Pre-School and Daycare

xp: New baby and changing school?

Hi girls!  I have a question for you...I am going to be having a baby any day now, which I think will be a huge adjustment to our almost 4-yo son, even though he LOVES babies and seems excited.  We are going to continue taking him to school (aka facility daycare) 3 days a week during my maternity leave.  When I go back to work, I will have a new position at a different location closer to our house.  DS's daycare is currently near the hospital where I was working before being put on bedrest.  Right now and during maternity leave we are driving 20 minutes to take DS to daycare.  I am going to visit a new daycare tomorrow that is just up the road from our house and I've heard very good things about.  It would be so much nicer for US to drive the 2-minute drive, but I am concerned about DS.  Do you think this will be too much change for him?  He is definitely a creature of habit, but adjusts well eventually.  The nice thing is that he will be going to school with a lot of the same kids he'll be going to kindergarten and elementary school with.  Plus, its going to be snowy, typical Michigan weather from here on out and I hate driving the kids in it any more than I have to.  What would you girls do???
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: xp: New baby and changing school?

• I think with the way you are doing it, DS will probably be fine.  I am due in March and had to contemplate the whole school thing this past summer...I wanted to bring him to PreK at the school I work at (40 min drive), but then I would have to switch him to one close to home once the baby came and I was on maternity leave.  I didn't want to do two big changes all at once (new sister and new school), so I just opted to put him the school close to us so there would be no switch.  Since you are keeping him at the same school throughout your maternity leave, he will probably have gotten used to his new sibling enough to warrant the change to the new school when you return to work.

Good luck and congrats on your baby!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageFloridamom224:

I think with the way you are doing it, DS will probably be fine.  I am due in March and had to contemplate the whole school thing this past summer...I wanted to bring him to PreK at the school I work at (40 min drive), but then I would have to switch him to one close to home once the baby came and I was on maternity leave.  I didn't want to do two big changes all at once (new sister and new school), so I just opted to put him the school close to us so there would be no switch.  Since you are keeping him at the same school throughout your maternity leave, he will probably have gotten used to his new sibling enough to warrant the change to the new school when you return to work.

Good luck and congrats on your baby!

Oops, I guess I wasn't very clear.  We are planning to change schools asap.  Do you think we should wait a few months then? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"