Birth Stories

Lawson Jay's med-free birth center birth--LONG with PIPs

My firstborn, a son, was born on November 17, 2011 at 4:39AM. He weighed 7lbs 6.5oz, was 20 inches long, and is the most perfect little person to ever come onto this earth. Here is our (rather long) story of his med-free birth center birth.

On Tuesday November 15 I  was told at my 37 week appointment to stop taking my Procardia which I?d been on to stop contractions. That afternoon, I noticed many contractions which intensified through Tuesday night. However, as soon as dawn broke on Wednesday, the contractions had all but gone away. Throughout the day on Wednesday, I noticed the contractions were getting more frequent but they were not painful so I ignored them as I had been instructed to. Around 8PM Wednesday night, I noticed the contractions were really starting to pick up in intensity and frequency. I ignored them for about another hour before I decided to get into the bath and drink a glass of wine to figure out if this could be the real deal. The contractions strengthened throughout my bath so I decided to get out and walk the neighborhood with my husband. We stayed within a hundred feet or so of our house and walked down the sidewalk and back a few times with me bracing on him for support during contractions. I felt very relaxed and at ease during all of this. However, we had to cut our walk short because severe thunderstorms were moving in and the warnings said to stay inside in case of hail or tornadoes.

We went back into our house and I sat on the floor in front of the couch with my head resting on the seat of the couch. I turned on some music to try and distract myself. I listened to piano sonatas and horn concertos. After that, I decided to go lay in bed on my side to try to stay as relaxed as possible. A little after 11PM my husband was timing my contractions and they were coming 2-3 minutes apart and were 60-75 seconds in duration so we called the midwife. We agreed to meet her at the birth center around midnight. At this point I was having trouble standing up and was walking around the house clutching the nearest couch, counter, table..whatever I could get my hands on to brace me. I went into the nursery and laid on the floor and just looked around to give me some motivation. My husband finished packing up our stuff and we got into the car and headed towards the birth center. At this point it was extremely stormy out and pouring rain. Even though the birth center is only about 10 minutes from our house it seemed like an eternity having to sit through it in the car, all the while wondering ?is this really it?? When we got to the birth center the midwife told me ?Oh I can tell you?re in real labor.? I honestly couldn?t wait to get checked to see where I was progressed to. She checked me and I was at 7cm dilated. I got so excited knowing I was going to have my baby that night.

I had a few contractions on the bed in the birthing center, but when the tub was finished filling I decided I wanted to get in. I got in the tub and it was amazing for relief of my contractions. I stayed in there for about a half hour of what I still would consider ?easy labor? as I could breathe or moan through the contractions and between them get a nice break. She checked me again about an hour after entering the tub and I was at 9 and ? centimeters, almost ready to push. She told me to push if I felt the urge to. I was having a really hard time learning how to push in the tub, so my midwife suggested I get out and try laying on the bed.

On that bed is where I hit ?the wall.? At this point, my back labor was so bad there were no breaks. It was a constant stabbing feeling in my lower back and butt. I kept having feelings of self doubt, I just wanted it to be over, I was wondering how much longer, and at one point I asked if I could just quit and go home. Of course that wasn?t an option so I tried to push for awhile longer on the bed with no success.

After that, the midwife suggested I try to learn how to push on the toilet, since that?s a natural pushing position for first timers. I got to the toilet and after a few contractions finally learned how to effectively push. She had me reach down and touch my baby?s head in the birth canal which gave me a huge push over ?the wall? I?d hit earlier while on the bed. As my midwife was telling me positive affirmations, I finally started to believe her that I could do this and I could push my baby out. She also gave me some herbal tinctures to help keep my energy up. These were a lifesaver. My midwife then asked if she could break my water as she felt that would speed things along. Boy, was she right! She broke my water and about 5 minutes later asked me to move to the birthing stool right next to the bed. She asked the nurse there with her if she could hand her the delivery kit which was so surreal. I remember being in disbelief that I was finally that close. The birthing stool was really great for pushing. Crowning was barely painful at all, at least nothing compared to the back labor I?d been having. After one particularly good push, the midwife and nurse told me next push I?d deliver the head. With the next contraction I beared down with all my might, looked down, saw my son?s head out, and pushed like I?d never pushed before to get the rest of him out. The midwife put him in my arms and I was completely in awe and instant love with him.

After a few moments of sitting there admiring him on the stool, we got on the bed and admired him some more. After a few minutes of that, my husband cut the cord, and I delivered the placenta. The midwife told me that I didn?t tear at all which I was absolutely ecstatic about.

For me, having a natural childbirth is definitely one of the high moments of my life. Believe it or not, I liked feeling and participating in the entire experience. It?s not for everyone, but pushing my baby out and the indescribable high afterwards was worth the pain of every contraction. When I do this again (God willing), I?ll try for the same med-free experience as it was the most amazing roller coaster ride of my life.

imageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker
Breastfeeding and pregnant!

Re: Lawson Jay's med-free birth center birth--LONG with PIPs

• Amazing! Very nice name too!

• GREAT story!  Thank you for sharing.  Lawson is BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That is awesome- What a great experience!  Congratulations on your precious little boy!
  • SmileOMGoodness! Congratulations- your little one is beautiful. First, I'd like to say that your birth story has been the first to make me cry!! Second, I pray to God that I have a delivery as amazing as yours! Third, did you take classes or anything? Or was distraction, relaxation, and breathing your technique? I have always wanted a natural birth and as I can't travel 100 miles to the nearest classes I've been doing as much research as I can to prepare myself. It sounds like you did amazing and I am so glad you had the experience you wanted! Congrats again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageTauntyCupcake:
    SmileOMGoodness! Congratulations- your little one is beautiful. First, I'd like to say that your birth story has been the first to make me cry!! Second, I pray to God that I have a delivery as amazing as yours! Third, did you take classes or anything? Or was distraction, relaxation, and breathing your technique? I have always wanted a natural birth and as I can't travel 100 miles to the nearest classes I've been doing as much research as I can to prepare myself. It sounds like you did amazing and I am so glad you had the experience you wanted! Congrats again.

Thank you! No, I didn't take any classes. I read articles on the internet about the stages of labor so I knew a bit what to expect. I also read a lot of birth stories on here which really helped me understand there is a wide variation in the progression of labor (if that makes sense). Not to try and scare you, but when I hit "the wall" I couldn't think of anything. I think for me personally a class wouldn't have helped me there. Up until I was 9cm, I was able to focus on staying limp and breathing through them as best as I could.  I think having a provider who was an amazing support did more than a class ever could for me. 

imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Congratulations! I loved reading your birth story.  He is absolutely beautiful and perfect! So glad you had such a great experience. 
  • Most people dont even know to try to stay limp, so that is amazing in and of itsself. But this sounds like a textbook Bradley birth! You go girl! He is PRECIOUS!
  • What a wonderful birth story.  He is such a cutie.
  • Thanks everyone Smile
    imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Wonderful job!
  • Congrats!  I hope mine goes just as well as yours!

What "herbal tinctures" did your midwife give you, do you know?

• What a beautiful story and baby! :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageduelingsith:

Congrats!  I hope mine goes just as well as yours!

What "herbal tinctures" did your midwife give you, do you know?

No clue, sorry. They tasted pretty gross but I swigged Powerade after them. 

imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"