Parenting after 35

Stever will get upset again,

I better post something. 

Are you travelling for the holidays, do you have guests coming over, or will you just chill out with your family?

The last option sounds the most appealing to me, but we will be visiting DH's family in the northeast. 3 weeks away from home. Christmas night  we will spend at my FIL's with many people, 80% of which I don't know. I am good at socializing though, so that is not an issue. I am only freaking out about flying with DS, especially since we don't have a direct flight. We will see how it goes...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stever will get upset again,

• Thanksgiving is always a zoo around here, but the Christmas holidays are generally quiet.  My BIL the bachelor may come down from Minnesota, but that's about it.

• The in-laws and my sister live in town, so we'll go to the in-laws Christmas eve and then go to my sister's sometime on Christmas day. It's all very laid back. No travelling for us!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We will be making the three hours drive to visit DH's side the week before Christmas.  Two new babies in the family (DD2 and nephew) convinced my parents and sister to come to us this year.  Of course, they are planning to stay a week, which is longer than I expected.  They live five hours away, so we see them every few months.  At least they will be in a hotel and not with us (we don't have room).
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Aw, always thinking of me Embarrassed

We WILL be travelling this Christmas. At 38 I'm still on the same schedule of switching parents every holiday that I've been on since I was 12 - Thankgiving w/Mom, Christmas w/Dad, IL's for Christmas if  we're in the UK.

Dad initially wanted to go to Tahoe this Christmas but we will instead be going to the beach. 

• We are moving into our new home on the 9th.....so, for the first time in many years my husband and I will have both our parents come to us rather than going to both in one day.  I cannot wait!
  • Normally Christmas Eve is with my parents, Christmas Day with MH?s parents. My parents have an open house type of thing every Christmas Eve, so we?ll be going to that. Tons of food & everyone opens their gifts. Christmas day, we?ll probably go to my IL?s for dinner.  Each set of parents is maybe ? hour or less away, so it?s not a big deal for us to travel. So yeah, looks like we?re traveling.

Since we have our own new LO, I had hoped that people would come visit us instead of us visiting them just once (it seems like that happens for so many other people) but it?s not working out that way. My dad can?t handle the steps at my house, so we kind of have to go to my parents? house so he can see LO. Then I feel like if we?re going to my parents house, we can?t not to go DH?s parents? house. Guilt is such a cruel mistress.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DH's family went off the deep end 2 years ago and mine's always been overwhelming (Christmas eve with my family is 70+ family members...).  Holidays have always been stressfully chaotic.  and every year we said "next year we're leaving town!!"  Last year we did. 

We hide out.  Seriously.  We drive 5 hours to the Oregeon coast, just the DH, kids and I and we spend 5 solitary days there.  It's re-energizing, re-focusing, re-vitalizing.  It's perfect.  The teenagers have a great time and talk about it all year long.  This year LO will be with us as our new tradition continues.

• imageLauraLynneC:

DH's family went off the deep end 2 years ago and mine's always been overwhelming (Christmas eve with my family is 70+ family members...).  Holidays have always been stressfully chaotic.  and every year we said "next year we're leaving town!!"  Last year we did. 

We hide out.  Seriously.  We drive 5 hours to the Oregeon coast, just the DH, kids and I and we spend 5 solitary days there.  It's re-energizing, re-focusing, re-vitalizing.  It's perfect.  The teenagers have a great time and talk about it all year long.  This year LO will be with us as our new tradition continues.

Ohhhh jealous, the Oregon coast is beautiful!  (I'm a former Seattleite).  Alas, we are traveling this year, big time.  A loooonnnnnggg drive (10 hours +) to DH's family.  We wanted to fly, but airfare has been ridiculous every time I've checked in the past 4 months and with new LO on the way, we need to be budget conscious.  Fortunately I love DH's family or I would probably make a stink about driving.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's our year to spend with my family in MN, driving the 5 hours.  Should be OK, just we'll spend $.   I am looking forward to it!
  • We are travelling to see DH's family this holiday. I would have preferred to stay home, but DH's parents are much older and have difficulty travelling.  Also, both our families are in the same city, so it makes much more sense for us to head up then for them to come to us.  However, I am very nervous since our LO will only be around 8 or 9 weeks then.  I am going to have to post a separate thread about advice regarding travel with a baby!
  • My parents are coming the weekend before Christmas and are going to my brother's on Christmas weekend.  The IL are coming over on Christmas eve and day.  We will go to my brothers on the 27th and 28th.  We want Michael to have Christmas at home and have that tradition. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"