November 2011 Moms
Options

***MrsBini*** - and a post partum depression question

I remember you posting that you had an emergency c-section because of a placental abruption.  I had the same thing happen and we almost lost the baby.  They couldn't find his heart rate and had to get him out asap.  I know I'm only 9 days post-partum, so baby blues are going to be normal, but I'm really upset/emotional about the fact that we almost lost him. 

I saw a lactation consultant today because breastfeeding isn't working out for me, and she said she thinks I might be suffering a little from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (she is one of the lactation consultants at the hospital I delivered at).  I'm just trying to see if this is something others with similar deliveries have gone through or if this is a more serious issue.  Hubby and I were talking last night and we don't even know if we want to try for a second child at this point in time, it was so scary.  Every time I think about the birth, I'm so thankful for our perfect boy and seriously upset (in tears)  that we could have come home without him.  Between the emergency c-section, lack of sleep,  failing at breastfeeding and the fact that we have no one out here to help (we relocated a year ago), I am feeling sad, overwhelmed and very anxious.  I feel like I'm not enjoying my sweet boy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ***MrsBini*** - and a post partum depression question

• Options
    Thoughts and Prayers for you.
  • Options

Wow...I am so sorry you had such a rough time! TBH, I think your experience was a lot more traumatic than mine. There was no time when we really feared for the baby's life because his HR was fine right until the very end when they went in to get him (the c/s was due to my low BP and bleeding when they broke my water, as far as I know LO was never in danger. Maybe I was but I didn't have the time or information to think about it!)

I also "failed" at BFing because my milk never came in.

It does scare me when I think of what could have happened, but at the time I had no idea how tragic an abruption could be.

I wish I had more/better advice for you but all I can say is many, many new moms feel anxious and overwhelmed, and your circumstances make the normal feelings even worse. I take Lexapro (which I was also on pre-pregnancy) for depression/anxiety and it does seem to help. Therapy might help you and your H also to sort out and express your feelings.

Best of luck and hang in there! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"