Breastfeeding

New to breastfeeding and this Board

Hi Ladies I just gave birth about 10 days ago and my little darling and I have been learning how to breastfeed... I had no idea what a challenge this would be and I couldnt feel more lost, I have thought about a breast feeding support group but decided to seek out this board first. So here goes...took some time before the milk came in to get a good latch, then the latch was going well and I was worried she wasnt getting enough... but she was gaining and having good diapers so I figured all was well. Then we had some green poops yesterday and I was worried she wasnt getting enough hindmilk.. I of course I had been asking my PED how long should I nurse one each side... how long between feedings and all that stuff new moms need to know and first I was told she only needed 10-15 on each side... then I was told to leave her on as long as she wants... then I was told offer only one side.. offer both sides and I am beyond frustrated! So I decided I would let her stay on as long as she wanted to ensure she got the hind milk which seems to be 20 minutes or so and I would offer the other side if she wanted and if she didnt offer it for next time.... but before I could start that the green poop came! Then I was worried about over supply! I was leaking out of one side while she was feeding on the other? She would have trouble latching on in the begining but once she was on she would stay on...she never really clicked or choked or was fussy... so how do you know for sure you have an oversupply before you start trying to fix it...and what works for you ladies... sorry this is so long but I appreciate any advice.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New to breastfeeding and this Board

• First off, congrats on your LO.  I wish I had better advice as far as how long to keep her on the breast, but I exclusively pump so I honestly don't know.  But I can tell you it is normal for one breast to be leaking when they are feeding from the other...so don't worry about that, totally normal.  If she is having trouble latching it's possible you could be very full...maybe try expressing some either by hand or pump first so that it can empty it a bit (but only a bit, just to relieve the engorgement).  It will take some time to get your supply regulated (maybe a few weeks).
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats!!

I would offer the first side for as long as she wants it, then offer the second (which she may or may not take) and then start with that 2nd side the next time. That way she'll get more hind milk and that should help things balance out. Your supply will be a bit crazy for weeks but will settle down over time. 

Also, just because there is green poop doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem. Baby poop will come in all colors of the rainbow it'll seem  Stick out tongue  But the old switching at 10-15 minute advice is more outdated than letting them feed what they want and switching at a 'natural' break.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemadhatter2003:

Congrats!!

I would offer the first side for as long as she wants it, then offer the second (which she may or may not take) and then start with that 2nd side the next time. That way she'll get more hind milk and that should help things balance out. Your supply will be a bit crazy for weeks but will settle down over time. 

Also, just because there is green poop doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem. Baby poop will come in all colors of the rainbow it'll seem  Stick out tongue  But the old switching at 10-15 minute advice is more outdated than letting them feed what they want and switching at a 'natural' break.

Congrats...and this!

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"