Georgia Babies

Recycling question

We got a recycling curbie from the city and now we have no clue what we can put in it. I know this is dumb but we've just never recycled. I know I can do beer bottles, cans, milk jugs but what about:

magazines?

junk mail?

plastic food containers from take out?

anything else we can throw in there?

Also do you just throw everything in that big curbie or do we put it in bags?

Sorry I know this is really dumb and that we should have been doing this all along but we're behind. We are trying to be better.  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Recycling question

• DH is the recycling guy in our house and we just got one of the curbies a few months ago. He puts virtually anything in there. You can look at most items and they'll be stamped with a little triangle with a number in it. If the plastic item has the number on it, you're safe to recycle it. We recycle all our take-out containers, milk cartons, pizza boxes, mags, you name it.

Rob does clean much of the stuff before he puts it in our inside bins. Then, he transfers it all to the curbie - no bag. It's reduced our household waste by half. Our regular garbage takes double the time to fill up now. And City of East Point links us in through a program called RecycleBank where we can accrue points. 

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Call your sanitation company because they may limit what you can put in there.  I know my friend had WM and couldn't put most plastics (I think she could only put #5 or something like that) and she couldn't put newspapers/magazines.  When I lived in my apartment in Vinings, we used to take a trip together to the Cobb county dump to bring our recycleables.  Also, behind Harry's in Marietta, they have a recycling center. 

But like I said it varies, because when I lived in Woodstock, I had WM, too.  I could put plastics 1-7 in there, all paper, boxes, cardboard, mail, clear and colored glass, metal, etc.  

At this point, I recycle so much that I have barely any trash.  I need the big wheeled bin for my recycling and a small box for my trash.  

• Loading the player...
  • I'd look online to verify for plastics.  There are a few #s that we ours doesn't take.
  • I'm in Dekalb County and we put any kind of paper in our blue bin (cardboard, magazines, junk mail, etc) and we put all containers (plastic 1-6, glass, cans) in big blue garbage bags that we buy from the county. 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• I know ours won't take plastic bags.  Ticks me off.  They'll take most anything else though.  Not sure about newspapers.  I need to look into that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Quick question- How do you get the recycling curbie from the city of Atlanta?  We still have the recycling bin and we max it out on a regular basis.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageJuelsr:

Quick question- How do you get the recycling curbie from the city of Atlanta?  We still have the recycling bin and we max it out on a regular basis.

I just called and asked for a recycling curbie. There is a 6-8 week delivery period through or you can pick it up on certain saturdays at the waste mgmt dept.

thanks everyone. I finally found the recycling info page for the city of atlanta. I'm hoping we cut our trash in half now.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Becareful about the junk mail. Take off your name and address. Some counties allow inmates to sort recycling. But do call them up and see what you can put in it. We can do plastics, glass, and metal but no paper. It varies in most places.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"