January 2011 Moms
Options

Solids

Where is everyone on the transition to solids?

Since we moved I've been greatly slacking. DD gets finger food when we eat dinner, and usually a snack at some point during the day, but other than that she's still mostly on formula. She'll eat anything I give her. It's me that's the problem. I don't know what to make/buy for her. I can't feed her what I eat, because I hardly eat and when I do it's crappy pregnancy craving foods.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Solids

• Options

I know my LO will be having turkey, stuffing and sweat potatoes tmrw. She had shredded turkey last week and went nuts for it.

Ive only been exploring new foods for a little over a week now. H made her pancakes, and she has had some pasta too. Im like you though, its like sometimes I dont eat food that is appropriate for her, so she gets rice cereal or puree's and still 4 8 oz bottles a day. I know she is doing fine on the formula, but Id like to step it up with her exploring new foods too.

Im curious to see what everyone else says.

• Options

My DD took such a long time to actually eat any solids without gagging herself. up until about 2 months ago I couldn't get her to eat any solids.

Now she has a yogurt and half a waffle or a fruit puree for breakfast, she usually has a snack of Cheerios and some pieces of banana or other fruit. Lunch is the hardest for me so I usually make her some lentils or some lukewarm soup. Dinner she has what we have in addition to a veggie puree most nights. She still drinks 4 bottles a day (sometimes more).

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Coop will be eating purees for the rest of his life.  I give him things i'm eating and he does fine (sometimes).  We always give him new foods and either it's a hit or a miss.  I keep trying pasta, but he freaks out.  I'm trying...he is just making it difficult lol.  Any advice?

I would like to add that Cooper literally chokes 1-2 times a day on his saliva.  It's very scary and this also has a lot to do with me being nervous.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRosieBcheeks98:

Coop will be eating purees for the rest of his life.  I give him things i'm eating and he does fine (sometimes).  We always give him new foods and either it's a hit or a miss.  I keep trying pasta, but he freaks out.  I'm trying...he is just making it difficult lol.  Any advice?

I would like to add that Cooper literally chokes 1-2 times a day on his saliva.  It's very scary and this also has a lot to do with me being nervous.

Shiloh has quite the gag reflex herself.  We are trying to introduce more foods and variety, but are still very heavy on the purees.  I did steam some edamame last night and then popped the beans out and gave her those, and she ate like 7 of them, but I hovered over her the entire time ready to spring into action if need be.  She did cough and turn watery eyed a couple times, which freaked me out, but that didn't seem to stop her.  I plan on giving her mashed potatoes, stuffing, and some shredded turkey tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!  But yeah, for us it's purees supplemented with some finger foods at this point, with 4-5 five oz bottles of formula a day as well.  I will give her tastes of what we are having if it seems appropriate, but we are nowhere near giving her what we have at each meal.
  • Options

Joaquin all of a sudden started eating really well.  She & I pretty much share meals at this point, and she gets milk every 4 hours or so.  She really likes it if I give her the food right off my plate which I'm sure will get really irritating when she eats more.  I do have to be careful though, not to make myself, say, a pb&j when she's acting like a starving baby bird.  We have dry cereal for breakfast with fruit, and a veggie with lunch.

She definitely has marked preferences in terms of presentation... she's been super into grilled green pepper strips, asparagus and cumin & garlic sweet potato fries this week, but if I cut them into smaller pieces she's like, what is this f*ckery momma.  She's icked out by melted cheese right now of all things, but really likes pieces of super sharp cheddar.  I've given her rotini and farfalle and she's not a fan, but she'll shove angel hair into her mouth by the tiny fistful.  Her favorite new thing right now is 3 bean chili, with scallions but omg the diapers.  We had pizza last night, and she really liked the pepperoni off H's and the mushrooms off mine.

She gags a lot though, because she's all, oh, this chewing business is fun! and then forgets to swallow until she gets a huge wad of food in her mouth.  From what I understand though, that's pretty normal.

And of course, by writing this I've completely jinxed myself. lol. Tonight we're having kraft dinner and steamed broccoli spears.  It's been kind of a rough week.

