Georgia Babies
Options

Since we're talking about illnesses...

I swear if it's out there, my kid is going to get it!  I totally get he's in daycare and it comes with the territory, but sheesh!  I would say since MJD was six months old we have now had 4 ear infections, 2 bouts with strep, Hand Foot and Mouth, and Fifth Disease is going around his class, and we think that's the rash he's now got.  OH and don't forget all the other random runny noses, coughs, etc that lead to the subsequent ear infections.  His immune system better be like steel when he's older, or bless him he may turn into bubble boy.

Ok, vent over...

Re: Since we're talking about illnesses...

• Options
    My boys are the same way and Bryce still hasn't gone to school yet but he still gets sick. Bailey has gotten WAY better since about 18 months. He had 1 or 2 things but nothing like he was that first year. Crossing fingers that since Bryce already has tubes that he'll be fine starting in january.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Here's how it went with Gavin and so far Sophie is following the same pattern... both kids were very healthy infants.  Even though Gavin had a collapsed lung at birth, he stayed very healthy up until he weaned at 8 mos.  Within 1 month, he had an ear infection and then maybe 1 or 2 other odd illnesses until he turned 1.  Then after his 1st birthday, all hell broke loose.  Rapid fire coughs, colds, ear infections, pneumonia, HFM, too many to remember.  That's what I'm so scared of w/ Sophie right now.  It feels like she's already hitting this pattern.  His pneumonia was the one with the longest lingering effect.  After that bug, any cold went straight to his lungs.  For 1 full year he was pretty much on breathing treatments all.the.time.  It sucked and I was so afraid he would have asthma for life.  Then we got ear tubes at 21 mos (tried much sooner but he kept getting sick!) and it all stopped.  He had one more bout of pneumonia while we were in Wisconsin over Christmas but after that round of breathing treatments he really never needed it again.  I still have the nebulizer just in case b/c I'm so paranoid about that cycle starting over for him or Sophie.  The tubes lasted about 12-14 mos which is above average.  Then he had a few more ear infections right before he turned 3 and one of those ended in Toxic Synovitis which crippled him last Christmas.  That was enough and the ENT did a second round of tubes early this year.  So far so good.  He's been much healthier this year so I'm hoping the worst is behind us.  As for Sophie, 1 more ear infection and we are headed to the ENT for tubes.  I will not let it go so long with her.  If I were you, I would go ahead and call the ENT for an appointment.  It can take a while to get in and really, it made such a world of difference for Gavin, I felt guilty for not taking him sooner!  Good luck- I totally understand!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies!  I really do need to see about an ENT.  The weird illnesses, I'm sure there's just nothing you can do, but literally when I hear a cold or any drainage, I know his ears are next.  And we are just now hitting into the colder months - :o

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"