Natural Birth

Writing article about epidurals / natural birth for Slate magazine

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting back to my job as a health writer after having had a baby of my own, and right now I'm working on an article for Slate magazine about epidurals and the risks they pose to mother and baby (if any). In addition to talking to midwives and doctors, I'm hoping to include some comments from real pregnant women who are planning drug-free births, so I thought I'd reach out via this message board. I'm curious to hear your thoughts as to what you believe are the risks associated with epidurals and why are you avoiding them, if you are. If you would like to talk with me or share a few thoughts via email (or even in this thread), I'd be most grateful. 

Thank you!

Warm regards,

Melinda Wenner Moyer

www.melindawenner.com 

Re: Writing article about epidurals / natural birth for Slate magazine

•  I would be happy to tell you my birth story for DD #1 in 2009. We are trying to go Natural VBAC this time. Last time was pitocen, epi and then emergency CS.

Kristine schilling
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • I had an epidural with my first and a med-free delivery with my second.  I would be happy to talk to you about my experiences and the choices I made.  My email is nest.iris427@gmail.com

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I did not choose an epidural because I didn't want my baby affected by such strong drugs. I also had heard stories of them not done correctly/not giving complete relief, so I certainly didn't want to get one if it was not even a sure deal that it would work!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I had a medication-free birth at a hospital with my daughter. I'd be happy to talk with you. My e-mail is kaetisu (at) gmail dot com.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wanted to avoid a c-section and I felt my best chance at that was seeing midwives and going med free.  I worried about potential side effects of the epidural, more on my end than the baby's but I worried about that too.  I've heard of women getting bad spinal headaches afterward, paralysis and things like that due to the epidural.  I knew I wanted to get through without meds if at all possible ( and I did, twice!).
    imageimage 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"