Houston Babies

making the room transition at day care and dropping the bottle

They don't want to switch C over fully to the next room until she drops her bottles and just takes sippies.

Tomorrow will be one year of BFing and I'm slowly weaning off my pump.  I've just been doing once a day at work this week.

The past few weeks I've been giving her sippies of milk at meals. She won't touch it in the morning. Drinks .50-1 oz ounce at lunch and then guzzles it at dinner. This is with nursing/her bottles.

This week I've been mixing whole milk and BM in her bottles.I know she nurses less and less as I hardly pump anything anymore.

I'm thinking of asking them not to give her the morning bottle tomorrow as she herself dropped it down to 2 oz instead of 5 oz. a few weeks ago.  She only drinks 4 oz in the afternoon bottle.

Did you just go cold turkey on bottles and there were a few days that they didn't get any milk? Did your kiddo just learn to drink it?

Other than that she's doing great in the big room. She's jumped right in the days they take her over there. She LOVES interacting with all the kids.

Re: making the room transition at day care and dropping the bottle

• If I recall correctly, we dropped the during the day bottles cold turkey and offered milk in a sippy cup. We did a morning, before daycare, bottle and a bedtime bottle only for a week or so before weaning completely. I think it took a few days before C took more than just a few sips of milk at a time, but he eventually took the entire cup in one sitting.
  • On the recommendation of my pediatrician, we dropped bottles cold turkey.  It took her a couple of days to get used to the sippy cup but then she was fine.  I did slowly mix formula and whole milk over 2 weeks, gradually increasing the amount of whole milk.  We did this b/c A got REALLY constipated from the whole milk until she got used to it.
  • Loading the player...
  • We dropped "bottles" cold turkey, but he took a sippy cup of water with meals since he was 6 months, so he was used to the sippy cup.  He only had bottle every other Friday though while DH kept him and I worked.

While I was weaning he didn't really take to whole milk - but now he loves it.  I think he just had to get used to the taste of it.  

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • She likes and can use many types of sippies. She LOVES her water. LOL
  • No advice on changing rooms, our school doesn't operate that way. 

But, right at a year I was DONE pumping, I talked to C's teacher and she said that in her experience it was best just to go cold turkey and switch from bottles of BM to sippies of cow's milk.   So that's what we did.  (He already had sippies mastered and had had cow's milk before so we knew there wouldn't be any issues there.) There were a couple of days when he really didn't drink much milk at school but I was still nursing morning and night so I figured he'd be fine. Over a week or two the amount of cow's milk he drank during the day gradually increased.

I did send an emergency bottle of BM to school w/ him that first week, I told his teacher it was "just in case" he flat out refused to nap w/out the bottle.   She never gave him the bottle and he napped just fine but it made me feel better.  ;)

I quit pumping just before he turned one because I was done done done, but I just weaned him about a week ago, so if you worry that she doesn't drink enough cow's milk, you can keep nursing just morning and night.

BTW, congrats to you, you made it a year!  Good job mama.  :)  

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Evan wouldn't take a sippy cup for anything. Even when he could hold his own bottle, the only way he would drink it was if he was laying down. So when we went for his 1 year visit the doctor said to drop the bottle cold turkey. He said that there is a point where they get too attached and the transition becomes even harder, so we went to the straw sippy cup. That was the only way he could drink from a cup. He has since learned to use a regular sippy cup, but he still much prefers the straw cups.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"