Nurseries and Baby Gear

Chicco or Graco carseat?

Which do you recommend....the Chicco Keyfit or the Graco Snugride 35....and why?

Both are compatible w/my stroller so I'm curious to read your feedback. 

Re: Chicco or Graco carseat?

• Assuming you're talking about the Chicco Keyfit 30...

Keyfit 30 is good up to 30 lbs or 30 inches.
    Snugride 35 is good up to 35 lbs or 32 inches. 

Babies always outgrow car seats by length before weight. The Graco will last a few months longer.

We considered both when we were looking and they were both very similar. We went with the Snugride 35 because it would last longer. Good thing too... DS would have outgrown the Chicco at 4 months. We made it to 6.5 months with the Graco.

ETA: All seats meet the same safety requirements. Some are easier to use, some have nicer fabrics, but they're all safe. The "best" seat is the one that fits in your car and fits your child.

• The Chicco...I have posted about this several times...can't recommend it enough.  When a police/fireman/paramedic uses this for their kids or when I read this post on FB

The Chicco Keyfit 30 is rated the safest car seat by consumer reports for about 3 years now. My father-in-law is head of the infant injury prevention in the children's hospital in CT and this is the ONLY infant car seat he recommends.

that is enough of a reason to get it...it is the easiest base to install too

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Loading the player...
  • Both are great seats.  You will be able to use the Graco a little longer though.

As for the "safety ratings" by Consumer reports.  The ratings are based on ease of use, NOT safety.  I don't really trust their ratings with car seats and such.

That said, I love my Graco Snugride 35. We have been in two accidents so far and the seat worked great.  I kept replacing it with another Graco :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • We have been debating between the two and are going with the Graco.  The Chicco is rated #1, but both are very safe and you can't go wrong with the Graco.  I like the Chicco patterns better, but have heard negatives about it's size.  I know that is part of what makes it so safe, but it is one of the larger infant car seats.
  • imagemakinithappen:
    We have been debating between the two and are going with the Graco.  The Chicco is rated #1, but both are very safe and you can't go wrong with the Graco.  I like the Chicco patterns better, but have heard negatives about it's size.  I know that is part of what makes it so safe, but it is one of the larger infant car seats.
     I believe the Graco is just as large.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • imageLina1030:

The Chicco...I have posted about this several times...can't recommend it enough.  When a police/fireman/paramedic uses this for their kids or when I read this post on FB

The Chicco Keyfit 30 is rated the safest car seat by consumer reports for about 3 years now. My father-in-law is head of the infant injury prevention in the children's hospital in CT and this is the ONLY infant car seat he recommends.

that is enough of a reason to get it...it is the easiest base to install too

The Chicco is a great seat, but please don't assume that it's the safest seat because of anecdotal evidence you read on FB.  And the ease of install on the base will depend on the make and model of your vehicle.

Any new seat that is installed and used properly will be safe for your child.  Convenience features and things like color and pattern are personal preference.

FWIW, I have been a CPS tech and know plenty of firefighters and EMTs who use Graco seats.  We used a Graco Snugride 32 with DD.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• imageLittleApple:
    imagemakinithappen:
    We have been debating between the two and are going with the Graco.  The Chicco is rated #1, but both are very safe and you can't go wrong with the Graco.  I like the Chicco patterns better, but have heard negatives about it's size.  I know that is part of what makes it so safe, but it is one of the larger infant car seats.

Yeah, the Snugride 32 and 35 actually weigh a little more than the Keyfit 30.

OP: I really liked our Keyfit 30 and we used it for 13 months.  It was very easy to use and install.  I didn't find it that heavy and had no problems carrying DS in it when he was 20 lbs.  If it does reach a point where it's too heavy for you, just leave it in the car like a convertible seat.

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• imagekatcarls:

imageLittleApple:
    imagemakinithappen:

Yeah, the Snugride 32 and 35 actually weigh a little more than the Keyfit 30.

OP: I really liked our Keyfit 30 and we used it for 13 months.  It was very easy to use and install.  I didn't find it that heavy and had no problems carrying DS in it when he was 20 lbs.  If it does reach a point where it's too heavy for you, just leave it in the car like a convertible seat.

Ah, I think I might have been comparing the Snugride 30 to the Keyfit 30 which is a more accurate comparison.  The Graco was slightly smaller and lighter between those...

• Chicco for us!  We played around with both, and safety features aside, much preferred the quality and ease of use of the Chicco.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We really like our Keyfit. The only drawback is that the sunshade is pretty flimsy and gets detached really easily.
  • FWIW...unless you are having an extremely tall or large baby (or have tall/large genes in your family) you will probably want to move LO to a convertible before they actually outgrow the carriers. DS was a bigger baby and I was ready to move him at 8mos. He would just now at almost 2.5 be outgrowing the height/weight limit on the snugride but I cannot imagine still using an infant carrier even if it stayed in the car.

• We have the Keyfit and love it! DD has been in it since she came home from the NICU and at almost a year, is still using it with room to spare!  Both are great seats though, GL!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"