Georgia Babies

I need an attitude adjustment.

We're "celebrating" Thanksgiving at my Aunts house tonight.  I'm irritated with the following people:  My Mother, my aunt, my grandmother, my dad and my husband.  I am having a really, really hard time shaking it off and getting my game face on today but I'm trying my damnedest (<----htf do you spell that?) because I don't want to be ye old proverbial turd in the punchbowl. 

Any words of wisdom or my-family-is-stupid-too-so-I-can-relate stories are appreciated!

Re: I need an attitude adjustment.

• Drink....and have one for me because I can't drink.

My parents are coming today and I should be over the moon excited as they live in NJ so we don't see them that often, but I already know my father is going to drive me up the wall (he's completely well meaning, just hyperactive, so I end up looking like the mean, hormonal, pregnant wildebeast).  He hasn't even done anything yet and I'm already irrationally annoyed with him, so I totally feel you.  Aren't holidays grand?  I liked it better when nobody came to visit and we couldn't travel because my husband worked retail, those were the days!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my Thanksgiving crowd tomorrow at my Mom's:

My sister, her boyfriend, her boyfriend's family including his lesbian sister, my sister's husband, his girlfriend with dreadlocks he met on match.com.

Somehow, I know I am going to inadvertently say/do something offensive bc all of those people are going to have their danders up.  

• Loading the player...
  • Oh I totally understand.  At least your family will all be there.  My family is as flakey as a box of cornflakes.  I was told last saturday i'd have eight people over.  Now my phone is ringing with people canceling.  I guess I should be thankful they are letting me know.  But I bought all this damn food! And at 7 months pregnant I have to plan in advance becuase my energy just isn't up to par for this bs.  And as crazy as they make me I'm resorting to bribery with apple pies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love your laundry list of people annoying you.  HA!

I find that wine makes my attitude better.  God knows my family can suck the life out of you as well.

• imageebearwife:

This is my Thanksgiving crowd tomorrow at my Mom's:

My sister, her boyfriend, her boyfriend's family including his lesbian sister, my sister's husband, his girlfriend with dreadlocks he met on match.com.

Somehow, I know I am going to inadvertently say/do something offensive bc all of those people are going to have their danders up.  

I am pretty sure that referring to someone as the lesbian sister is cause to get her all riled up.

Whose girlfriend with the dreadlocks? Your sister's husband? 

• imagefrlcb:
    imageebearwife:

I am pretty sure that referring to someone as the lesbian sister is cause to get her all riled up.

Not that anyone cares what I think but I am a little miffed they even needed to point out she is a lesbian in the first place.  As if I have never been around gay people before.  WTH?  My sister's boyfriend's mom called my mother all worried that it would be awkward and wondering what everyone's tolerance was.  Why?  Her family is the one making the BFD over her sexuality and making sure everyone knows.  I don't think my family goes around introducing me as straight and making sure everyone knows before I have dinner with them.

And yes my brother in law's girlfriend is the one with the dreadlocks.  Also I have never seen this woman before but for some reason it was important to my sister to point out that she had dreadlocks.  And that they met on match.com and that she has a PhD and a law degree.  So, good for her on all counts. I hope they informed HER that her boyfriend is still technically and legally MARRIED.  Which, I dunno about YOU, but I think it overshadows all the other elephants in the room by a long shot.

So in conclusion the lesbian and dreadlock particulars are ones that have been pointed out to me in advance of actually meeting these people as if that is what they are all about. Seems like I was gossiped to.

• imageebearwife:
    Not that anyone cares what I think but I am a little miffed they even needed to point out she is a lesbian in the first place.  As if I have never been around gay people before.  WTH?  My sister's boyfriend's mom called my mother all worried that it would be awkward and wondering what everyone's tolerance was.  Why?  Her family is the one making the BFD over her sexuality and making sure everyone knows.  I don't think my family goes around introducing me as straight and making sure everyone knows before I have dinner with them.

And yes my brother in law's girlfriend is the one with the dreadlocks.  Also I have never seen this woman before but for some reason it was important to my sister to point out that she had dreadlocks.  And that they met on match.com and that she has a PhD and a law degree.  So, good for her on all counts. I hope they informed HER that her boyfriend is still technically and legally MARRIED.  Which, I dunno about YOU, but I think it overshadows all the other elephants in the room by a long shot.

So in conclusion the lesbian and dreadlock particulars are ones that have been pointed out to me in advance of actually meeting these people as if that is what they are all about. Seems like I was gossiped to.

My dear, you need a drink!

So your married sister is bringing her boyfriend and her "soon to be ex" will be there as well with his new girlfriend? or is this another sister?

I really hope Thanksgiving dinner goes smoothly for you.

• imageRoci26:
    imageebearwife:

My dear, you need a drink!

So your married sister is bringing her boyfriend and her "soon to be ex" will be there as well with his new girlfriend? or is this another sister?

I really hope Thanksgiving dinner goes smoothly for you.

You were right the first time.  Its one of those "recession" divorces where they would probably be divorced if it was financially possible and they love to be so much more "evolved" than everybody else and pretend that their marital status doesn't really mean much.  Its weird.  Not only that but with the exception of the dreadlocks my BIL and sister are dating clones of each other.  Money says the dreadlocks disappear at some point and new gf goes power blonde.  You cannot tell my BIL and my sister's boyfriend apart from a distance or if you are drunk.

• imageebearwife:
    imagefrlcb:
    imageebearwife:

Holy cow. Bring wine. Lots of wine. 

• Wow.  Everyone. Wine.  Lots of it.  Martha, give us a recap on Friday, please. 

Its just my family of four this year and my best friend and her family.  So since half of our group is 4 and under, I'm really only cooking for 4 adults.  I still have lots of wine, champagne and beer to get through it.  And zero family.

(except my husband who sometimes can drive me up a wall sideways, but hopefully he'll be on his best behavior tomorrow.) 

• imageMLvK:

Wow.  Everyone. Wine.  Lots of it.  Martha, give us a recap on Friday, please. 

Its just my family of four this year and my best friend and her family.  So since half of our group is 4 and under, I'm really only cooking for 4 adults.  I still have lots of wine, champagne and beer to get through it.  And zero family.

(except my husband who sometimes can drive me up a wall sideways, but hopefully he'll be on his best behavior tomorrow.) 

Michelle, I am afraid my recap will be boring unless I get drunk and get the ball rolling.  Which I am not sure I am willing to do bc I really need my mom to not be mad at me so she will help me with the kids while DH is traveling for weeks on end.  I have to be hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.  I plan to ignore the fact that my sister's boyfriend's sister is gay unless she brings it up, in which case I will tell her "I am flattered you think its important I know your sexuality, but I am unavailable for dating, gay or straight, bc unlike my sister I do not believe in having a relationship with another person while I am married".  But if someone else goes haywire, I'm gonna enjoy my popcorn and of course share the story.  :)

I've already let it be known what I think of my sister dating while her marriage is getting dissolved - in the nicest way I know how.  I got told to shut it and defriended for a while on FB.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"