Natural Birth
Options

Do I need a childbirth class?

I am planning on using my mom as a resource (7 kids the natural way --she's got to know something), reading natural birth books, and watching online videos with DH on laboring positions and such. We live far away from places where classes are offered.

Am I crazy for doing a natural birth without a class?

image imageimage

Re: Do I need a childbirth class?

• Options

you are the only one who can really answer that question.  i know women who did perfectly well without classes and others who clearly could have used them. 

i don't think it could hurt to take one, even if it was a long drive.  the more info the better.  you also might have specific questions that would not be addressed by a book or youtube video. 

there are also study courses that you can do at home.  hypnobirthing/hypnobabies are two options. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTexas77again:

you are the only one who can really answer that question.  i know women who did perfectly well without classes and others who clearly could have used them. 

i don't think it could hurt to take one, even if it was a long drive.  the more info the better.  you also might have specific questions that would not be addressed by a book or youtube video. 

there are also study courses that you can do at home.  hypnobirthing/hypnobabies are two options. 

I have thought about the homestudy courses for hypnobabies! anyone have any experience with these?

image imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it all depends on if you know what to expect, how familiar you are with newborns and if you have been around young children. I have never taken one and never felt the need to. It just depends on if you feel like you would learn something from it or not.
  • Options
    I did Hypnobabies home study course with the birth of my daughter a year ago and successfully managed a natural labor and delivery. I would recommend it even just for self-confidence and relaxation. It definitely helped me achieve my natural birth but as pp have said it depends on the person. Just check ebay or craigslist! :)
    Lilly & Ryan 7/4/09 --- Lelia Noelle 11/29/10 --- Aerilyn Grace 11/3/12
    imageimageimageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We did not do a class but did read the hypnobirthing book and listened to the CD and did the meditations every night from about 20 weeks on. We also had a doula.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Check out The Pink Kit.  It is a few cds and dvd with pdf download and I really enjoyed it.  My favorite part, and maybe I'm weird, was where you mapped out your own pelvis to find out before labor what positions would work best for you to make you more open.  I felt much more confident about my ability to deliver a baby with this course.  And I did with only 1 stitch!!! 

https://thepinkkit.com/

• Options

You are not crazy and most women in the world manage without classes.  You have resources.

You'll be fine.  It'll be just fine.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

Think of it this way: our body was meant for this. Resources and learning and books and classes are all so you can have confidence in your body's ability to birth and your baby's ability to be born. If you're confident without classes, then it means you've drawn your strength from other places.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"