Georgia Babies

Cavities

Who's been holding on to that Mother of Year trophy?  Hand it over.  I'm 99% sure that Gavin has at least 2 cavities.  Maybe more.  As in I can SEE them on his back teeth!  DH and I make him brush his teeth and we help him too but clearly we haven't been getting the job done.  And flossing?  I DREAD it.  Well, I guess the joke's on us.  Remember that I got confused about when he was supposed to go back for a check up?  I thought it was 4 years- not 3.  So we didn't put him on our dental insurance this year.  And now with 1 month to go in the year we are probably going to be out A LOT of money to get this fixed.  Anyone know how much this will be?  Crappity crap crap.  I'm very anxious about how this is going to go.  Gavin will hardly let me look in his mouth and he's not that cooperative with the Dr so how the heck do they handle this?  Will they give him gas or just novacaine?  Wow, I feel really sucky right now.

Re: Cavities

• We go on Wed and I have a feeling that Alec may have one too.  Just wanted to say that if you have an FSA plan, you can pay for it tax-free.

Also, we had sealants put on Alec's teeth to help prevent cavities--not sure if we prevented in time though  I had them when I was little and they really helped.  I think we paid $100 for them.

• I forgot about those sealants.  I had those on when I was a kid too.

There is a 4 year old in my class who had 9.  He has had to go 4 different trips (I lost track, may have been 5 trips?) to get them worked on.  He has been ok with sitting.  His mom said they were given the choice and could have knocked him out to get it all over with at once. 

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Jack had two cavities filled last week, and he did fantastic.  Seriously he was in the chair for 20 minutes and they filled both of them (they had planned to only do one, and then make another appointment for the other but she said he was doing so great she was able to just pop over and do the second one while she was in there). He is NOT a calm child by nature, but it was seriously no big deal for him.  Sorry about the money part though, that sucks :( 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • imageUGAbride:
    Jack had two cavities filled last week, and he did fantastic.  Seriously he was in the chair for 20 minutes and they filled both of them (they had planned to only do one, and then make another appointment for the other but she said he was doing so great she was able to just pop over and do the second one while she was in there). He is NOT a calm child by nature, but it was seriously no big deal for him.  Sorry about the money part though, that sucks :( 

OK, this is good to hear.  I just finished brushing/flossing his teeth and the spot is definitely not as bad as I first thought. He must have had some food or something on there earlier b/c now I can only see a tiny brownish spot right in the center of one tooth. Still need to get it checked but I don't feel nearly so urgent now.  I'm just so paranoid b/c my niece had to have emergency oral surgery when she was like 5 or 6 b/c her teeth were so rotten below the surface and her parents didn't know until she spiked a high fever! 

• Is he in pain? I would wait and have them dealt with in January. These are baby teeth so they will fall out eventually. Sorry cus I dread this. I am all over the kids about their teeth. I barely give them juice or fruit snacks! I throw all laffy taffy away! I have a ton of cavities and crowns! I also had them seal the kids teeth, but not until they turn 7. Not sure why that age? Seems to be what my dentist does. If you are worried about waiting. Call the dentist and ask what will happen if you wait! I am sorry you are going through this!
  • let the dentist observe and see if you can wait until Jan.  You may have a little time to play with.
  • I have lost track with how many cavities Elliott has had. He hates the dentist but we finally found one that he is able to tolerate and that tolerates him. He cries and screams but then calms down.

We actually go tomorrow to get more filled. In total this will be a 3 trip visit. Now on the other hand Allison is horrible at brushing her teeth and has had no cavities. The dentist said he does not think Elliott produces enough saliva to help keep the bacteria away. Not sure how true that is but we are on him about brushing and it seems to do nothing.

Good luck!

• I worry about this too. So far DD has only been to the dentist once. They were pushing hard for us to do sealant on her baby teeth. Insurance won't cover it at all. I think it was going to be something like $300 or more though. I can't help but wonder if I'm being scammed or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageauburnbride2be:
    I worry about this too. So far DD has only been to the dentist once. They were pushing hard for us to do sealant on her baby teeth. Insurance won't cover it at all. I think it was going to be something like $300 or more though. I can't help but wonder if I'm being scammed or not.

That seems really high for sealants.  We see Dr. Eaton off LaVista and he was a lot less. The quote for the sealant was half of what a cavity would be to fill ---that is what made us do this on Alec's baby teeth.

• imageslwprincess:

imageUGAbride:
    Jack had two cavities filled last week, and he did fantastic.  Seriously he was in the chair for 20 minutes and they filled both of them (they had planned to only do one, and then make another appointment for the other but she said he was doing so great she was able to just pop over and do the second one while she was in there). He is NOT a calm child by nature, but it was seriously no big deal for him.  Sorry about the money part though, that sucks :( 

OK, this is good to hear.  I just finished brushing/flossing his teeth and the spot is definitely not as bad as I first thought. He must have had some food or something on there earlier b/c now I can only see a tiny brownish spot right in the center of one tooth. Still need to get it checked but I don't feel nearly so urgent now.  I'm just so paranoid b/c my niece had to have emergency oral surgery when she was like 5 or 6 b/c her teeth were so rotten below the surface and her parents didn't know until she spiked a high fever! 

At the beginning of this year, I was sure Evie had a cavity.  I thought I saw a brown spot and she kept saying her tooth hurt.  So I took her and she did not.  Also, for as much of a pain she is at the doctors office, she is remarkably calm for the dentist.  

• imageMelliebugs:
    Is he in pain? I would wait and have them dealt with in January. These are baby teeth so they will fall out eventually. Sorry cus I dread this. I am all over the kids about their teeth. I barely give them juice or fruit snacks! I throw all laffy taffy away! I have a ton of cavities and crowns! I also had them seal the kids teeth, but not until they turn 7. Not sure why that age? Seems to be what my dentist does. If you are worried about waiting. Call the dentist and ask what will happen if you wait! I am sorry you are going through this!

This. I would try to wait until Jan if you can.  What could possibly happen in a month?  Just make sure you are really good about brushing this month and they shouldn't get any worse until you can have them filled.  Good luck! 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"