August 2011 Moms

What is your pedi's stance on solids?

DD1 and DD2 have the same pedi. With DD1, she was all about waiting until the 6-month mark before introducing solid. Now, she says that recent studies lean toward starting solids between 4 and 6 months.

I am not planning on starting cereal for a little while still, but I'm curious as to what other pedi's think. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What is your pedi's stance on solids?

• We just found out today that our LO has a little reflux and its from swallowing the liquids so fast that the gas builds in his little tummy since he has been bloated all the time, so they are saying we should think about giving him solids at 4 months and cereal in the bottle to cut down on this.

The cons of early solids are allergies forming because their gut is immature and apparently excema.  I really wanted to wait until 6 months but because of his issues, it looks like we are jumping on the 4 month train.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dr said 4 months. My mom had both my brother and I on carrots at 6 weeks but we were eating her out o house and home. I have given DD tastes of stuff but I will start cereal/ homemade stuff around 4 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • our pedi recommended rice cereal at two months to combat reflux but i never did it! at lincoln's 4 month appt yesterday he said he wanted him to replace nursing with three meals by 6 months. he said he doesn't agree with the research presented by the APA to back their stance on solids at 6 months so he is in favor of starting at 4 months. i am a proponent of "food is for fun before one" so I am not eager to passively wean lincoln in this manner but i might try the cereal and veggies but only once a day or so. i am keen on breastfeeding for quite a bit longer if possible.
    imageimage
  • Ou pedi said to start when we wnat to, but he will need an iron fortified cereal, 1/4c a day by 6 months if he is still EBF. We are supplementing and I don't see us making it to 6 months. I tried giving him fortified oatmeal this weekend, but he isn't ready. He pushed everything out of his mouth, so that reflex is still there. What he did swallow he ended up vomiting up a couple hours later. So I'll try again in a month or so. He is fascinated by watching DH eat, though. That part is developing. 

We are planning on doing Baby Led Weaning so we'll start offerring him table foods to play with around Christmas (5m) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We go tomorrow for DS's 4 month appointment. At his 2 month, our pedi asked us to try rice cereal right before his appointment so we can tell her what his reaction was. We'll discuss solids with her tomorrow. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was told cereal at 3.5 months, fruits/veggies at 5 months, meats/dinners at 6 months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 6 months though I may start earlier due to his reflux
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wait until 6 months to start solids.  I have no idea what my pedi recommends.  I generally only go to him for medical questions. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My pediatrician says 4-6 months is recommended and its up to us when we want to start. He also says that when babies start solids its not because they need nutrition. They get all the nutrition they need from breast milk/formula, it just gets them used to different textures and flavors, eating from a spoon, etc.

My mom waited to start solid foods until we started reaching for food off of other peoples plates. She says that was around 6 months. I am in no rush to start solid foods so I think I will follow this advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• This is why I love my ped, he is a giant follow your own instincts kind of guy. He likes BLW better then pur?es and doesn't like empty calories that cereal provide.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • Pedi said something at her 2M appointment about starting cereal at 4M.  DH has severe food allergies so we aren't planning on starting any solids until 6M.  I'm also planning on making my own rice cereal and baby food.
    Married 7.5.08
    BFP 12/10/10 - DD1 8/16/11
    BFP 10/29/13 - c/p 11/2/13
    BFP 11/29/13 - DD2 7/18/14
    BFP 3/20/18 - DS1 due 12/2/18
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"