Multiples
Options

how do I respond to this?

For some reason I've gotten the question a few times recently about if I "plan on" delivering the babies vaginally. 

I would never ask anyone this, it seems very personal. But no one I know has twins and I think they just don't understand, I'm more concerned about WHEN they're born than how. I feel like saying, "of course, but it's out of my hands!" but that seems like such an obvious answer, I don't know what to say to people without being a jerk when they judge me on my liaise fair attitude towards c-sections.  

Married 07/2011 <3
ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

Re: how do I respond to this?

• Options
    How 'bout: We plan to get them here safely, whatever that means at delivery time.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I also found this question personal...and would get really embarassed when my colleagues were asking me.  Such an awkward topic for work!  I told DH that sometimes I really felt like saying "When did my vagina become appropriate conversation?"

I responded like PP and would say that we were going to do it the safest way come delivery time. 

What also annoyed me was when people said "They aren't going to MAKE you have a c-section, are they?"  or when people said "Oh, so you're going to have a c-section." 

Ahhh the comments.....I don't miss them.

edited - sp

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Depends on whether it's a man or a woman asking. (I'm assuming a stranger)

Woman: I was hoping to deliver vaginally, can I borrow yours so I don't end up with cheeseburger vag?

Man: Hmm... well, let me ask you this. Would you sign up to push two watermelons out of your right nostril?

Then give them evil laugh. :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You should just look really surprised and say, "that's how they come out???".
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with the response of "whatever it takes to get them here safely." I agree that I would/will feel super uncomfortable if someone asks me how I plan on delivering. I don't think any of us want to be sliced open..our ultimate goal is healthy babies with the least amount of risks taken to get them here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagetogagirl:

Oh my God, I love this answer.

Me: 30, Dx Unexplained/hypothalamic amenorrhea
    DH: 31, normal!
    April/May 2011: Menopur + Ovidrel +TI = BFN
    Oct 2011: Menopur + Hcg +IUI = BFP!
    Beta #1 (13dpiui)= 129.7, Beta #2 (15 dpiui)= 305
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome!
    My Blog

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm in the minority, but I don't really think it is a bad question. I got asked that a lot and it didn't seem to bother me. That said, there are a lot of questions I don't find offensive that bother others. I would just answer honestly or if you want to avoid the question I like the "whatever gets them here safely response." 
  • Options

imagetogagirl:

I am so stealing this! LOL!

• Options

I usually answer with the shortest answer possible... I find sometimes that even saying "yes" turns into a huge discussion about how it's possible, or why I'd want to try. With closest family members and a couple of my girlfriends, I'll talk about it and once I explain everything, including how you can have a plan but sometimes the babies do what they want, they usually don't ask again. For strangers and people I'm not comfortable talking about L&D to, I usually say something like "I have to wait until further in the pregnancy to see where the babies are". 

I also like pp's recommendations to give snarky responses or play stupid, I wish I thought quick enough on my feet to do that. Usually I'm just so surprised at the questions people ask that I just try to wiggle my way out of the conversation as fast as possible.

The other one I get weirded out by is when people ask if I'm going to breastfeed. I'm sorry, you're DHs second cousin who I've met twice, what does it matter to you? I had DH start telling his family "they'll be fed and healthy" when his family members start asking.  

• Options
    I never got that question until after my emergency c/s. I was asked if I had planned on vaginal delivery. I shrugged and said I had "planned" on one baby, so my plans were changed from the beginning. I pretty much threw out the idea of a birth plan the minute I heard twins. Turned out that being damn flexible and taking things one day at a time was the best plan for me. There wasn't much I could do about it anyway.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagesweetclementine:
    I agree with the response of "whatever it takes to get them here safely." I agree that I would/will feel super uncomfortable if someone asks me how I plan on delivering. I don't think any of us want to be sliced open..our ultimate goal is healthy babies with the least amount of risks taken to get them here.

Ditto this! (Though I do know some opt for being sliced open; we all have our preferences. ;)) Such a rude, intrusive question! 

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

Is there something about having twins that makes people more likely to say things like this?!  I've gotten that from a few not-close family members, and over Thanksgiving got really strange questions from people I'm NOT related to at all!

I like the first PP's suggestion about just getting them here safely. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    People ask me this a lot. I just say that I am going to try but so much of that decision is out of my hands. I find it inappropriate!
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This is one of those questions that always led to verbal diarrhea for me.

THEM: So, do have have to have a csection? 

ME: Yes, I will have to have a csection. 

THEM: They're making you have a csection? You can have twins naturally, you know. 

ME: Yes, I know, but in my case I'll have to have a csection. 

THEM: Why? My cousin had twins naturally in her bed at home, and one was breech! You can find a doctor around here who will do it. 

ME: Well, I do have a breech baby but I also have some other issues so a csection is safer. (Oops, there goes the can of worms.) 

THEM: Oh really? What other issues? 

For some reason, I never got the hang of telling people it was none of their business, so at this point I started rambling about huge fibroids and uterine septums and I could always pinpoint the moment they regretted ever asking...

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageaugust8080:
    How 'bout: We plan to get them here safely, whatever that means at delivery time.

That was my go to answer. That or, "We won't make any decisions until I go into labor or we get to my scheduled date, whichever comes first."

I think the question doesn't seem as taboo as it used to because of the numerous elective c-sections in the country, people just assume that it's something you have a choice in rather than being expected to deliver vaginally unless there are complications like it used to be.

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imagetogagirl:

Absolutely love this response. I was just asked this by my SIL, who has had two Csections herself. So you'd think she'd know sometimes it's out of your hands. When I told her my docs practice (a high risk practice) only does Csections for twins, she looked horrified. But as I told her, if I'm pay these professionals all this money to get these kids out of me safe as possible, why am I gonna go quibble over how they think it should be done. I see no point in me being hung up on some birthing plan when anything can happen at time time. Just so long as babies are healt, I'm thankful for whatever it took to get them here like that.  

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"