Rhode Island Babies

W&I vs. Kent

I'm just looking for peoples thoughts about the two hospitals for delivery. I live in Cumberland so I assumed I would go to the hospital that is close to home but I have just heard that my doctor whom I love is now only doing Kent deliverys. What's your thoughts?

Re: W&I vs. Kent

• I'm due in may do i don't have a personal experience yet but I have a lot of friends who have recently had babies at both hospitals.  My doc delivers at Kent and I 'm excited about it.  Kent's rooms are bigger and if your babies father is staying with you he will have his own bed.  At women and infants the rooms are smaller and the father gets a chair.  The maternity wing is also very nice at Kent and they offer classes just like W&I does.

• My DD#1 and #2 were both born at W&I....however, I am switching OB practices and the new OB delivers at Kent, so #3 will be born at Kent.

W&I was great for me, as a patient. However, for your husband/partner, it is not. My poor DH barely slept a wink while we were there, we had to beg/borrow/steal to get an xtra blanket and pillow.

To some it may not be a big deal....I had friends that said, "You're the patient, not him", However, I could not rest knowing he was so uncomfortable. I needed him to be rested, I was exhausted. Having 2 exhausted parents taking care of a newborn is torture!

My sister delivered 2 of her children at W&I and 2 at Kent.....she wishes she had all 4 at Kent.

Hope this helps?!

Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Good to know. This makes me feel a little better. Thanks girls!
  • I have yet to hear of a woman having a bad experience at Kent, but I have heard tons of mixed reviews about W&I. Some women love it, some women hate it, and just about all the dads hate it.

I had a wonderful experience at Kent and would do it again in a heartbeat. Recovery rooms have 2 beds and a chair, so there's a good place for Dad to sleep and lots of room for visitors. They have a lactation consultant (actually 2 now) on staff to help with breastfeeding if you need it. 

2 of my good "mom friends" now (that I met at the Kent breastfeeding support group) also had great experiences - one was an induction and epi, one was had a c-section, and I was a natural birth.

They have a NICU in case of problems. They also do the fancy dinner for 2 the day (or two) after delivery like W&I.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it, I'd be happy to help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Go on a tour and ask as many questions as possible.  Everyone's experience is different.
  • W&I is the most amazing, well run operation. BOTH my husband and myself loved it there. We had been to Tufts / New England Medical before and W&I was by far better. I ended up having to have an emergency c-section and it was because of the focus, dedication and determination that our baby was delivered successfully and healthy. Yes, there is a chair for the dad (rather than a bed like at Kent) but it's a comfy recliner and the nurses brought both of us warm blankets all night. They made the entirety of our stay very comfortable!
  • I went to kent in my last pregnancy. I was 22w3 days when I went into labor and all their docs and nurses went into a frenzy. The doc came in gave me shots and never told me what they were, then would leave the room and discuss stuff out there. Then when he came back he had decided that they couldn't deal with me there and had called and ambulance to take to women and infants. I didn't find out till the ambulance ride after bothering the nurse, that I was dilated almost 5cm.

Women and Infants was BEAUTIFUL and I will be delivering there, hopefully at their alternative birthing center. The nurses were so calm, gentle and understanding. They allowed me to have people come to the room and visit, came in to talk to me and help me understand my situation and allowed me to spend a long time with my son after he was born and had passed away. MFM was awesome too, we had follow ups and all the staff that had worked with us, sent us a sympathy card to our home. I would recommend them over Kent for sure!!!

married 9/2010
    DS1 11/2010 (angel)
    DS2 5/2012
    DS3 4/2015
    New baby 6/2020
  • imagepnkfaerie:

I went to kent in my last pregnancy. I was 22w3 days when I went into labor and all their docs and nurses went into a frenzy. The doc came in gave me shots and never told me what they were, then would leave the room and discuss stuff out there. Then when he came back he had decided that they couldn't deal with me there and had called and ambulance to take to women and infants. I didn't find out till the ambulance ride after bothering the nurse, that I was dilated almost 5cm.

Women and Infants was BEAUTIFUL and I will be delivering there, hopefully at their alternative birthing center. The nurses were so calm, gentle and understanding. They allowed me to have people come to the room and visit, came in to talk to me and help me understand my situation and allowed me to spend a long time with my son after he was born and had passed away. MFM was awesome too, we had follow ups and all the staff that had worked with us, sent us a sympathy card to our home. I would recommend them over Kent for sure!!!

First, I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish you lots of luck with your pregnancy!

And second, despite my love of Kent, I can also agree with this rec. W&I does have a NICU 1 level up from Kent, and are absolutely the place to deliver if you go into labor early. If I was high-risk, I would definitely go to W&I. Definitely something to consider.

#3 Due April 2016
  • I think if at any point I was told I was high risk or if something was not going smooth I would want to go to W & I as well.

Thank you for your input girls. I still have my concerns and not yet fully confident in Kent yey but getting there.

• My first son was at W&I and my second son was Kent.  I have to say that Kent was so much better.   W&I is simply a baby factory.  The nurses always seem too busy to provide good one on one care.  At Kent, you were the priority.  Whatever I needed, they provided asap.  They were very caring. 

BabyFruit Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I had my daughter at Kent and they were amazing!  The nurses were phenomenal!  The nurse I had was off at 11pm, but stayed to support me until 3am when my daughter was born!  Private bathrooms in L&D and in the rooms (W&I you have to share).  Hubby had his own bed and they fed him. 
  • imagejmdallacosta:

My first son was at W&I and my second son was Kent.  I have to say that Kent was so much better.   W&I is simply a baby factory.  The nurses always seem too busy to provide good one on one care.  At Kent, you were the priority.  Whatever I needed, they provided asap.  They were very caring. 

I've heard that many times even from nurses. I had both mine at Kent and they were wonderful both times.With my first I went into PTL at 28 weeks Kent was on top of things there and stopped my labor.

I do agree WI is the place though if you have a preemie or high risk. Kent can handle preemies but like AmyRI said WI is a better equipped NICU

pnkfaerie- I'm so sorry you went through that. I wish you the best  with your pregnancy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"