• Options

Breakfast: One or more of the following:

Cheerios, pancakes, french toast, eggs, puree & toast, fruit(no bananas), oatmeal

Lunch:

Grilled cheese, mac-n-cheese, baked chicken, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, turkey, ham, chicken breat, cheese, cottage cheese, gerber prepared lunch tray thing, pickle, soup....

Dinner: Could be similar to lunch. Usually he will each what H and I eat.

pizza, spegetti, garlic bread, fish, chicken, turkey, potato's, carrots, peas, mix of veggies

Honestly, he could eat just about anything.

• Options
    Hearing all of your responses, I don't feel so bad. I guess I'm just freaking out a bit because we're only 6 weeks from the big... well, I won't say it. I thought we were supposed to be cutting drastically back on bottles by now, but it looks like what we're doing is pretty normal.
  • Options
    we seem to have good & bad days. some days if i feed p purees all he does is smack them out of my hand, try to play with the bowl, tear his bib off...anything but eat. so i kind of figured maybe he's getting bored with them but he's not great with solids either. he'll eat them fine & pick them up fine, it' just a matter of how tastey they are. he loves cheerios, puffs, yogurt melts, most fruits, pancakes, waffles, anything full of carbs...but if i give him veggies or cheese sometimes they'll sit on his tray for 20mins before he puts a dent in them.
  • Options

Even though Jay eats all day. He is still drinking a lot of formula. He usually drinks the same amount regardless of the amount of solids he has had ini a day. We still go through close to two cans of formula a month from Sam's. Sometimes closer to 3 cans.

• Options
    imagejcole32444:

Even though Jay eats all day. He is still drinking a lot of formula. He usually drinks the same amount regardless of the amount of solids he has had ini a day. We still go through close to two cans of formula a month from Sam's. Sometimes closer to 3 cans.

p does the same thing, he either gets 24oz or 28oz of formula each day & it doesnt seem to change based on how much food he's eaten. seems like we go through a 2lb container of formula in just a little over a week. we probably easily spend $80 a month on formula

• Options

I have cut down on nursing tremendously. Only about 4 times per day now so I have no idea how much he's getting.

For breakfast it's almost always the same - 5 Tablespoons baby oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1 - 2 oz of BM mixed in - and sometimes I'll feed him bits of the rest of the banana until he's no longer interested

Lunch - 4 oz of yogurt and a few pieces of pancake, sometimes I can sneak a bit of another fruit in there

Dinner - this is hit or miss. Sometimes he chows down, other times not so much. He's not really feeling purees lately, he loves broccoli and I try to give carrots and a little fruit with chicken. 

Snacks - puffs, yogurt melts but not everyday 

However, for about 2 weeks now I almost let him sample anything I have - he ate mac and cheese from the food court at the mall today and loved it, we've given bread dipped in pasta sauce, soup, pasta (not a fan at all), disco fries, cheese, really anything I think he can easily much with his almost 4 whole teeth and that's not gross fast food. Oh, and last night he ate like 5 black beans!

Tomorrow, he can have anything he wants!! I can't wait to see him enjoy his first turkey day!

• Options
    She eats anything we eat. She's weaning herself from the bottle, but I don't like it because she doesn't really care for the sippy cup either.
  • Options

I'm glad to see this post because we're not really on a schedule and I sometimes worry she's not having enough solid meals.

DD basically eats what we eat plus a few purees to make sure she's eating enough. The only things I don't feed her are french fries, ice cream, and other junk food. We try for 3 solid meals a day. At least once a week we have a day of 2 times that she sits for a meal. Often she'll be in the high chair 3 times in a day but not really want much to eat.

Breakfast: cheerios, puffs, jarred fruit with rice and/or oatmeal mixed in. (On weekends pancakes or eggs or whatever.)

Lunch: pureed food or leftovers from breakfast. Or part of what I'm eating if we go out. Or she nurses instead of sitting down 'cause we're on our way somewhere. This meal is kind of a mess (for both of us) and I'm working on making it better. Yesterday we had tuna and cheese.

Dinner: Whatever we're having + something pureed (usually a soup that I've made and frozen) to make sure she's really eaten enough.

She nurses at least in the morning, before bed, at some point during the day, and twice during the night.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"