Maryland Babies

Introduction

Hello ladies,

So I feel a bit weird calling it an introduction considering I feel like I've been hanging out with you ladies since the knot for my 2008 wedding. I guess technically I'm what you call a "lurker" but I do hate that word it sounds so negative!  But I don't post enough to qualify for anything else I suppose.

Making me feel like an even bigger imposter I don't even live in Maryland. We live in NYC.  I grew up in Maryland and my family lives in Hanover. Since my wedding was in Baltimore I kind of started on the Baltimore board and have stuck around ever since.

My husband and I are expecting our first little one in April. I'm 20 weeks and we just went in this morning for our 2nd sonogram. We didn't find out the sex of the baby (we are on the fence about finding out or more like --I-- am on the fence about finding out)  but we had them write it down and seal it in an envelope.

We were thinking of doing the  whole gender cake thing to share with my parents and sisters this Thanksgiving. Has anyone done this and could they recommend a bakery? We'll be down in Maryland but worried we aren't giving baker enough time. We might hold off for Christimas or officially go team green and forget the cake altogether....

Anyway hello and congrats to all the other moms out there. I'll try to post more often!

scrunched up face

Re: Introduction

• Welcome and congrats!!  Where in NYC are you?  DH and I were there until a few years ago...
    lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • Welcome welcome!! I grew up in queens and now live in md so we are opposites! Wanna switch?! Kidding . Congrats on your little one and enjoy your surprise!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!  We live in the UWS although technically I feel it's more like where midtown ends than UWS (62nd and West End)

How was the transition for you moving from NYC to MD?

My husband has asked  to be transferred down to the DC office and for a minute there it looked like it might happen but then got put in the back burner. We're still hoping it might happen and haven't given up hope...maybe with the new year and budget....but I'm awfully concerned about how my husband will handle the transition. He says he's ready for a change but he grew up here and even when we go down to visit my family the whole having to get into a car to get anywhere sends him to a tizzy. :)

Which is why I thought if the transfer happens we'd have to first do city living but we also want to buy and feel we'd outgrow a condo in the city so fast....it seems more economical to buy outside city but worried my urban hubby might be miserable and me too..living in NY I've grown to hate driving and appreciate walking so much.

scrunched up face
  • I'm no help, but I did want to say congrats!!!
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Congratulations and welcome!

• Congrats and welcome!!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • imagenynews:

Thanks!  We live in the UWS although technically I feel it's more like where midtown ends than UWS (62nd and West End)

How was the transition for you moving from NYC to MD?

My husband has asked  to be transferred down to the DC office and for a minute there it looked like it might happen but then got put in the back burner. We're still hoping it might happen and haven't given up hope...maybe with the new year and budget....but I'm awfully concerned about how my husband will handle the transition. He says he's ready for a change but he grew up here and even when we go down to visit my family the whole having to get into a car to get anywhere sends him to a tizzy. :)

Which is why I thought if the transfer happens we'd have to first do city living but we also want to buy and feel we'd outgrow a condo in the city so fast....it seems more economical to buy outside city but worried my urban hubby might be miserable and me too..living in NY I've grown to hate driving and appreciate walking so much.

Lol - yeah, I did my undergrad at Columbia, so 62nd and West End is more or less midtown to me. ;)  What a fabulous neighborhood, though! 

The transition was a little easier for us since we both lived in Baltimore through high school and were SO ready for the change.  We did a slower transition too - though we were outside of DC in Fairfax at first renting while we figured out where we'd want to buy for the long haul.  In the end we ended up on the other end of the spectrum in Clarksville, MD - which I **love** but it's definitely been an adjustment.  COL was a huge wakeup call since you have the added expenses of cars, insurance, gas, etc etc etc - and I'd all but forgotten to drive before we got back.  But it was definitely the right move for us.  We wanted a yard and a home we'd eventually own outright and just a more "normal" life, if that makes sense, and so we're more or less enjoying the learning curve as much as we can and working toward the dream.  Lol 

In any event, while you're not going to duplicate NY, there are obviously a ton of options on the urban to rural spectrum around here.  Keep us updated on the potential move!

lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • Congrats and welcome!!
  • Congrats and welcome! I love the idea of the surprise reveal and am kicking myself for not having the tech write it down instead of telling us right there. I have also seen an idea where people take the envelope to a baby clothing store, pick out two outfits (boy and girl), hand both to the sales person, leave for a bit and they wrap up the outfit that goes with the gender. Then you can open it whenever you want and the blue or pink (or purple or green or yellow) tells you what you're having. We are definitely doing this for #2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats and welcome!  
    IUI#1 = 09/10 - Canceled - Dx w/POF
    DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
  • imageMella&T:
    Congrats and welcome! I love the idea of the surprise reveal and am kicking myself for not having the tech write it down instead of telling us right there. I have also seen an idea where people take the envelope to a baby clothing store, pick out two outfits (boy and girl), hand both to the sales person, leave for a bit and they wrap up the outfit that goes with the gender. Then you can open it whenever you want and the blue or pink (or purple or green or yellow) tells you what you're having. We are definitely doing this for #2.

I LOVE this idea and have not heard of this one yet!  This was my first day off in a while and I spent most of it perusing baby clothes online and became obsessed with all the cute stuff out there. I love the idea of opening it up on Christmas too...

We'll see if I can hold out....that envelope has been calling my name all day especially after my best friend living in Spain sent me a picture of the store front of a baby clothing store near her.

It's so adorable I have to share. Hope it works I've never posted a pic before. If it's a girl I'm totally buying that white winter coat in the upper left hand corner. I don't care how unpractical it is! My friend assures me there's plenty there for boys too.

This may be the way to go!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    scrunched up face
  • augh sorry for the huge picture I thought I chose the code for message boards!

anyway thanks for the warm welcome ladies.

scrunched up face
  • Congrats and Welcome!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats and welcome! I say go Team Green! We were team green and while it seemed to infuriate everyone else, it was so cool for us! And now we have an adorable baby boy! As for bakeries, I don't know what area of Baltimore you will be visiting, but my votes for Yia Yias Bakery in White Marsh/ Rosedale area. https://www.yiayiasbakery.com/.  I'm sure if you called them soon they would have no problem accomodating your request...but thats just a guess :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"