Cloth Diapering
Options

Coming over to the "dark side"....hahah

So, i have made my final decision to cd my baby.  I have been going back and forth for about 4-5 months.  I even bought some used BG and sold them again.  I guess I was just scared of the unknown....kwim?  Anyways, DH is totally on board, which I am so thankful for!  He says, "let's try it and if we hate it, we will sell them"....so practical, that man of mine.  :)

I got online last night and took advantage of some of KellysClosets Cyber Monday Deals.   I bought 2 BG, 1 Kawaii, and 2 FB (all one size pockets).  I can't wait to get them!!!!!

I also opened a registry for people to buy me stuff for my showers....not sure if they will or not?  What do you think about this list:

About 15 different diapers : BG, FB, Kawaiis, HH, etc....  All OS pockets, about 7 hemp inserts for nighttime, Wetbags (sm, med, and large), Rockin' Green soap, diaper sprayer, and some diaper cream (I forget the brand).  How does that sound?  Anything I should add?

I am thinking that I am just going to do disposable wipes so I didn't bother with cloth wipes.

I am so happy (and scared to death) about joining this board.  I look forward to learning alot and you guys are always so helpful to newbies! Big Smile

Re: Coming over to the "dark side"....hahah

• Options

We love cloth diapering and the best info I can give you when you start is to try as many different kinds as you can (AIO, pockets, fitteds etc).  I found that by doing this, we got a good feel for what really worked for us.  You might want to try cloth wipes too, I find them a lot better than disposable ones and much more convenient when I am using cloth anyway (all goes into the same pail).  We didn't buy any, I just used pinking sheers (the crimpy kind) to prevent fraying and cut up old flannel sheets.

Glad your DH is on board, that makes it a lot easier too.  Enjoy!!

PCOS Clomid x 4 = BFN Met, Femara, Trigger x3 = BFP! EDD: May 18, 2011 Baby Boy born May 13, 2011 via emergency C section Our Friday the 13th miracle!
  • Options

When I made the final decision to CD, and after spending a good amount of money on a stash, I definitely had a moment where I was like, "OMG what did I just get myself into!??" But, I can say that it has been one of the best decisions I have made. DH even loves using CDs! 

Like pp said, I would consider cloth wipes. I didn't use them at first because, like you, I didn't want to bother. But I was getting tired of accidently throwing them in the wetbag, going out and buying them, and producing so much unnecessary waste (I needed like 3-4 per diaper change, whereas with cloth wipes I only need one). I decided to just cut up a bunch of 100% cotton t-shirts, and buy a bunch of cheap baby wash cloths. I wish I just used them from the start! They really are easier. You are washing the diapers all ready, might as well throw them in the laundry with them. 

What are planning on doing for the NB stage? The OS pockets might not fit and NB.It looks like you are on the right track with your registry and trying out different brands. I would have a couple of each size wetbags. At least 2 large for your home. And depending on how much you leave the house, you might want 2 medium.

GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would use cloth wipes. I have been using disposable wipes and it is a PITA. We are switching to cloth wipes...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebrittas:

When I made the final decision to CD, and after spending a good amount of money on a stash, I definitely had a moment where I was like, "OMG what did I just get myself into!??" But, I can say that it has been one of the best decisions I have made. DH even loves using CDs! 

Like pp said, I would consider cloth wipes. I didn't use them at first because, like you, I didn't want to bother. But I was getting tired of accidently throwing them in the wetbag, going out and buying them, and producing so much unnecessary waste (I needed like 3-4 per diaper change, whereas with cloth wipes I only need one). I decided to just cut up a bunch of 100% cotton t-shirts, and buy a bunch of cheap baby wash cloths. I wish I just used them from the start! They really are easier. You are washing the diapers all ready, might as well throw them in the laundry with them. 

What are planning on doing for the NB stage? The OS pockets might not fit and NB.It looks like you are on the right track with your registry and trying out different brands. I would have a couple of each size wetbags. At least 2 large for your home. And depending on how much you leave the house, you might want 2 medium.

GL! 

Thanks for your responses. 

We are going to do disposables for NB stage.  I don't want to have to buy seperate CD's for NB and I know that people will buy them for my showers whether I ask for them or not, so we are going to go with that.

I may check out the cloth wipes.....  What do you use to help clean?  Just water?

• Options

For the cloth wipes, I wet them and store them in a cloth wipes warmer (Lionheart). Then I keep CJs Carcass Cleaner on the changing table and use a little squirt for poopy diaper changes. 

There are many other cloth wipe routines out there... some use the peri bottle from the hospital with water and some tea tree oil and wet the wipe each time they need one.

Either way you want to get them wet and use cloth wipe solution somehow.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Hey girl! I remember you from TTGP. Like you, I thought about using sposies for the NB phase for a while. I decided to go ahead with CDing through the NB phase b/c I am afraid I would get accustomed to the convenience and not want to change the routine. We are planning to CD starting at the hospital. Prefolds are a great option for the NB phase and they are super affordable. You might want to buy a few just to try. 

