Nurseries and Baby Gear

Need nursery furniture advice, please!

Hi, everyone!

My DH and I are pregnant with our first together, and we're having trouble agreeing on nursery furniture. I prefer to have a long (56-60 inches) dresser that will double as a changer, as I have heard buying a changing table is a complete waste. 

He's worries about space in the nursery for a crib, dresser, and glider, so he wants a chest of drawers. It'll save us about 14-16 inches.

Is the dresser worth having? We plan on using it for more than one baby. Or did a lot of you end up changing your little ones anywhere and everywhere?

I have a bad back, so I'd like something I can lay the baby on, but if it isn't practical, I understand.

I'd love your thoughts, as we're buying something tonight.

Thanks, ladies! This first time mom-to-be appreciates any and all input. =)
BabyName Ticker

Re: Need nursery furniture advice, please!

• I wanted one of those long dressers too.  Our nursery was originally our spare room, that was going to double as a guest bedroom and office.  Well, baby decided to come along and we already had signed the lease, so it will become a nursery/guest/office.  Basically - really not enough space for anything.  Any dresser of good working height for you can become a changing table. We got the dresser my sister used as a kid (unknowingly my parents were going to give it away before I snatched it up), and put a changing pad from Ikea on top of it:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/45568900/

It's smaller than the ones you find at most baby stores, and fits perfectly on our dresser. Since then there's no space on top of the dresser for diapers and wipes, we got a cute little mesh caddy thing for the wall directly above the dresser.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50163264/

Everything is within reach, and perfectly organized.  We could have done the same idea by putting small shelves on the walls for storing diapers/wipes, but that organizer is way cheaper than shelf and brackets.  Remember to utilize vertical space when dealing with a limited floor plan.

Me: 29  DH: 33
    Married April 1st 2017 <3
    DS #1: May 2009 
    DS #2: Jan 2012 

• I would go with the dresser.  It doesn't need to be long as long as it fits your changing pad.  You can easily put a shelf above the dresser to store diapers, and changing supplies in baskets, plus then LO won't be grabbing at it as they get older.

• Loading the player...
  • imagealiciamccool:

I would go with the dresser.  It doesn't need to be long as long as it fits your changing pad.  You can easily put a shelf above the dresser to store diapers, and changing supplies in baskets, plus then LO won't be grabbing at it as they get older.

I agree with this.  Our dresser has 3 drawers and a door, but if we had less space, I'd go with just 3 drawers.

A chest of drawers is too high to use for changing, so where would you change the baby?  I wouldn't always want to be on the floor or bringing a bunch of things to our bedroom, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• We have a short, long dresser as a changing table. We've used it for every single diaper change thus far, and DS is 8.5 months old. We're just now starting to change him elsewhere as diaper changes have turned into a wrestling match with a 25#, 32" long rolling crocodile.

Ditto that it doesn't have to be 50+" long dresser. It just has to be long enough to fit the changing pad, and those are about 32" long.

• OP, I just saw the part about you having a bad back.  DH and I have back issues too--all the more reason to have a specific place to change the baby where you aren't always bending over uncomfortably.  My vote is still for the dresser Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Ditto on what the PP's said about getting a dresser that is a bit shorter. It just needs to fit a changing pad, and then you can use part of the top drawer or install shelves above the dresser to store diapers/wipes etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAliW220:

I wanted one of those long dressers too.  Our nursery was originally our spare room, that was going to double as a guest bedroom and office.  Well, baby decided to come along and we already had signed the lease, so it will become a nursery/guest/office.  Basically - really not enough space for anything.  Any dresser of good working height for you can become a changing table. We got the dresser my sister used as a kid (unknowingly my parents were going to give it away before I snatched it up), and put a changing pad from Ikea on top of it:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/45568900/

It's smaller than the ones you find at most baby stores, and fits perfectly on our dresser. Since then there's no space on top of the dresser for diapers and wipes, we got a cute little mesh caddy thing for the wall directly above the dresser.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50163264/

Everything is within reach, and perfectly organized.  We could have done the same idea by putting small shelves on the walls for storing diapers/wipes, but that organizer is way cheaper than shelf and brackets.  Remember to utilize vertical space when dealing with a limited floor plan.

Agree with others.  Go for the shorter dresser. 

And btw love this mesh caddy thing for the wall! Will need to get one.  thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We have a taller dresser and a changing table that I got at a rummage sale for $5. We only use the changing table at night, otherwise I have a little basket with diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream, changing pad, and hand sanitizer in the living room and we just take that and change her on the couch. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"