North Carolina Babies

Need sleep help and also moms of boys come in:

First-Cam has discovered his frank and beans. He starting grabbing them this week in the bath and during diaper changes.....is that normal? At first of course I was worried that he was having pain or something, but now I am thinking it is just something for him to grab?? Of course it doesn't help that Jocelyn screams "MOM HE'S GRABBING HIS WIENER!!! Like it is the most exciting thing she has ever seen...

Second. I am in desperate need of sleep training advice for Cam. He only sleeps in 3/4 hour spurts at night and is up at 5:45 every day. He just won't sleep long. Does anyone have any book suggestions? CIO really isn't an option because his room is across the hall from Jocelyn's and you can hear him screaming. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need sleep help and also moms of boys come in:

• Grabbing his stuff is normal. DS#1 does the same. One of my nephews when he was around 5-6 would grab his crotch every time he got excited (LOL) so I think it's just a boy thing...a bit odd if you're not used to it, but according to all my SILs that have boys, all of theirs did it too.

No idea on the sleep thing if you're not doing CIO...that's what we did with DS#1 and will do with  #2 when we get there. GL! Hope you find something that works well for you all.

• Cam is a boy. His penis IS his favorite thing in the world. Just like every other boy/man. It's normal for him to grab it, yep. It won't stop, ever. :P At least as he gets older, you can explain to him that it's not polite to touch himself in public. But for now, it's just the way it is.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedbertagni:

First-Cam has discovered his franks and beans.

Ok, this is funny :)

Yeah, they notice them when they are naked.  No biggie, its normal.

Good luck with sleeping.  I've got nothing for that one. 

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageECUGirl2004:
    Cam is a boy. His penis IS his favorite thing in the world. Just like every other boy/man. It's normal for him to grab it, yep. It won't stop, ever. :P At least as he gets older, you can explain to him that it's not polite to touch himself in public. But for now, it's just the way it is.

Sigh...I didn't expect it to start this early. He does get all happy when he finds it. Good thing is he so cute..it makes this stuff tolerable. 

• I did remember something I did from The Baby Whisperer, it was starting to help before we got off track.  I emailed details because it was long.

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nic was the worst sleeper and slept in spurts of 3-4 hours until about 8-9 months when sleep training finally clicked.  We used the sleep easy solution so it was a CIO method.  I hope he starts sleeping better.  Nic was not interested in his penis until later but totally normal.
  • Yep boys love to grab themselves and as u've noticed it starts early and continues. As far as the sleep thing. I remember u saying on the boards and at a playdate once that he sorta naps all over the place and doesnt necessarily nap on a schedule and now that he's getting older it might be that he's overtired and having a hard time staying asleep or settled. Try creating a lil more of a schedule for him during the day to hopefully make him less over tired at night and see if that helps.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have read both Baby Whisperer and Babywise and I use probably a combo of both.  L's naps were all over the place until she reached a little after 4 months.  It was driving me nuts b/c I really like predictability, but I know that's normal with a baby that age but it didn't make it any easier. 

She's 5 months now and *pretty* predictable in her napping and *normally* sleeps 10-12 hours a night and gets 1 morning and 1 afternoon nap and usually eats 7 times.

• imagestarz080:

I have read both Baby Whisperer and Babywise and I use probably a combo of both.  L's naps were all over the place until she reached a little after 4 months.  It was driving me nuts b/c I really like predictability, but I know that's normal with a baby that age but it didn't make it any easier. 

She's 5 months now and *pretty* predictable in her napping and *normally* sleeps 10-12 hours a night and gets 1 morning and 1 afternoon nap and usually eats 7 times.

Wow. 7 times?? I have the baby from hell, I hate to say that but life has been really difficult and unpredictable. He refuses to eat 50% of the time (and yes we have seen a doctor numerous times for this, changed formulas, medicine, etc). So he pretty much snacks during the day, he may have 5 or so bottles if that.

He takes on average 4 naps a day and he has to nap around every 2 hours or all hell breaks loose. Jocelyn was like that too, she was on 4 naps a day until almost 1 year old.  We have a little bit of a schedule. He wakes up at 5:45am, takes a short morning nap, eats a little, takes a mid morning nap. Eats, takes a long afternoon nap, and then a later afternoon nap. He goes to bed around 8ish (depending on when his last nap was). He sleeps from around 8-2am, has a bottle and then goes back to sleep until 5:45am. I have no problems putting him to sleep, it's just the waking up in the night and at 5:45am wake up I'd like to stop. We have a sound machine and room darkening curtains. Jocelyn didn't STTN until 7 months, so we'll see.

• Yes, 7 times per day.  That's what she's been doing since around 3 months, I think?  I don't really like for her to snack.  I know some would vehemently disagree with me on this, but I try to stick with full feedings.  Both my girls love/loved their bottles (I currently EP) so getting them to eat hasn't been problem (there are always exceptions though).

imagedbertagni:
    imagestarz080:

I have read both Baby Whisperer and Babywise and I use probably a combo of both.  L's naps were all over the place until she reached a little after 4 months.  It was driving me nuts b/c I really like predictability, but I know that's normal with a baby that age but it didn't make it any easier. 

Wow. 7 times?? I have the baby from hell, I hate to say that but life has been really difficult and unpredictable. He refuses to eat 50% of the time (and yes we have seen a doctor numerous times for this, changed formulas, medicine, etc). So he pretty much snacks during the day, he may have 5 or so bottles if that.