I second the PPs on the cloth wipes. I haven't had my LO yet, but using cloth wipes just makes more sense to me. I have some Baby Bits to add to water to make the cleaning of baby a little easier. I plan to keep a spray bottle in my diaper bag.

With the detergent, do your research on the type that you are going to buy. Make sure you are getting a brand/formula that will work with the type of water you have. I opted for Country Save b/c they have a lot of great reviews. I also bought a sample of RNG to try out just because it looks fun and like it would smell great. However, I have read a lot of bad reviews for RNG. Also something that I have just thought about, I need a clothesline for drying/sunning the dipes. We had one but since I never used it, DH took it down. It's on his to-do list to put another up asap. 

Best of luck to you! 

• Options
    imagebrandywine2010:

Hey girl! I remember you from TTGP. Like you, I thought about using sposies for the NB phase for a while. I decided to go ahead with CDing through the NB phase b/c I am afraid I would get accustomed to the convenience and not want to change the routine. We are planning to CD starting at the hospital. Prefolds are a great option for the NB phase and they are super affordable. You might want to buy a few just to try. 

I second the PPs on the cloth wipes. I haven't had my LO yet, but using cloth wipes just makes more sense to me. I have some Baby Bits to add to water to make the cleaning of baby a little easier. I plan to keep a spray bottle in my diaper bag.

With the detergent, do your research on the type that you are going to buy. Make sure you are getting a brand/formula that will work with the type of water you have. I opted for Country Save b/c they have a lot of great reviews. I also bought a sample of RNG to try out just because it looks fun and like it would smell great. However, I have read a lot of bad reviews for RNG. Also something that I have just thought about, I need a clothesline for drying/sunning the dipes. We had one but since I never used it, DH took it down. It's on his to-do list to put another up asap. 

Best of luck to you! 

Hey...long time no see....  I can't believe you are so close!  I am starting to get really excited about CDing.  There is alot to it, but I think I am going to look at it more as a challenge that I CAN do.  Not sure what I will do about the NB stage, I still have some time.  The cloth wipes do seem to be more convenient, etc..  I may still do disposable wipes at day care.  I want to make it as easy on her as possible.

I will have to look into detergents.  I have heard alot of people say that plain ole' Tide powder works well too....

• Options
    imagekellinc1:
    imagebrandywine2010:

Hey...long time no see....  I can't believe you are so close!  I am starting to get really excited about CDing.  There is alot to it, but I think I am going to look at it more as a challenge that I CAN do.  Not sure what I will do about the NB stage, I still have some time.  The cloth wipes do seem to be more convenient, etc..  I may still do disposable wipes at day care.  I want to make it as easy on her as possible.

I will have to look into detergents.  I have heard alot of people say that plain ole' Tide powder works well too....

I know! I am actually at home today doing a 24 hour urine test for pre-e. Hopefully, this baby can cook a little longer. I am not quite ready for her just yet.

I love the name that you have picked out! Owen was one of our choices for a boy. March will be here before you know it! Best of luck with the coming weeks and with getting into your CD routine.  

• Options

Definitely try out the cloth wipes.  I think you'll find that they're easier than disposable, and if you have a sensitive skinned baby like my DS, the disposable wipes might make any diaper rash issues worse.

I also want to second the suggestion to try out some prefolds and a cover.  You might find out you love them.  We used disposables for the first 3 weeks while we waited for DS's cord to fall off.  We went through diapers and wipes so quickly and produced so much trash that it made me sick.  It seemed like I was sending DH out every other day to buy more dipes.  Prefolds are actually our favorite at the moment.  They're what DH always grabs for, and he we completely anti-CD in the beginning because he thought it was going to be a pain.  Prefolds are cheap, wash up really easy,and are actually kind of fun.

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Options
    imageLindsey8301:

Definitely try out the cloth wipes.  I think you'll find that they're easier than disposable, and if you have a sensitive skinned baby like my DS, the disposable wipes might make any diaper rash issues worse.

I also want to second the suggestion to try out some prefolds and a cover.  You might find out you love them.  We used disposables for the first 3 weeks while we waited for DS's cord to fall off.  We went through diapers and wipes so quickly and produced so much trash that it made me sick.  It seemed like I was sending DH out every other day to buy more dipes.  Prefolds are actually our favorite at the moment.  They're what DH always grabs for, and he we completely anti-CD in the beginning because he thought it was going to be a pain.  Prefolds are cheap, wash up really easy,and are actually kind of fun.

I have heard really good things about the FLIP brand.... we had talked about doing prefolds and covers at home and pockets at daycare.  Ahhh....so many choices!

• Options

I agree that disposable wipes would be more of a pain b/c you'd have to put them in a different place than the diaper. When I change her, the dipes and the wipes both go in the diaper pail - we don't even have a trash can in her room.

I use a little bottle (got it at Target for $1) filled with water and a little "diaper spray concentrate":

https://www.diaperjunction.com/kissaluvs-diaper-lotion-potion.html

I just spray the wipe before I change her. I just bought cheap baby washcloths for wipes - probablay a dollar or two for a whole pack.

Welcome to the wonderful (dark! :D) world of CDs!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"