Birth Stories
Options

My preemie birth story (15 mos later)..long

We found out that I was pregnant on Christmas Eve.  Our due was to be Oct. 1st 2011.  We had been trying for 4 months or so and were ecstatic when the HPT was positive. 

My pregnancy overall was very unremarkable?I didn?t have any issues what so ever until about 27 weeks.  I had no morning sickness, no aches, pains, swelling etc. 

Summer went very well and I was enjoying being pregnant.  I was lucky and was able to take vacation from work 1 week after the 4th of July so I had a nice relaxing two weeks off from work.  The first day following vacation, I returned to work (veterinary technician).   I had noticed around 10 am that morning that my lower back had to started to ache a bit.  I figured this was the beginning of aching, tired portion of 3rd tri and didn?t think too much about it.  About an hour later, I took two Tylenol to ease the ache and continued working.  Around 11:30am, I noticed that the Tylenol wasn?t helping much so I tried sitting/standing different positions to no avail.  I called my OB at this point to see if they had any suggestions or if there was anything else that I could take.  While talking to the receptionist, she put me on hold and came back a few minutes later and said that my doctor recommended me to come in and get checked to make sure I wasn?t dehydrated.  So, I went on my lunch break (her office is right across the street from where I worked) thinking it would be a quick appointment.  I showed up, they put a fetal monitor on me and we came to find out that I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes.  Next thing I know, I?m hooked up to an IV and having my cervix checked with luckily no change.  My husband came from work and we sat at the hospital for about 8 hours (they used Terbutaline to stop the contractions).

I was sent home and told to take it easy until I see my OB.  When I saw my OB later that week, she put me on modified bed rest and told me to take it easy and to watch for contractions of 6 or more in an hour.  If they came back, I was to return to the hospital.  Well, that Saturday rolled around and I was watching TV when I noticed I was having contractions again (now I knew what they felt like).  So, back to the hospital I went.  This time, I was kept over night since the Terbutaline wasn?t working and they had to give me Mag Sulfate.  That evening while in the hospital, my OB was on call and she came in to talk to me.  I totally lost it that point and ended up balling on her shoulders while she told me everything was going to be ok.  They checked me and my cervix was thinned to 1.8cm when it should have been around 3.8-4cm.  The next morning I was sent home on strict bedrest and I was to have a cervical U/S on Tuesday.  Tuesday came and I had my cervix checked.  I was 1 cm dilated.  I hadn?t had any contractions since Saturday so, strict bedrest was the plan.

That evening, I got up to make hamburger helper (figuring it was just a matter of throwing some hamburger in a pan). I made dinner and my DH came home.  After dinner, I got up to go to the bathroom and I felt a warm small trickle.  I honestly thought I just tinkled a little bit.  So, I decided to go to the bathroom and I got a shower.  While in the shower, I felt that same small trickle again.  I got out, called for my DH and sat on the toilet.  As soon as he came in, I trickled again and he heard it.  Then we knew. My water had broken.

In a flurry, we jumped in the car and were on our way to the hospital.  It didn?t really sink in until I walked up to the desk in the ER and had to tell the lady at the desk what happened.  Next thing I know, I was in a wheel chair going up to L&D. 

Again, like the previous trips, I was put on an IV, fetal monitor and given Mag Sulfate. We had to make the choice of being moved to a different hospital since the hospital I was at only had a small, level 2 NICU and we would need a level 3.

From then on, I sat in the hospital for 5 days on every antibiotic known to man trying to keep the baby cooking.

The day I went into labor, one of the doctors I worked with stopped by to bring me some goodies and to visit.  While she was there, it happened to be time to be put on the fetal monitor.  We chatted etc and were interrupted by the nurse coming in?She said that my heart rate was elevated and asked if I was ok.  I felt fine.  Then she told me I was having contractions again (which were off and on during my hospital stay).  They checked my cervix?I was at 2cm.  It looked like I was going to deliver today.

I was taken from the high risk floor and moved to L&D.  From there I labored for 9.5 hours med-free. I was checked at the 9.5hour mark and was still only at 2cm.  So, they started me on Pitocin ( I was really hoping for a natural birth).  At that point my contractions were no longer bareable so I asked for and Epi.  After the Epi, my dad said I was the happiest person he?s ever seen in labor.  I was able to rest and a few short hours later, I was at 10! (thank goodness, I didn?t want a C-section).  My epi didn?t take as well as they do with most so I was still able to feel the urge to pee (at which the nurse didn?t believe me at first).  I also felt Cam move down (hard to explain the feeling).  I told the nurse what I felt and she checked me?His head was right there!

I delivered Cameron in a surgery suite just in case things got difficult.   It took a total of 4 pushes and he was out!  He was 2lbs 15oz and 15 1/2in long (ges. 30wks 1 day).  He needed little intervention for breathing and was taken to the NICU.

Recovery for me was relatively easy.  I had to stay in the hospital for 4 extra days since I developed a uterine infection from my water being broke.  I was sore and only had a small tear with 1 suture. 

Cameron stayed in the NICU for 35ish days and came home the first week of September.  He came home at 4lbs 6oz.  He had NO issues what so ever, he just needed to grow!  Now he is a healthy happy 15 month old! 

We are pregnant again and now have a plan.  We never found out the reason for the preterm labor but this time we are ready and know what to expect.  I am nervous, but optimistic!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70138510@N08/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My preemie birth story (15 mos later)..long

• Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. One thing I found out about being a NICU mom is all the things you wouldn't have learned if your LO went home 1-2 days later as planned. We never asked for the scary struggle and long time in the NICU, but everything happens for a reason and I learned so many things from the wonderful staff. Congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"