Military Families

Does Tricare cover the 17P (hydroxyprogesterone) shots?

I'm on standard and newly pregnant. I'm calling an OB and MFM tomorrow to make appointments.

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does Tricare cover the 17P (hydroxyprogesterone) shots?

• I'm not sure if they will cover the shot but they will cover the suppositories which are the next best thing.
    3 Early Miscarriages 4 rounds of Clomid BFP = 11/16/10 ~ EDD July 29th 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Is that similar to Progesterone in Oil? If so, yes..

Even better, they cover suppositories! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes.

I have Tricare Standard and took 17P shots from 16-36 weeks with my son.  They covered it no questions asked.  Just FYI, my MFM used a local compounding pharmacy for the 17P (this was before Makena and the whole fiasco with KV Pharmaceutical).  The FDA has not outlawed compounding pharmacies from making 17P.  My point is, I don't know if Tricare covers the very expensive Makena version of 17P but I know they cover the stuff that has been made by reputable compounding pharmacies for years.  Talk to your MFM or OB about where they get their 17P and then have their billing people confirm with Tricare.  If your MFM prescribes Makena and Tricare declines, ask them to prescribe it through a local pharmacy and you should be good to go.

Suppositories are not the same thing as 17P.  17P isn't exactly the same thing as PIO either. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"