Secondary IF
Options

End Of Road: Options...

Hi Ladies,

I know some of us are near the end of the road with the 2IF journey, or have thought about it.  How many of you are going to "prevent" vs just not actively "try", after the end of the road is reached?  If you are going to "prevent", have you made a decision as to how?

We have always known we'd prevent once we were done.  It's just too hard wondering, not knowing - my mind needs the relief of knowing for sure I will not become pregnant.  We were going to go with a vasectomy, but with the PCOS, my RE is recommending hormonal control, preferably an IUD to reduce risk of uterine cancer, which is a problem without regular cycles.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I get psycho on the pill, even low dose, and I'd prefer to not put anything in my body, especially with a constant drug stream, but I'd also prefer to not get cancer.  Decisions, decisions.

Doriimage
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!

Re: End Of Road: Options...

• Options
    We stoped TTC this month...  We aren't preventing but, not activley TTC either any more.  I have OBGYN apt on Friday and I was actually thinking of asking her to put me on the pill for one or two months to see if it would help but, afte that were done.  It's been 4 years of testing and drugs and surgrey with only a break for the 7 months I was pg with lo ( I had him 10 weeks ealry) and we imediatley started to ttc again after we brough Lo home knowing we would have a hard time again.  
    10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....
  • Options

I don't think we'll ever prevent. We never have (we were ready for kids as soon as we got married,and ready for another one soon after DS was born, breastfeeding did hold off AF for ten months if you count that as birth control). We keep setting deadlines for when we will quit "trying". Our latest deadline was supposed to January (1 year after my m/c) but we've already decided that we're not *quite* ready to give up yet. Maybe next summer...or if we ever get a baby through adoption we will quit TTC at least for awhile.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been trying to figure this one out too. We are going to go through with the four IUIs that our insurance will cover, but if we don't get pregnant we are done actively TTC. But after three years of trying it seems so weird to do anything to prevent pregnancy.

Part of me would like to do something so I'm not always so hopeful every month, but another part of me isn't sure I can do it.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    It hurts my heart that you, or any of us, even have to think or consider this. Crying

I can speak to having an IUD. After my DD was born, I opted to get the Mirena because I was too out-of-it forgetful to try and go back on the pill. DD was a difficult baby and I was scared I'd forget a pill and get pregnant too soon (HA!). If only I knew then what I know now .. Anyways. The Mirena did not help my PCOS; it sure did let it run rampant. It allowed the cysts to grow, something that wouldn't have happened on BCP. That's how we even found out I had PCOS because it reared its ugly head after not being controlled by BCP. Is that a concern of your Drs? If you don't have a problem with cysts, and just need to prevent cancer, then I'd say go for it. I too was terrified of having a foreign object in my body, but I came to peace with it, and once I had it, it was a relief to have a "worry free" option that had ZERO side effects.
    7/09 miracle DD born
    3/11 DX: lean PCOS/anovulatory
    9/11 ovarian drilling to remove cysts + 5mg Femara = BFN
    10/11 5 mg Femara again = BFP, ectopic pregnancy at 5w4d
    11/11 diagnosed with breast cancer
    12/11 bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction
    http://annefightsback.blogspot.com
    Dori
    "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming"
  • Options
    We have pretty much gotten there, we can't do anything other than just clomid because our only problem is I dont O on my own. There aren't any other drs in our area for any more tests/information/treatment. Being as young as I am we wont prevent and just pray for a miracle for awhile longer while not actively trying (if I can let go) but only for a couple more years then we will prevent.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

My journey hasn't been as long as some of you ladies but lately I think about this question too after 15 months I am getting to my breaking point mentally.

At first I thought we would definitely prevent because I can't deal with the unknown or the constant thought that I might be pregnant.

Then I learned that a friend that had their first child through IVF was pregnant again naturally (this is after trying IVF for a second with no luck) so that made me believe again that anything is possible. 

So I guess I am torn, but I don't think I would prevent for a while.  I don't want to have a newborn when DD is 10 so I think as time goes on I would get to a point that we would prevent.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I hate that this even has to be a decision for any of us. We start not actively trying in January. I have to stick to it because I need my life to revolve around everything else and not my cycle.

If we don't get pregnant by my birthday next December, I have agreed that dh could get a vasectomy. I honestly don't know why he needs one...I mean, over 2 years of well timed sex and I can't get pregnant. But whatever...

My Little
  • Options

Whenever we come to the end of the road, we will have to actively prevent - because we seem to be able to get pregnant fairly easily and I can not face the reality of living with miscarriage after miscarriage.  I will probably use an IUD.  Neither of us care for condoms and hormonal birth control has never suited me well. 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Options
    I wouldn't ever prevent if my family wasn't complete.  If you're irregular, you kind of forget about it, anyway.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    TTC since 6/02 (age 22) K/U instantly despite no AF for 5 months--preemie baby boy 1/03
    M/C 11/04 - M/C 05 - M/C 06 - BFP 2/08--fullterm baby girl 10/08 - M/C 4/11 - went to RE at age 31
    DX: crappy quality & infrequent ovulation, mild MFI
    Stimmed cycle #1 C/P 7/11 - Stimmed cycle #2 C/P 8/11 - Stimmed cycle #4 C/P 10/11
    On Stimmed Cycle #5
    Always thought I'd be a "mom of many"--now just hoping to be a "mom of one or two more!"
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you are at the point of thinking about this. I don't think I could ever prevent as long as I'm still wanting a sibling for DS as much as I am.  But I will say that I am a crazy psycho person on any hormonal BC, no matter what kind.  And I loved my IUD that I had after DS was born.  I had the copper kind, not the hormonal kind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"