Special Needs

If your LO is in "school" for their services--- need gift ideas

DS1 goes to the local elementary school to receive his services in a classroom environment (early childhood class).  It's a small class and there are about 6 teachers/therapists/etc. 

He also attends daycare a few days a week since this class is only 1/2 days and I work.  So I have a lot of gifts to buy (plus for the teachers that DS2 has in daycare).

I don't want to be cheap when it comes to DS1's actual school teachers though--as they have helped him tremendously and are amazing people.  I just have no idea what to get and what amount is appropriate.  I was thinking a gift card and a hand written thank you.  What denomination of gift cards are you giving, if you are giving them. 

Re: If your LO is in "school" for their services--- need gift ideas

• I struggle with this every year- I'm in the exact situation you're in except instead of daycare, he goes to another private SN preschool when he's not in his public early childhood preschool. And at the SN preschool he splits his time between an ASD preschool room and an inclusive preschool room. SO- this adds up to 4 primary teachers, 5 therapists, and more aides and bus drivers than I probably know the names of. Last year I had 9 to buy for which included 4 primary teachers. I got each primary teacher a $25 Target gift card and everyone else I gave a $5 food item (a locally made wild rice package). By "bump" standards I think that I gave pretty low. I felt pretty bad about it- but I couldn't convince DH to spring for more. I was surprised that I didn't receive a single thank you card last year.. which makes me more hesitant this year only because I wonder if this particular school doesn't do gifts? But I know I'll at least continue giving at least $25 gift cards to the teachers he spends the most time with each week.
  • I am in contact with the other parents at Nate's school where he goes 2x a week. We took up a collection and bought a VISA card for the Family Ed department and told them to use it for a lunch someday. We will probably do something similar again. One option would be a gift card for Panera, Starbucks or even a grocery store close to the school. I think 10-15 dollars is plenty for a gift card. MirandaH is way generous at 25!

I am sure the "bump standards" on teacher gifts would change if everyone else had as many therapists and specialty educators as our kids do. This is just one other area that comparison with the Mompetitors on this site will only make you feel bad.....

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • imageAssembly_Reqd:

I am sure the "bump standards" on teacher gifts would change if everyone else had as many therapists and specialty educators as our kids do. This is just one other area that comparison with the Mompetitors on this site will only make you feel bad.....

You just made my day! Thank you- well said!

• imageMirandaHobbes:
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

You just made my day! Thank you- well said!

it's true though.  Actually when I saw $25 I was like "ugh oh......" --I'd LOVE to do that but not sure we can afford it.  I have 6 teachers in his "school class"---and although 3 aren't completely active with him--there are three that are his primary and therapists.  Then he has 3 at daycare...and then DS2 has 2 at daycare.  Of all years for money to be tight.

You are so right.  For "normal" situations---and for those who are rolling in the bucks--great.  BUT not only do I have his "tools" to buy to help with sensory and speech but he has multiple severe food allergies so the food for that is insanely expensive.  BUT on the other hand---these teachers are doing things I could never do for him.  They are priceless.

• DS has only three teachers in his class and no baked goods allowed.. so I think I am going to give $10 gift cards to each of them.  His speech therapist that we see twice a month will get more ($20) plus home baked goodies since she works with him one on one and gives lots of extra help when needed.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DS has only three teachers in his class and no baked goods allowed.. so I think I am going to give $10 gift cards to each of them.  His speech therapist that we see twice a month will get more ($20) plus home baked goodies since she works with him one on one and gives lots of extra help when needed.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We have about 12 teachers and therapists to gift. We are going homemade, except for a few small things that I have picked up over the course of the year for certain teachers and therapists.

I come from a teacher family, and I honestly do not think any of us feel one way or another if we get or do not get gifts from families. I would feel awkward accepting gift cards or anything expensive from most of the kids I teach. I would not want to think of my students' families doing without so they could acknowledge me for doing the job I chose to do and enjoy.

And it would really make me feel bad if I thought a family felt that they needed to spend a lot on me so I would do an "extra good" job with their child. :(  

While I am at it, I will also say that, as a teacher, the best thing parents can do to make me feel appreciated is to supply me with a child who is clean, fed, well-rested, has manners, and brings his homework completed. That is worth so much more than a Starbucks card! ;) 

That's my .02, for what it is worth. ;) And my home-made gift is holiday hot fudge sauce, which they can eat with a spoon, pour over ice cream, re-gift, or toss out with a smile. It's the thought that counts, and that is what we can afford. :)

• I have 11 on my list, a mixture of teachers and therapists as well as a few people from his pediatricians office. What I do is buy little gifts throughout the year, stuff that are on some ridiculous clearance. For example I bought a coffee cup a few months back that says "world's best teacher" I paid twenty cents for it. His two teachers at his preschool is what I was stuck on and I am happy to know that $25 is not too cheap for a gift card for his teachers I really want to do this because I have been blessed with an awesome team for DS.
  • I am a physical therapist working in a special needs elementary school.  I can tell you with all honesty that although I appreciate "gifts" what I love more is a heartfelt thank you note.  It means SO much more to me if a parent spends a few minutes writing some kinds words on paper.  As much as you all are thankful for your children's teachers/therapists, you should also know how thankful we are to have the opportunity to work with your child.  I love my job and it's a priviledge to get to watch my kiddos attain new skills.  Sorry for butting in!!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"