it goes around the car seat, not under the child.

I have never seen one that goes under the child. So it covers the car seat cushion to make it cuter?

Thanks!

• imagebluegreen88:

imageLittleApple:

I have never seen one that goes under the child. So it covers the car seat cushion to make it cuter?

Thanks!

JJ Cole makes a bundle me that is fleece lined and threads through the car seat straps and then can zipper around the child.  This kind isn't safe because it comes between the child and the straps and can impact how tight/safe the straps are on the child. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The JJ Cole Bundle me is unsafe.  It actually goes behind the child, blocking the straps and creating a gap between the child and the seat.  In an accident, the bundleMe compresses, making the straps not as tight as they should be.  Child could be seriously hurt in a crash.

Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • That one is fine, like PPs have said.  You just want to avoid anything that puts a layer behind the baby and goes near the straps.  We used the same one and it was great in our extremely cold, windy weather.  I also liked that I could fit a folded blanket on DS' lap before I zipped it up.  It kept him warmer and I didn't have to worry about it falling or dragging on the ground and getting dirty.

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you put your child in a coat in the car seat, then it is no more unsafe than putting any insert in the car seat. In order to follow it, you'd have to also make sure your child was also in nothing more than thin clothing, otherwise the whole reason for not using the kind that goes under them is a moot point so take it for what it's worth imo.
  • imageGirlWithTheMostCake:
    If you put your child in a coat in the car seat, then it is no more unsafe than putting any insert in the car seat. In order to follow it, you'd have to also make sure your child was also in nothing more than thin clothing, otherwise the whole reason for not using the kind that goes under them is a moot point so take it for what it's worth imo.

Uhh, this makes no sense. You're basically saying, "If you're going to break one safety rule, might as well ignore safety completely." You're also assuming that someone will break the "safety rule" of no coats in the car seat. I would hope that if someone knew it was unsafe to do so, they wouldn't.

I think car seat safety is something people are generally uneducated about across the board- from proper installation and strap placement to wearing coats and using after-market extras. A lot of people think because they can buy a product like the JJ Cole Bundle Me at a store, that it must be okay to use.

If you put your child in a coat in the car seat, then it is no more unsafe than putting any insert in the car seat. In order to follow it, you'd have to also make sure your child was also in nothing more than thin clothing, otherwise the whole reason for not using the kind that goes under them is a moot point so take it for what it's worth imo.

Not exactly true - but you are definitely on to something.  Heavy winter coats are not recommended in carseats for this exact reason.  

When having our carseat inspected, they recommended putting the baby in the seat w/ whatever outerwear we were using and pinching the straps (basically it should be tight enough that there's nothing to pinch).  Then, take off the outerwear and try the exact same thing without adjusting the straps.  If you still can't pinch the straps up, you're fine.  If you can, the winter coat is too bulky and they recommended using a shower cap syle cover and/or blankets.   

https://mommybreakdown.com/?p=1328  

https://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/november-2009-babies/topic/what-does-the-nhtsa-say-about-winter-coats-and-car-seat-safety

https://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/108322/9_lifesaving_car_seat_rules

https://www.car-safety.org/faq.html 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

imageGirlWithTheMostCake:

Uhh, this makes no sense. You're basically saying, "If you're going to break one safety rule, might as well ignore safety completely." You're also assuming that someone will break the "safety rule" of no coats in the car seat. I would hope that if someone knew it was unsafe to do so, they wouldn't.

I think car seat safety is something people are generally uneducated about across the board- from proper installation and strap placement to wearing coats and using after-market extras. A lot of people think because they can buy a product like the JJ Cole Bundle Me at a store, that it must be okay to use.

Actually, it makes total sense. It's round and round and round on safety suggestions with baby gear. I hear and see people all the time say they would never use a footmuff insert in their car seat and then I see their kids sitting in a snowsuit (somewhat exaggeration, but I mean bulky jacket) in the seat. It's the exact thing. I'm just saying IF you're going to use a jacket and not use a footmuff for that reason - the reason is a moot point. Additionally, it's the same thing to say don't hang toys from the car seat or use a mirror. If your child is in a car that has ANYTHING more than the two passengers and a car seat, they're all projectiles. I'd have to assume that everyone isn't sitting in a stripped down car with no purse, no SUVs with items in the trunk, no diaper bag etc...It comes down to common sense. You do the absolute best you can do. It's unreasonable to suggest that areas that have very cold climates put their child in a onesie and head out to the car with them - no blankets for suffocation, no footmuffs for space between the child and no heavy coats for the same reason. The shower cap style coverings have also not been crash tested. What does that mean? Probably nothing as I can sort of guess that a piece of fabric wouldn't crash test poorly, but I personally just don't know and neither does anyone else. I always say, do the best you can do. Use common sense. If you're going to put a jacket on your child then technically you can put a footmuff in if you don't also use a jacket at the same time as long as the straps are correct and everything is snug and properly installed. I don't need a book to tell me that and neither does anyone else.

imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

imageGirlWithTheMostCake:

Actually, it makes total sense. It's round and round and round on safety suggestions with baby gear. I hear and see people all the time say they would never use a footmuff insert in their car seat and then I see their kids sitting in a snowsuit (somewhat exaggeration, but I mean bulky jacket) in the seat. It's the exact thing. I'm just saying IF you're going to use a jacket and not use a footmuff for that reason - the reason is a moot point. Additionally, it's the same thing to say don't hang toys from the car seat or use a mirror. If your child is in a car that has ANYTHING more than the two passengers and a car seat, they're all projectiles. I'd have to assume that everyone isn't sitting in a stripped down car with no purse, no SUVs with items in the trunk, no diaper bag etc...It comes down to common sense. You do the absolute best you can do. It's unreasonable to suggest that areas that have very cold climates put their child in a onesie and head out to the car with them - no blankets for suffocation, no footmuffs for space between the child and no heavy coats for the same reason. The shower cap style coverings have also not been crash tested. What does that mean? Probably nothing as I can sort of guess that a piece of fabric wouldn't crash test poorly, but I personally just don't know and neither does anyone else. I always say, do the best you can do. Use common sense. If you're going to put a jacket on your child then technically you can put a footmuff in if you don't also use a jacket at the same time as long as the straps are correct and everything is snug and properly installed. I don't need a book to tell me that and neither does anyone else.

I get what you are saying, but not everyone is as educated about these things.  Like PP said, most people think that if a product is sold in stores, it is safe to use.  Not necessarily true.

It is unsafe to use a bunting that goes behind the child.  It's that simple.

Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • I hadn't ever heard the bundle me was unsafe-- I have one of my registry.  And I do read about safety things in general, that is how i know bumpers are unsafe.  But for a FTM it can be difficult to even know what stuff does.  Like a receiving blanket?  What am I receiving?
  • The one you want is perfectly safe cause it only covers the outside of the seat, doesn't interfere with harnesses, essentially it's just an elasticated blanket. I bought one for myself and my sister in law. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"