C-sections

Puffiness/tenderness above incision (5wk pp)?

I noticed that the area above my incision was tender and a puffy pink color. I called the dr. and she looked at it. She found it very odd to be happening at over 5 weeks pp. She said it *might* be the start of an infection but didn't want to just put me on antibiotics unless symptoms get worse( pus, extreme redness, or I experience fever and chills). I'm a little uneasy about this "wait and see" approach...

Anyone else have this? I'm frustrated since I've been so vigilant with the restrictions I've been given. The only thing I did differently in the past few days was carry my DS in a Moby for a few hours (but sat down here and there). Wondering if this caused the inflammation??

If you did have an infection, what type of antibiotics were you given? How long did you have to stay on them for? Were you able to BF?

TIA!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Puffiness/tenderness above incision (5wk pp)?

• Hi there.  I ended up with a severe infection at about 2 weeks pp and was admitted to the hospital to have IV antibiotics given to me.  It was awful.  My incision was red, hard to the touch and very warm.  I did get a fever as well.  The antibiotics worked--I was put on some form of penicillin for 10 days after leaving the hospital.  Everything cleared up well but I just recently got a yeast infection around my incision--due to all of the antibiotics.  It's a vicious cycle.  My doctor gave me a topical cream and that has cleared up the yeast infection.

I still have one small spot that has not closed/healed all the way yet and has a tiny amount of discharge.  My doctor told me that it's fairly normal and nothing to worry about.  It's annoying but I figure if he's not worried and I don't notice an infection coming back, that I need to just know it will heal on it's own time.

This is all very annoying, I know.  Hang in there and please push your doctor if you think you need meds to take care of the problem.  I hope it's nothing but don't wait too long to call your doc back if you notice things aren't improving. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an infection 6 weeks PP, tender/pain/hot to the touch even though my incision was basically sealed after a couple weeks ... my MW sent me to the OBG who said it usually occurs in the first couple weeks and he hadn't seen an infection 6 weeks later. He gave me antibiotics which were safe to BF with...

I remember reading a bump poster who said they thought it might be a pocket of fluid that releases as the incision is healing and that maybe that didn't happen until a few weeks in. I'll go with that but wish that my MW would have taken my night chills/fever a little more seriously at the time! I think I personally fought that infection for a few weeks before they figured it out.

Feel better soon!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"