He takes on average 4 naps a day and he has to nap around every 2 hours or all hell breaks loose. Jocelyn was like that too, she was on 4 naps a day until almost 1 year old.  We have a little bit of a schedule. He wakes up at 5:45am, takes a short morning nap, eats a little, takes a mid morning nap. Eats, takes a long afternoon nap, and then a later afternoon nap. He goes to bed around 8ish (depending on when his last nap was). He sleeps from around 8-2am, has a bottle and then goes back to sleep until 5:45am. I have no problems putting him to sleep, it's just the waking up in the night and at 5:45am wake up I'd like to stop. We have a sound machine and room darkening curtains. Jocelyn didn't STTN until 7 months, so we'll see.

• imagestarz080:

Yes, 7 times per day.  That's what she's been doing since around 3 months, I think?  I don't really like for her to snack.  I know some would vehemently disagree with me on this, but I try to stick with full feedings.  Both my girls love/loved their bottles (I currently EP) so getting them to eat hasn't been problem (there are always exceptions though).

imagedbertagni:
    imagestarz080:

I would love for him to eat 7x a day and have a full feeding. Each feeding is a struggle. Jocelyn was not like that at all. She ate 8oz 4-5 times a day on schedule. Ugg. So stressful.

• I'm sorry, Dbert :(   That sucks.  I was wondering if the good start formula was helping.  I guess it's the same, huh?  I'm sure a doc has looked into a possible milk allergy?  I'm just thinking aloud here....
  • Honestly, I think you might need to try and put him on a more rigid schedule. Seems as if he may be overly tired or not tired enough (sometimes its hard to tell which!) when you put him down at night. Maybe try getting him to nap in his bed more might help. I realize you have to do things with J too but Cam is the infant and needs a bit more attention right now. I feel like if you could just get him on a better schedule things might be easier for you. Though I do think he is doing great for 5 months + if he is sleeping from 8 till 2am and only getting up once. I don't think 5:45 is that horrible to tell you the truth. D3 gets up at 6:30 every day and always has. It's early, but it's life. If you truly can't handle 5:45 then you might want to try CIO. I know you said that wasn't an option because of J, but maybe trying making it a special event for J and letting her sleep somewhere else for a couple nights. Then you can let Cam CIO and J can feel special too.

I hate to hear you say you have the baby from hell, that makes me sad! He's so sweet. 

• Thanks for the advice-I just ordered the no cry sleep solution, so we'll see. It is hard to stick to a routine when I have preschool pick up and drop off 4x a week plus other various appointments. I am sure eventually it will work out.

LLG-it makes me sad to say I have the baby from hell too, but if you can imagine almost 6months of crying EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. it gets to you . Sigh... We have his 6 month check coming up so maybe I'll get some more help.

• Hey there! I rarely check in anymore just because I don't have time, but i do still peek in from time to time. I'll throw my 2cents in too, since C was a tiugh sell on sleep.  From what you're saying, it doesn't sound terribly abnormal. It sounds like you got lucky with J and Cam is perfectly normal. If he is refusing feelings, try less more frequently. I agree it is more difficult to get the schedule going when you have preschool, but it's not impossible. When C was about 6mos we really got the routine down. Bedtime is strictly at 7pm and she wakes up when she wakes up, but usually around 6. Also, she got up to eat at least 2x a night until she was 9mos and at least 1x until she was almost a year. That's mostly due to the fact that she has so many food allergies. Anyhow, getting her on a schedule was the key for me. However she still woke up at night for a long time.  as for CIO with another one trying to sleep, C goes to bed at 7. Ben goes to bed at 8. That gave us an hour of time to work with. Also? He has never woke up to her crying. Their rooms are right next to each other. He's still really young. You shouldn't expect him to go longer than 7hrs between feedings. 7hrs is considered STTN. Hang in there. It just sounds like you were lucky with J, and Cam needs a little more help. Also, have you introduced solids yet? That might help to fill him up more.
  • D didn't start sleeping through the night until 6 months after I weaned and we CIO.  I also read the book Babywise and thought it was great.  And when I say "STTN" I mean 7-8 hours.  His bedtime was 9pm and he'd wake up around 4-6am for a feeding and fall back asleep until 9sih.  Now he sleeps completely through the night 11hrs from 9p-8a.  If you're waking up to feed him, you need to cut out the feeding and eventually he'll realize it's not worth waking up and sleep through it.  Definitely start trying to have him on more of a schedule during the day.  I feel like this helped us the most.  D was on the boob all of the time, wouldn't nap in his crib and I felt like a prisoner.  I finally bit the bullet and put him down at specific times in the crib CIO'd during the day as well and I finally got some relief.  You have to listen to his cues, but also be looking at the clock too.  Honestly, nap time still rules our life, but I've learned to adjust my life around his schedule.  Play dates, shopping trips, etc. do NOT happen at nap time.  If D doesn't nap well/skips a nap, he ends up having night terrors because he's so over tired.  We're still doing two naps at 15 months.  I know you have to juggle with J but I think focusing on Cam's sleeping problems should take priority right now like PP said.  When Cam's napping well, you'll have more time to spend with her 1:1 and it will be a positive and beneficial thing for everyone.

P.S.  D also loves touching himself during diaper changes.  It's totally normal.

Good luck! 

0Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"