Food Allergy
Options

Never stop being your own watchdog, even in the hospital... ::vent::

I just wanted to vent quickly. There are often posts about how hard it is to avoid food allergies for ourselves and our LOs, and it is so true. No matter how old I get and how well people know me and my food needs there are still mishaps.

For example: My sister ordered a cake with nuts and a mixed fruit plate with melons for my baby shower (tree nut allergy and OAS). It was a lovely shower otherwise, but I did mention the nuts thing. Turned out the bakery took her order wrong and she didn't catch it. I didn't mention the fruit tray.

And more recently, and more seriously: I just had my LO last week. We ended up eating Thanksgiving dinner in my hospital room - which was just fine, except that the cranberry apple salad had walnuts in it! The menu had no mention of nuts in anything and my chart had right on it that I am allergic to tree nuts. I was just mildly irritated at the time, but after getting home from the hospital it dawned on me how horrible it was that I was served nuts while in the hospital. I'm glad I caught them in time because they were IN the salad, not sprinkled on top where I could easily see them. I'm going to call and speak with a manager in the nutrition department tomorrow about it. Totally unacceptable.

It just goes to show that no matter what we (and our LOs) always have to be vigilant. It sucks that I have to even be suspicious of hospital food, but that's the way it is.

Re: Never stop being your own watchdog, even in the hospital... ::vent::

• Options
    My LO had a reaction while in the hospital for a few days for unrelated issues.  They swore up and down that all of his food would be safe.  He ended up with a rash all over his face and arms.  He had to be given benadryl and be watched by a nurse.  The kitchen swears there was no cross-contamination.  This is why I never allow anyone to cook for DS.  He is too little to express that he is having invisible symptoms (itchy throat, stomach pain). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

so scary! 

First of all -congratulations!!!!!  

thankfully you caught it but it is crazy that a hospital isn't even safe. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I had DS, DH brought every single meal to me from home and he ate what the hospital supplied for me. I didn't trust their kitchen at all, because I'm Top-8 free and pretty sensitive. The nurses were all ogling over the dishes DH would bring!
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"