3rd Trimester

those with/having a girl..

When will/did you have your baby's ears pierced?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: those with/having a girl..

• I think we will wait until DD is old enough to understand the responsibility behind the care of ear rings.  I didn't get mine done until I was 6, and I think I would wait until at least then.  Of course that is my own opinion. 
  • SO and I decided we are going to get LO ears pierced when she's 3 months old
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNicholeElise:
    I think we will wait until DD is old enough to understand the responsibility behind the care of ear rings.  I didn't get mine done until I was 6, and I think I would wait until at least then.  Of course that is my own opinion. 

This. We would also like for her to be able to care for her ears and not pull on them like babies often do.

• Maybe 3rd or 4th grade (if she wants them done). Definitely not as an infant/toddler. 
  • I haven't decided yet - my mom had mine done when I was rather small (Less than 8 months?)... It worked out well because I didn't mess with them (probably didn't even notice they were there really, after the initial piercing)....

I'll probably take grandma with us to get LO's done too :) I'm sure she would enjoy being there for it.

?Little Love of my Life?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We will do it for DD when she is 12, if she wants it done. 
  • imageNicholeElise:
    I think we will wait until DD is old enough to understand the responsibility behind the care of ear rings.  I didn't get mine done until I was 6, and I think I would wait until at least then.  Of course that is my own opinion. 

This is my opinion as well.  Not sure if 6 is the magic age for us or not, but like PP said, she needs to be old enough for the responsibility, plus I want her to be old enough to ask to have it done. 

• I was leaning towards around 9 months to a year old until I asked DH...he said we can talk about it when she's 18! Haha
  • We'll wait until she asks and we feel that she is old enough, ie, if she asked tomorrow we would say no. :P

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We aren't going to let DD get hers done until she's old enough to take care of them herself and make the conscious choice to have them or not.  I don't have mine done and it's one less thing to have to worry/think about...

OTOH, my SIL has a rule that they have to wait until their 8th b-day (i.e. old enough to take care of them)... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We decided to wait until she can ask to have them done and take care of them herself.  I'm concerned that DD will have the same issues I had with mine.  I had mine done at 11, they've never really healed.  I now have 3 sets of holes in my ear lobes and both tragi done.  I can not leave my earrings out overnight, they still ooze a bit, and can be very sensitive.  I don't want to have to deal with that or put an infant through that.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • My SD wants her's done now- she is 7 but we are hopefully waiting until at least 9.  There are times where she doesn't want to even brush her hair so until she can show us that she is ready, hopefully BM won't do it.

I got mine done at 9.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am leaning towards around 12. To me, getting your ears pierced is an entry into "teenworld", and I am not big on jewelry/makeup/etc on little girls.  
  • I will wait until she asks. If, at that stage, I think she is old enough to handle the responsibility, then she can have them done. I had mine done when I was 5, but I wasn't responsible enough at that age, because they ended up growing back together. I got them done again a year or 2 later. Much better age, in my opinion. But, I want it to be her choice to get her ears pierced or not. So, we will wait until she starts making her own decisions-they are her ears, not mine. 
  • We're waiting until she's old enough to make the decision for herself.  I don't really think it's appropriate to punch holes in her ears without her permission.
  • At about 3 months.
  • Probably around 3 months. I'm not sure yet though.
  • Our house rule is 12. I was 13 when I got mine done (not due to any rule my parents had or anything, I just was too scared), but I was glad they didn't do it when I was a baby. I liked making the decision myself and it was a special thing I did on my birthday. DH and I chose 12 because its that preteen birthday when we want to start giving our kids greater responsibility and it can be that special thing they get to do.
  • When she asks and I believe she is old enough to take care of them (with a little help).  Maybe 6-7
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • My daughter was 6 months old and it wasnt bad to clean and healed quickly. The earring are hard to change because they are so small, so thats the only bad thing but my daughter loves them and awws about them when she gets new one! She is 2 now
    BabyName Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • for me personally I think it looks strange to see them in infants but I do plan to get their ears pierced once they are around maybe 4 or so
  • imagehannahmariiie:
    SO and I decided we are going to get LO ears pierced when she's 3 months old

The sooner the better in my family. The older they get the more likely they will mess with them and get infected. As soon as they give me the thumbs up the baby will be pierced!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • When my daughters ask to have them pierced and we think they are old enough to take care of them. I would never do it to an infant. The aren't my ears so it shouldn't be my decision to punch a hole in them. Besides, I think it will be a fun mother/daughter thing to do someday.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We haven't discussed but we are both against getting a baby's ears pierced. I just think it look strange on babies.  I think I had mine done around 5 or 6 and that seemed to work out fine.

DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageNicholeElise:

I agree. I was 7. I feel like it should be a choice.  In my little sister's case my parents used it as a bargaining chip for good grades. Not a bad idea either.

• We did it at 3 months. Perfect timing IMO because she wasn't old enough to notice they were there and play with them. I took care of them well and they healed beautifully.
  • I would be OK with her getting them done when she is 7, that's how old I was.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • I pierced DD #1s ears at 2 months at the pedi office, I plan to do the same this time around. I had mine done as a baby too and I assure you I never held any resentment towards my mom for punching holes in my ears against my will, I actually think that's kind of a funny reason not to do it! There were never any issues with cleaning them, they healed right away and she has never messed with them or pulled or anything. To each their own :) 
    image image

• When she is old enough to ask for it and take care of it.
  • We're waiting until she's old enough to ask for it as well. We'll probably do it as a birthday or Christmas present for her once she starts asking. I was 9 when I first asked and got them done that holiday season as a part of my Christmas gifts and LOVED it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had my DD's done at 3-4 months. She never touched them, they healed great.  And she looks super cute with diamond studs :)
  • Not until she is old enough to ask for it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• As soon as we can, which is at 3 months. It's a big deal in my family for the girls to get their ears pierced and I can't wait! It's easier when they are smaller IMO. You just have to make sure they are on securely, they don't get infected, and that you don't allow her to wear heavy earrings as she grows up so she doesn't stretch out her earlobe. By the time babies even realize the earrings are there, they don't mess w/them as much as older childre do.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I didn't get mine pierced until I was in college. Definitely won't be doing it when she is an infant. But I don't have a hardline time/age either. Probably sometime over 7/8 years old.
  • Not sure.  My dad made me wait until I was 12 and I hated that!  I won't make my little girl wait.  If I don't have it done when she is little it will be when she asks.
  • I've debated thus cuz it's controversial like circumcision, think I've decided on when she is like 6 months. I had mine done at that age and all is well lol
  • our DD will get her ears pierced when she is old enough to ask and understand how to take care of them herself. (cleaning and care wise as they heal)

We are going the same route with LO.

Oh god, 2 girls......

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • 3 months.  You guys realize that for some people this is a completely cultural thing right?  I'm assuming you were asking the "american" ladies.  Ask a latino or indian family and you will rarely get an answer like "when she's old enough to take care of her ears."  Moms and other female family members (like aunts and grandmas) take care of their daughters pierced ears in our families. 

Ask me when I was allowed to shave my legs and that's a WHOLE other story! I was always so jealous of all the other girls who could shave their legs in 7th grade or something.  I think my mom didn't "let" me until 8th grade, but hey at least I had my ears pierced.

• I had mine done when I was 5. I asked for them so I will do the same for DD.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • I will be doing my daughters at three months, they really dont mess with them because they dont notice them, also I can take care of them better that a young child with dirty hands who forgets and will constantly touch them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"