VBAC

Not sure about OB

DH loves him and thinks that he will be supportive. DH also thinks I would find a reason to uncomfortable with anyone. Lol. Anyway, this doctor does them, but doesn't like to go past 40 weeks with ANY of his patients. Let me explain...He worked in an area where somehow when the other OBs had an extreme cases (I.e. No fetal movement, severe complications, etc.) they sent them to him to deliver. So he's seen a lot of bad cases that were past 40 weeks. I know he's just being cautious because he hasn't had a typical caseload. He has said that he won't schedule a RCS for me before 40, and he went ahead and "gave" me some extra days on my EDD ( dates from LMP were off from dating ultrasound, and from charting some I knew the u/s was right). He said that a fingertip dilation at 36 weeks wasn't that great (that's where I was with DD). And that his patients are usually begging for a section by 40 weeks. He jokingly said that if I came to live with him at 40 weeks, we'd be good. I almost said "done!" Anyway, I really like him, and if I keep the blood pressure and weight under control, I think I can push him. My only concern is this...can he drop me at 40 weeks? I know I can refuse a section, but can he refuse to care for me? I know it's early, I just want to know what the possibilities are.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not sure about OB

• Oh dear. I did make paragraphs; they just didn't show up. Sorry.
  • I am concerned with any provider that puts a blanket limit on people.  Why do all of the terrible cases get sent to him?  That would be enough to make any doctor crazy, IMO.  Since the average pregnancy is over 40 weeks and the latest research has suggested that the last week or so of pregnancy is very important, I wouldn't want to cut a healthy pregnancy short for no reason.

For ME, I wouldn't be comfortable with this guy. He seems that he would be a fear monger and to quick to c/s someone (for good reason if he gets all of the "bad" cases).  I would prefer someone who sees each patient as a different case and healthy until otherwise determined.

But this is up to you and your DH.  What this doctor is not the norm, so you need to weigh your options.  Maybe interview other providers and then decide?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • The bad cases that were sent to him were early in his career. This doesn't seem to be the case now. I was worried about the limit, too, but the only better recommendation I got was an OB that goes to 41. But it was going to be a couple months before I could get in with her. I really think docs in my area are really induction/section happy. It's Arkansas.
  • it sounds like all the local OB's treat him as the high risk Dr. Poor guy. But anyway, even if he is, he needs to go one person at a time. if he wont give you 41 weeks, when thats what you sound like you want... find another Dr.

As to refusing to treat you at 40 weeks, I doubt it. Most Dr's wont refuse to treat unless you either A~ dont pay them or B~ are incredibly obnoxious and wont listen to anything they say, or follow safety precautions. I doubt you wanting a few extra days would put you in the B catagory.

Besides, if you show up at the hospital in labor, there are certainly other Dr's on staff to handle you.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • I *believe* I read that a provider has to give you 30 days notice before dropping you as a patient. So, unless you plan to go to 44 weeks... Stick out tongue

He doesn't sound particularly VBAC supportive. But, if he's your best option, he doesn't sound awful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The only reason I believe they would drop you as a patient is if they had some type of agreement with the hospital not to go past 40 weeks with a VBAC.  You can always push him now and see what his response is. 

To me, it sounds like he's using humor/goodwill to distract you from the fact that you're not getting good, clear answers.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"