TTC after 35

Another cancelled cycle

Just got the call from RMA--estrogen only 51 and only 2 mature follies on day 10 so they want to cancel. I don't know what to do. My doc has been pushing the whole donor egg thing at me from the 1st cycle. I want to make sure I have tried everything before I go that route since as an African American the odds of finding a donor is lower and trying for my features ( my background is mixed) is gonna make the pool of candidates even smaller. Not to mention the idea of not being the biological mother is not something I can wrap my head around right now..Should I try for another cycle?

June--cancelled IVF--only 4 follies 

July--lab closed

August-- 5 follies, converted to IUI, BFN

September-- skipped

November---cancelled 2 follies                                                              

Success after 3 years of trying! Alexander and Porter born May 3, 2013....

Re: Another cancelled cycle

• Can you remind us of your age, labs (are you DOR) and protocols for these IVF attempts?

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• I don't think it's quanity of follies, that matters as much as quality of your eggs.  My RE could not accept that we are not interested in cycling with DE (our choice), so I chose to find a different RE.  I know that how you are paying definitely effects our choices on next move.  Personally, I would NEVER move on to DE-without completing an IVF cycle and having a better understanding of egg quality.  Good luck!!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Mrs McIrish--I am 42, DH 37.

Protocol used: 1st time 450Follistim, 20units Lupron 2x a day. 2nd attempt: same protocol. This most recent attempt: Estrace vaginally 7 days, then 225 Follistim 20 Lupron in the morning, 225 Follistim/20Lupron/15HCG at night. I also started accupuncture this go around.

Happywife---I agree with you on the DE! I see it as a final resort after exhausting all options. When I did IUI because it was converted they waited longer and the follicles matured more and I had 4-5 follies, which kinda pissed me off cause it made me think I may just be a slow responder and they should have done an IVF.

I keep reading that RMA is one of the best places in NJ--but I think maybe I need another RE. Life is so unfair sometimes. My boss who is 50 just gave birth to a healthy baby girl 2 months ago! Who knew I would have such a problem...maybe I should ask my boss who her doctor was! :)

• imagedanafromslope:

My boss who is 50 just gave birth to a healthy baby girl 2 months ago! Who knew I would have such a problem...maybe I should ask my boss who her doctor was! :)

I would bet you $100,000,000 that your boss used donor eggs.

Good luck as you figure out next steps.

• imagedanafromslope:

Mrs McIrish--I am 42, DH 37.

Protocol used: 1st time 450Follistim, 20units Lupron 2x a day. 2nd attempt: same protocol. This most recent attempt: Estrace vaginally 7 days, then 225 Follistim 20 Lupron in the morning, 225 Follistim/20Lupron/15HCG at night. I also started accupuncture this go around.

Happywife---I agree with you on the DE! I see it as a final resort after exhausting all options. When I did IUI because it was converted they waited longer and the follicles matured more and I had 4-5 follies, which kinda pissed me off cause it made me think I may just be a slow responder and they should have done an IVF.

I keep reading that RMA is one of the best places in NJ--but I think maybe I need another RE. Life is so unfair sometimes. My boss who is 50 just gave birth to a healthy baby girl 2 months ago! Who knew I would have such a problem...maybe I should ask my boss who her doctor was! :)

I would seek a 2nd opinion to see what they say. As Happywife said, find someone who will let you go to retrieval. I also could not move to DE until I get to try IVF with OE. I'm not familiar with your protocols. I'm not sure if high stim is the best for older women and/or DOR but you weren't maxed out on stims at 450.  600 is max.

What is your FSH?

I'd sort of give your boss the side eye--I'm going with DE there along with Brooklyn. You should totally ask her what doc she saw!

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• I would ask your RE about Human Growth Hormone.  It's expensive, about $600-$700 per cycle and 100 percent OOP.   With my most recent cycle we used HGH, 600iu of Gonal-f and Menopur 150 to get things started.  I have found that sometimes I have to be my own advocate to get to ER, but both times I've had one 8 cell embryo to transfer on day 3.  Finding good eggs can be the biggest challenge!!  I always have to remember that it only takes one!!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • imagehappywifemomofone:
    I would ask your RE about Human Growth Hormone.  It's expensive, about $600-$700 per cycle and 100 percent OOP.   With my most recent cycle we used HGH, 600iu of Gonal-f and Menopur 150 to get things started.  I have found that sometimes I have to be my own advocate to get to ER, but both times I've had one 8 cell embryo to transfer on day 3.  Finding good eggs can be the biggest challenge!!  I always have to remember that it only takes one!!

HGH is on my list of questions for the RE at tomorrow's WTF..

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• Great advice ladies---I hadn't thought of growth hormones. I also have to wonder if the fact that she has had me on 75mg of DHEA for this whole time has effected my ovulation. I don't know what my FSH was for this cycle, I can find out. For the record, my boss says she went to the fertility institute of NJ in Westwood. I think I will give them a call after I get all my lab numbers from RMA....
  • Sorry I can't help you with any of your questions but a friend of mine from NJ left her RE to go to RMA because she also heard they were the best around. She keeps bringing it up. You will have to let me know what you think. Good Luck.

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• imagedanafromslope:

Mrs McIrish--I am 42, DH 37.

Dana, I also go to RMA in NJ and I am on this exact protocol but I did the estrace orally for 10 days. (I also started acupuncture this cycle) I posted earlier that they may want to convert to IUI because I only have 3 follies now, two are out in front, which I don't want to do.  Your converted cycle is exactly why I am going to be firm that I want to push as long as I can to get to ER. I do think RMA is very good, I haven't had any issues there, but I will definitely be advocating for myself with this one.

I definitely think you should get through a complete IVF before they talk to you about DE. I'm really surprised  that they are pushing DE at this point.

TTC since 3/2010. Me 41, DH-49. After 3 years, 6 IUIs and several IVFs we have finally have our beautiful baby girl, born on 11/7/13.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"