Parenting

Anyone take a Philosophy class in school? What did you think of it?

I'm taking it as a humanities that I need so I chose 101....

Re: Anyone take a Philosophy class in school? What did you think of it?

• I'm taking an ethics class right now, which falls into the realm of philosophy.  I think it is very interesting...for the most part.  My instructor is very good at playing devil's advocate and showing us all sides of an issues.  His tests are very difficult, though.
  • I did. We had to, it was part of the core. It was really awesome. The prof I had really made you think. My head would literally hurt after class from thinking so much. So many of my classes in college and HS were memorization just to test (even though supposedly gifted-college prep classes)- that it was truely a pleasure to have such a hard hitting class.

Read books that I would never had before. Thought through things I would never too.

For a 'fun break' the prof showed us the movie 'bladerunner' over 2 days- I skipped the 2nd day because the movie was too gross for me but I still 'got' why he showed it.

Didn't hurt that he was easy on the eyes. lol

• Loading the player...
  • imageEmiliana7:

Didn't hurt that he was easy on the eyes. lol

That NEVER hurts.  :)

• Philosophy was my very first college course my very first day of my very first semester of school... I was so in over my head, I thought my brain was going to explode. In hindsight, I just wasn't ready for that kind of existential thinking, but the class itself wasn't really hard. I personally preferred ethics... loved the different perspectives that came out during those discussions.
    When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us? ~Pam Brown
    Big Girl 2.7.06 ~ Baby Girl 9.2.07
    image7_0002
  • I didn't like it at all, loved my religion class (major religions of the world) though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Take it.  You won't regret it.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I really enjoyed Philosophy. One of my favorite electives, actually.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only took a Philosophy class in Logic. It was challenging, but I learned a lot. I worked in the Philosophy dept. as a student assistant all 4 years of college and sometimes the grad students and professors made me feel stupid b/c their conversations were so out there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think any 101 class would be tolerable.  I took more advanced courses in preparation for law school.  I loved the logic, ethics, and political philosophy classes.  I loathed the existential/absurdist classes.  I still don't understand why people are studying the musings of lonely men who sat around in pjs and wrote down every damn thought that crossed their minds.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • My only ever was 200 level & called environmental ethics. I thought it was interesting & not horribly difficult. Lots of reading & a couple papers. I don't recall the tests...it was 16 years ago.
  • I took Reasoning and Critical Thinking.  It sucked but was part of the core.  

The highlight of the class is when me and my BFF got drunk off of Mad Dog 20/20 Orange Jubbile, the night before the final (dumb) and her telling her paper to "be still" in the middle of the test.  Ha ha ha!  

Oh and I telling MH how much the class sucked and I busted my arse for a C (well besides the drunk night : ) .  He told me I "just can't critically and reasonably think" then took it and got a D!!!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took quite a few Philosophy courses as an undergrad and loved them.  I was a psych major though, so it was pretty close to what I was used to studying.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"