May 2011 Moms

Qs for the sleep training experts...

I started sleep training DS a little over a week ago, I was amazed that by the third night it was a dream, he was falling asleep on his own, even in the middle of the night, and only waking to nurse twice a night, as opposed to every hour as it was before. After that it's been up and down, some good nights, some, more crying that I'm comfortable with, and I know in some occasion I have undone my own work.

Seeing how some nights are a breeze but others not so much has me wondering,

1) how do I now he doesn't need something else, hence the crying, like maybe he needs to burp, or has gas pains, or he is still hungry or wet (I felt so bad one night I let him cry for like 15 min and I checked him he was soaked! he had leaked out of the CD--an ongoing issue).

2) Since his problem was associating the boob/my arms with sleep some nights he still falls asleep at the boob and even though I try to do the sleep sack after as a last step in order to place him in his pnp awake, sometimes it's hard to wake him up so I end up putting him down almost asleep not awake enoughfor him to realize he's being moved.

Thanks ladies!

Re: Qs for the sleep training experts...

• I'm not an expert, but I read Ferber pretty well, so I can answer some questions related to his method. What sort of sleep training are you doing? If you're doing Ferber, then at the check-ins you could make sure that there are no other issues (burping, wet diaper, etc). Otherwise, I'd say just try to go with your feel for his different cries.

Also, I've also found it to be nearly impossible to wake her up when she wants to sleep (it is of course equally difficult to get her to sleep when she wants to be awake...). I'd say as long as he's drowsy but not fully asleep when you put him down that that should be ok. What is your feeling - does he wake up fussing more on the nights when you put him down that drowsy? If not, then I don't see a problem with it.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"