Northern California Babies

Lucky me! (NOT!)

One of my sisters just announced she is flying to CA on Dec 12th and will be in CA until Jan 11th. She will be at another sister's house from Dec 12-Dec 17th when they will drive up and pass her off to me. Then she will be at my house from Dec 17th until Jan 7th when I will drive her back back to our other sister's house. When my sister said she wanted to come out to CA for a few weeks I thought she meant 2, not almost 6! Someone shoot me now! My mom & her husband will be at my house as well from Dec 21-29.

I only have 1 tv with cable and she is more than likely going to take it over. My tv is going to think it has been stolen with all the reality shows she watches. Oh, and I won't get to play video games either because I will have to hang out with her after work and take care of E while my husband gets to have fun on the computer.

UGH!! I just want to hide under my bed until after E's bday in February.

Re: Lucky me! (NOT!)

• You're kidding me right?  You sound like the biggest most selfish bratty person right now.  You remind me of my niece when she doesn't get her way - and she's 9.  You should be happy to have family to spend time with - there are many people who don't, like me - I'd give ANYTHING to have my brother and SIL home for the holidays.  You should be really thankful for what you have instead of pouting about how much of an inconvenience it is to you. 
  • I feel bad for your sister that she is going to have to spend 3 weeks (which IS a few, "a couple" would be 2) with someone who'd rather play video games and watch TV than spend time with her. 
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Loading the player...
  • imageFreshStart31:
    You're kidding me right?  You sound like the biggest most selfish bratty person right now.  You remind me of my niece when she doesn't get her way - and she's 9.  You should be happy to have family to spend time with - there are many people who don't, like me - I'd give ANYTHING to have my brother and SIL home for the holidays.  You should be really thankful for what you have instead of pouting about how much of an inconvenience it is to you. 

Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to agree with the PP...

You're not going to get any sympathy from me because I know there are people way less fortunate who would KILL to have family home for the holidays.

Be grateful...

• Hey, I am sorry you guys see me as selfish. I love my sister, but I love my space too. Having her in my home for 4-5 weeks is a bit much. Having her here for a week at Christmas is one thing, but having her here for over a month is something entirely different. She is also a bit of a DIVA and the world revolves around her, ALWAYS. Even at my wedding she tried to steal the show. Yes I am glad she is coming to visit, but I need my time to unwind after work and I won't get that with her visiting. I also won't get a lot of time to spend with DH while she is here. With my sister you don't have a conversation, she talks AT you and you listen and if you try and contradict her, she gets louder and louder and tells you how that isn't the way it is (no matter what).
  • Based on the info provided in your OP, your sister is only with you for 2 1/2 (not the 4-5 like you're claiming) weeks.  So suck it up and quit complaining. 
  • Gotta jump in too - I would give my LEFT ARM to have some family around right now.  They aren't perfect, but they're family.
  • Some personalities just don't mesh, and that sounds like the situation between you & your sister. Wishing you luck!
  • imageKellyMRocks:
    I feel bad for your sister that she is going to have to spend 3 weeks (which IS a few, "a couple" would be 2) with someone who'd rather play video games and watch TV than spend time with her. 

Yes   This exactly.

• I too agree with PP! If you require alone time with DH then maybe you should plan some date nights during her visit. Maybe she would be up for staying with E and spending some quality "Auntie" time with her while you and DH get out for a few hours. Go hang out at Toys R Us and you can play some video games. I am blessed to have my family so close and see them often..and they drive me nuts...but I wouldnt "not"  not want to have them near me...especially around the holidays!
  • I think Casey gave some great advice.  Maybe try and look at the positive.  I'm another one who would LOVE to have my brothers and family at my house for Christmas.
  • well, at least you'll have a sitter for E in case you wanted to do a date night?
  • imagehersheykiss:

One of my sisters just announced she is flying to CA on Dec 12th and will be in CA until Jan 11th. She will be at another sister's house from Dec 12-Dec 17th when they will drive up and pass her off to me. Then she will be at my house from Dec 17th until Jan 7th when I will drive her back back to our other sister's house. When my sister said she wanted to come out to CA for a few weeks I thought she meant 2, not almost 6! Someone shoot me now! My mom & her husband will be at my house as well from Dec 21-29.

I only have 1 tv with cable and she is more than likely going to take it over. My tv is going to think it has been stolen with all the reality shows she watches. Oh, and I won't get to play video games either because I will have to hang out with her after work and take care of E while my husband gets to have fun on the computer.

UGH!! I just want to hide under my bed until after E's bday in February.

If you had expectations regarding the length of her visit, you should have relayed those prior to plans being made.  And if you knew that you would not enjoy her visit, I don't understand why you would agree to it at all.  You all should have communicated with each other like adults. 

I understand not getting along with family or not wanting someone to stay for an extended period of time due to the relationship you have with them.  I just don't see what complaining about it does or why you would go into the situation expecting the worst.  A bit of positivity could go a long way in this situation.  Why not focus on making this a time to improve your relationship with her? 

I also do not get why you "won't get to play video games" or why you will have to take care of your daughter while your "husband gets to have fun on the computer."  That sounds like an issue with your husband, not your sister. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Geez. Can we say harsh much, people? While I understand many of the viewpoints being expressed, I can also sympathize with Hersheykiss. Having a houseguest for 2 1/2 weeks is a long time! I get exhausted after I have a houseguest just for a weekend! Especially for one who you might not have the greatest relationship with. It's great that so many people have good relationships with their family members, but not everyone has that kind of relationship. I mean, I love my sisters-in-law, but would I want them to stay for a two and a half weeks? Probably not!

So Hersheykiss, I hope that you can enjoy the time with your sister and that she doesn't drive you too crazy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic My Boys! BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I can understand not wanting such a long term house guest, my mother is currently in my house going on 2 1/2 weeks (unplanned) but there is nothing that says just because they came up with this plan that you have to take her in for so long.  You could have told her that she could come for X amount of time and that was that, so no I don't really feel sorry for you.  Be a grown up and tell her it's not ok so spend 2+ weeks at your house.
  • Definately harsh responses, although you are not sugar coating it so I guess they aren't either.

My Mom often comes and stays with us for 2+ weeks at Christmas time and of course I LOVE having her here. She will ask me if its ok for that long and she sometimes asks if she should stay with with one of her good friends for a night or two in between to break it up. She TOTALLY understands and we communicate about it before she comes out. Having a house guest for that long is tough no matter who it is.

For you to complain about not being able to play video games seems a little ridiculous but maybe that is how you unwind, I don't know you well enough to know. I would appreciate having family around like everyone says and definately have some date nights or date days while she is here.

The holidays are about celebrating, appreciating and family. You are very lucky, I hope you can find it in yourself to appreciate your time with your sister.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"