Baby Showers
Options

Alcohol Question?

My shower is generously being hosted at a restaurant with about 40 people invited,Is it rude for the hostess not to have an open bar and to just do bottles of wine?

Re: Alcohol Question?

• Options
    I'm sure some of the people won't even expect alcohol to be served at all (some people don't think it belongs at a baby shower, which I don't understand).  As such, I doubt anyone would reallly have an issue w/ there being no open bar.  Bottles of wine are fine!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Not at all.  Serve wine or champagne - or just soft drinks and juices.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's totally up to the hostess to serve alcohol at your shower, or not. It wasn't served at my shower and it was all fine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Most of the showers I've been to the options were either just bottles of wine and/or big pitchers of Mimosas.  If guests wanted some other alcohol they had to pay for it themselves (I have only seen that happen at one shower).  I think that since most showers are around brunch, or early afternoon just wine is fine. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I don't think its rude at all. Like others have said, I don't even think its necessary to have alcohol at a baby shower. My friends are drinkers and we never do more than wine at a baby shower. I've always thought it was kind of rude to be boozing it up when the guest of honor can't partake.
  • Options
    My hosts did wine and mimosas.  Everything else was cash bar. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think providing bottles of wine is more than generous.  My hosts paid for sodas, coffee, teas and juice, but no alcohol.  Some people drank but they just had to pay as a cash bar for those.

I don't think most people expect a hosted bar of any sort at a baby shower.  At least I don't! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Personally I don't like having alcohol at a baby shower, but to each their own. If I knew there would be something alcoholic then I would expect it to be something like wine or champaigne, not an open bar. So no, I would not find it rude.

• Options
    I would be totally surprised to see an open bar at a shower. Wine, Champagne, etc are more in line with a shower in my opinion.
  • Options

I don't see anything wrong with wine and/or mimosas at a shower.  Just because the mom can't drink doesn't mean the guests can't.  I was at a very classy shower for  a distant relative which was being held at a country club when I was 18 weeks and I just had orange juice while we were all mingling and then iced tea and water during lunch.  It was no big deal, I didn't care that women were drinking alcohol around me, the guest of honor didn't look upset either. 

I wouldn't be offering beer or hard stuff...you know like vodka and mixers, I think that's a bit much for a shower.  Wine, champagne and mimosas are okay in my book.

• Options
    Most showers I have been to just have bowl of Mimosa.
  • Options
    I agree, I have never gone to a baby shower expecting there to be liquor. Dont worry about it ;-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    while i dont see why alcohol has to be at a baby shower (thats my opinion) i could see wine being perfect. we are not having alcohol at our shower, and i dont think anyone is going to be sad or upset over it. 
  • Options
    I have never been to a baby shower where there was any type of alcohol served.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Usually baby showers are without alcohol. So i'm sure it's fine. I wouldn't expect my hostess to have an opened bar. It's already expensive enough to have it catered somewhere. If you want maybe you can ask if you can bring your own wine to the party without a charge or a minimal corking fee. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"