VBAC

New to the board. :) Intro w/ some questions

Hi! I haven't been on the bump in months, but thought I'd come on, say hello and get some advice from you ladies.

I had my son 16 months ago after my induction failed to progress. I never made it past 4 cm after 20 hours, and we had a small scare of him going into distress for a minute. (That was due to other factors going on.) For a very long time I grieved the birth experience I didn't get to have. I met with my OB last week for my annual, told him we were going to start TTC soon, and wanted to talk to him about a VBAC. He said, "Well, we do them, I don't think it will work, but I"ll let you try." All my brain heard was "I'll let you try" and that was enough to make me really happy, but when I replayed the convo in my head I realized how he wasn't very optimistic about it. I do NOT want another c/s. My recovery was horrible and I 100% do not want to go through any of that again if I can help it. So, my question is, do I stick with my doctor and trust what he thinks since he was the one with me in labor and the one to perform the c/s, or go for another opinion? I'd really appreciate any advice or similar experiences. Thanks! 

Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
            07.30.10          08.17.12           

Re: New to the board. :) Intro w/ some questions

• Since you were FTP after induction and your doc is blaming your body, I'd switch for sure!  Based on what info you provided, this is a pretty open and shut case if you want to pursue a VBAC if I'm being honest.  I switched from one midwife practice to the other t 25w and my first one was still much more positive that I was a good candidate.  Why were you induced? 

ETA: With my DS I was induced at 40w due to high blood pressure.  I was given Cytotec, Cervadil, breast pump and maxed out on Pit over the course of three nights and only got to 2 cm.  I went home b/c my bp went down and came back in labor on my own, but was FTP (or really failure for midwife to wait, imo) and he was born at 40w6d.  I got a little past 9 cm, but he never dropped and I never pushed.  So even looking at my case, I was induced at 40w for three nights and only got to 2 cm.  I had my DD via VBAC at 40w1d and it was an awesome labor!  Actually I stalled a little with her too, but had a doula and supportive midwives by my side.

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would most definitely go for another opinion. He said, "I don't think it will work" so he may be looking to prove himself right when the time comes. Is there midwives group near you?

I also had a c-section for FTP but have been lucky that my OBs are very supportive and encouraging of my VBAC wishes. Had they shown any hesitation or discouragement I would have sought out alternative care in a  heartbeat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Switch!!

Look up your local ICAN group and see if they can point you to supportive providers. Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I would switch if at all possible!  I don't have a local ICAN chapter, so I just googled "VBAC supportive midwife (or birth center, OB, etc) in the ABQ area" and found my current midwife.  See if you can find at least a couple, and go in for a consult about VBACs, etc.  Hopefully you can find an encouraging provider that is 100% supportive!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Welcome!

I agree with everyone else that you should get a second opinion.  You had an induction that didn't work.  That is not a reflection on your body, it's a reflection on the limitations of modern medicine.  It's well known that inductions dramatically increase your chance of a c/s if you are a first timer, so why do some OBs act like a failed induction means your body is defective?  It makes no sense. 

The OB who I had for my first labor and c/s essentially told me I shouldn't bother with a VBAC because I would just end up with another c/s.  I got a few more opinions and did some reading on my own and I ended up having a fast and easy VBAC.  I'm so glad I didn't take my first doctor's words to heart.

GL! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I did look through my ICAN chapter today and found a midwife I've already read glowing reviews about. I'm going to look into her group more and see what my other options are. I do love my OB, I've been going to him for 8 years, but if he isn't in my corner with this I will definitely switch. Its way too important to me. 

I appreciate the feedback, hopefully I'll be here pregnant next time!  

Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"