November 2011 Moms

Question about breastfeeding and alcohol

I posted before how my boy is in the NICU, he still is, gets out Friday. I've been pumping breastmilk for him, but he also has formula. Since I've been going going going  for a week now DH and I decided it was time for me to take a break and celebrate the birth of our son. Tonight I'm going to have a long island iced tea and I'm just wondering how long I have to pump and dump afterwards. Is it just until tomorrow or for a few days? Now before anyone says 1 long island iced tea won't hurt (if anyone would say that, I don't know,) I'm a super lightweight and 1 long island usually gets me pretty tipsy, let alone after not drinking for almost a year. I appreciate any advice. I don't want to dump more than I have to.

Re: Question about breastfeeding and alcohol

• My breastfeeding teacher said it takes 1 hour per drink to metabolize out of your breastmilk - such as a normal size glass of wine. She said the 'pump and dump' is not necessary. Once the alcohol is out of your system, it's out of your breast milk. Don't throw away breast milk! Unless one long island iced tea has you totally smashed, I would say it's safe to feed your baby within a couple hours. If you were already planning on waiting until the next day then you're golden. Enjoy your cocktail! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• imagekatie0919:
    My breastfeeding teacher said it takes 1 hour per drink to metabolize out of your breastmilk - such as a normal size glass of wine. She said the 'pump and dump' is not necessary. Once the alcohol is out of your system, it's out of your breast milk. Don't throw away breast milk! Unless one long island iced tea has you totally smashed, I would say it's safe to feed your baby within a couple hours. If you were already planning on waiting until the next day then you're golden. Enjoy your cocktail! 

Thanks so much! I had assumed I'd have to dump at least 24 hours.

• Loading the player...
  • The only reason to pump and dump is if you need to pump while you are actually drunk.  Rule of thumb is that if you are ok to drive you are ok to breastfeed.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually pump right before I drink then wait about 2 hours after I've finished before pumping again. I typically just hwines glass of wine, but I don't see how 1 mixed drink would be any different. Don't dump!! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesmilelari:
    The only reason to pump and dump is if you need to pump while you are actually drunk.  Rule of thumb is that if you are ok to drive you are ok to breastfeed.

This!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Alcohol passes through your breastmilk like it does your bloodstream. It does not stay and hangout requiring you to dispose of it. You deserve a cocktail!!
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All of this.  Our lactation coach said one glass of wine, one beer, one drink is fine and you don't have to pump after that.  She said if you are going to partake in more for a party, wedding, or just a night you want a few drinks, pump the duration that you are feeling the alcohol and dump that, if even necessary.  Otherwise, like all other PPs said, you are fine.  ENJOY!  Drinks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"