Military Families

Multi vitamins?

I know that the military will give the mother prenatal pills, but will they give the H a multivitamin? I have heard that having the H on one can increase chances during TTC. Anyone have any experience in this?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Multi vitamins?

• I think a number of OBs offer pregnant women prenatals as it's in the best in interest of the child, but I can't imagine any type of doctor or pharmacist giving a grown man multivitmins. Just curious-Is there a reason you can't just pick up a bottle of vitamins for YH if you want him to take them?
  • He can talk to his PCM about a prescription, but it would be far easier to pick up a bottle at the supermarket.
  • Loading the player...
  • I only bring it up bc part of the reintegration process (we got back from iraq this week) is to sit down with a PA. He is going to ask but I am wondering if anyone has done it 

• imageJoie80:
    I think a number of OBs offer pregnant women prenatals as it's in the best in interest of the child, but I can't imagine any type of doctor or pharmacist giving a grown man multivitmins. Just curious-Is there a reason you can't just pick up a bottle of vitamins for YH if you want him to take them?

Well I think It is in the best interest of the military to ensure they have healthy service members and vitamins will help just that. I have seen it happen for women so I am curious if it will apply to the men too 

• I highly doubt it.....When I went in for my first pre natal appt. the nurse found out I was taking B6, which I paid for out of pocket, and told me since I'm pregnant now and B6 is known to help with m/s that they would pay for it.  BUT if I wasn't pregnant they wouldn't pay for it.

They only pay for something if you "really" need it like medicine if you were sick.  Since Multi Vitamins aren't a necessity they won't pay for it.

• I'm a former Air Force pharmacist.  Multivitamins will not be covered at a retail pharmacy.  Some MTFs may have multivitamins on formulary, but they have been moving away from that in the past few years.  My MTF deleted them back in 2008.  They still had prenatal vitamins, but Tricare limits those to women <45. 

Just pick up some vitamins for him at any pharmacy.  With a quick Google search, I found several multivitamins that cost about $5/month. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image*HiS ChAmAoLe GiRL*:

imageJoie80:
    I think a number of OBs offer pregnant women prenatals as it's in the best in interest of the child, but I can't imagine any type of doctor or pharmacist giving a grown man multivitmins. Just curious-Is there a reason you can't just pick up a bottle of vitamins for YH if you want him to take them?

Well I think It is in the best interest of the military to ensure they have healthy service members and vitamins will help just that. I have seen it happen for women so I am curious if it will apply to the men too 

Unless your husband has a medical need for something, it's unlikely to be covered. Pregnant women need prenatals. Most adults can thrive without multivitamins.

• Thanks for your input everyone! I guess everywhere you go is different bc DH was able to get some from the military.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"